2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

4 hours ago, Professoreire said:

Hi all. Does anyone have any insight on the turnaround time with waitlists? What I mean is, if someone rescinds an offer would a DGS typically make an offer to a waitlisted student almost immediately or could it take several weeks (as seems to be the case for the above poster)? or is there simply too much variation between schools to infer a pattern? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I believe there is too much variation to infer a pattern about timing. I don't have any insight about how departments time decisions/notifications, but I think there are some things to consider about waitlists that have helped me manage expectations...

In many cases, someone declining an offer does not lead to someone being accepted off the waitlist. It is important to remember that most schools already have "built-in" alternates before they even consider the waitlist. Since schools generally have an idea that 1 in 2 or 1 in 4, etc. will accept the offer, they admit students accordingly. So, if we think about a school that admits 30 applicants for an expected cohort of 10, we know that even if 20 students decline, there may not be any movement on the waitlist. 

This cycle, I can think of few schools that admitted only a handful more students than they plan to have attend in the fall. In these cases, there may be more movement/more rapid movement as the schools plan to use an "active" waitlist to ensure they get only as many students as they can afford and no more. 

Another thing happening behind the scenes is that departments may or may not be managing subfield waitlists... doesn't affect whether they notify people a day later or weeks later but it's helpful--for me at least--to keep in mind.  

8 hours ago, Professoreire said:

Hi all. Does anyone have any insight on the turnaround time with waitlists? What I mean is, if someone rescinds an offer would a DGS typically make an offer to a waitlisted student almost immediately or could it take several weeks (as seems to be the case for the above poster)? or is there simply too much variation between schools to infer a pattern? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

3 hours ago, funfetti said:

I believe there is too much variation to infer a pattern about timing. I don't have any insight about how departments time decisions/notifications, but I think there are some things to consider about waitlists that have helped me manage expectations...

In many cases, someone declining an offer does not lead to someone being accepted off the waitlist. It is important to remember that most schools already have "built-in" alternates before they even consider the waitlist. Since schools generally have an idea that 1 in 2 or 1 in 4, etc. will accept the offer, they admit students accordingly. So, if we think about a school that admits 30 applicants for an expected cohort of 10, we know that even if 20 students decline, there may not be any movement on the waitlist. 

This cycle, I can think of few schools that admitted only a handful more students than they plan to have attend in the fall. In these cases, there may be more movement/more rapid movement as the schools plan to use an "active" waitlist to ensure they get only as many students as they can afford and no more. 

Another thing happening behind the scenes is that departments may or may not be managing subfield waitlists... doesn't affect whether they notify people a day later or weeks later but it's helpful--for me at least--to keep in mind.  

I second everything above. I was in touch with the DGS and she told me that the waitlist was broken down into subfields and I was first for mine. So, I got extremely lucky that the person that declined was for my subfield. 

12 hours ago, insightfulramblings said:

I second everything above. I was in touch with the DGS and she told me that the waitlist was broken down into subfields and I was first for mine. So, I got extremely lucky that the person that declined was for my subfield. 

I'm on waiting list too. The DGS sent me an email on Friday, asked me if I remain interested in this program. What does it mean?

On 2/12/2021 at 1:20 AM, sptnic said:

Just received a mail from Dept. of History of Art & Architecture, UCSB. It's an Open House invitation, sent from the Grad. Admission Advisor.

Anyone would also join this Open House? 

update: got rejected several days ago. My poi told me it was because they received some new information after the Open House from the university, which made them could only admit California US citizens this year.
Well done University of Cal!

10 hours ago, SchnozEP said:

I'm on waiting list too. The DGS sent me an email on Friday, asked me if I remain interested in this program. What does it mean?

Probably gauging people’s interest to cut down the waitlist even more. Wouldn’t read too much into it at this point sadly. 

*Visualize Bernie Meme when reading this pls*

I am once again asking you to decline your UGA offer if you can. It is my literal only hope and also an important school to me. Please please. Please please. Please. I cannot express enough how much this place means to me (outside of it being my last possible option). 

Please.

Want to underscore poliscipls plea but at a general level. If you know you're not going to go to one or more of the schools that accepted you, you should really decline the offer(s) ASAP. It benefits no one to hold off, and it generates some modicum of goodwill to be a 'good citizen' of the profession, i.e., to facilitate moving down the waitlist(s). Keep in mind that as an incoming PhD student, let alone a possible future academic, you're dealing with people are going to be your peers and colleagues.

(And we may not be talking about in terms of "the invisible college." I'm old enough to have interviewed, discussed the papers of, & helped out people who got accepted at Georgetown but went elsewhere – almost always for totally legit reasons; if you've dealt with me you may know that I'll tell prospective students to go elsewhere when it's in their interests to do so). 

Edited by dnexon

Has anyone received official rejections or even waitlist offers from UCLA? I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and they said they were "making their way through the applications slowly", but that they would get back within a week.

It seems a bit weird to me that a few acceptances went out earlier in the cycle but then there's been no waitlists or rejections.

24 minutes ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

Has anyone received official rejections or even waitlist offers from UCLA? I emailed them a couple of weeks ago and they said they were "making their way through the applications slowly", but that they would get back within a week.

It seems a bit weird to me that a few acceptances went out earlier in the cycle but then there's been no waitlists or rejections.

I received a rejection on March 6. They sent an email indicating that I should check the portal. I (and perhaps others) haven't been very good about logging official rejections after assuming for so long that would be the case. 

1 hour ago, foxcarnival said:

I received a rejection on March 6. They sent an email indicating that I should check the portal. I (and perhaps others) haven't been very good about logging official rejections after assuming for so long that would be the case. 

Thanks! That's good to know. I haven't received any communication from them yet, so wondering if I'm still even in the running.

3 hours ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

No idea if it would be similar, but I heard faculty at UC Riverside that they send out acceptances "in batches", meaning they have a sort of unofficial waitlist to see if people from the first round decline. 

On 3/12/2021 at 10:06 AM, icemanyeo said:

Just heard back from Chicago -- 1/2 tuition offer with the total expenses coming out at about 40k without accounting for food/transportation/housing, so I'll be declining.

Just wanted to make a quick note here for anyone accepted to Chicago MA programs, its worth asking them for more $$$, especially if you have a funded offer somewhere to use as leverage.  There's no guarantee of course, but Chicago is a wealthy school so its worth asking them for more $$$.