2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

16 minutes ago, Habermas said:

Have you been admitted or are you asking for next year? If its the former, I would honestly just set up calls with your recommenders and run your options by them. My sense is that rankings mean less the smaller the differential, and things like differences in teaching responsibilities, stipend amount, life stuff will matter more at this stage than any perceived differences in prestige once we're talking within tier (CHYMPS/T15/T25/T50). This is especially true if you are comparing schools lower on the subfield list (Vanderbilt/OSU/WUSTL) and schools that could easily make it on said list next year. If you are comparing a school that is in the first half of the subfield list versus unranked subfield...well thats a different matter and probably worth considering. Just my two cents.

What are the schools that seem to have just missed the AP subfield list?

1 hour ago, Crossed_fingers said:

What are the schools that seem to have just missed the AP subfield list?

Important caveat: I'm not AP so I don't want to name schools based on my perception, but I'll share my logic on how I put together my CP list based on feedback on this topic.

I imagine all schools in T25 that aren't boutique or explicitly not focused on AP (rare) could be contenders to climb into ranked subfield spots sometime over the course of the next five years. I just don't think these subfield rankings mean much compared to what you and your recommenders think is best for you when we are talking about the rank differential OP is dealing with. Hope this is helpful despite the lack of specificity!

20 minutes ago, btermite said:

I just got a call from the program director for Government & Social Policy at Harvard letting me know I've been accepted!

Really can't believe it, I had completely given up hope for this cycle.

Huge congrats!!!

33 minutes ago, btermite said:

I just got a call from the program director for Government & Social Policy at Harvard letting me know I've been accepted!

CONGRATS!! I remember you saying that you applied as a "total crapshoot" LOL so I am thrilled that you got accepted!!! Should be real proud of yourself

37 minutes ago, btermite said:

Omg congratulations!!!!!! And you said it was a long shot!! That is amazing!!! I guess if I don't get a call I'll asume a rejection :D Did your portal update? Congrats again, really happy for you!

I believe for the PhD in Government we have not seen anybody on this thread claim the acceptance yet. On the result page there are Methods and Theory acceptances notified by phone (which seems to be the usual way Harvard has been doing for the past couple of years).   

45 minutes ago, btermite said:

Ahhh I'm so happy for an internet stranger haha. Congrats!!

Just now, Miss Evidence said:

I have seen it too. Just search for "Government" and it will appear. Both contacted by phone by the POI. Pardon my ignorance, but what does a POI mean? 

POI = person/prof of interest AKA the prof you want to work with!