2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

I really wish I would know what's going on with Vanderbilt ? I feel there's been so many trolls on the survey, so I am not sure what to trust but I really really wish I could hear good news from there... do you guys think there is any chance of getting an acceptance without an interview?

Sending love and patience to all of you...

Edited by Luxlux

18 minutes ago, Luxlux said:

I really wish I would know what's going on with Vanderbilt ? I feel there's been so many trolls on the survey, so I am not sure what to trust but I really really wish I could hear good news from there... do you guys think there is any chance of getting an acceptance without an interview?

Sending love and patience to all of you...

I received an unofficial acceptance email from the DGS on 2/17 after interviewing for AP the week before. I'm not sure if all of the acceptance emails have been sent out yet, but it seemed like a few others got an email on 2/17 as well.

22 minutes ago, politicsgal said:

I received an unofficial acceptance email from the DGS on 2/17 after interviewing for AP the week before. I'm not sure if all of the acceptance emails have been sent out yet, but it seemed like a few others got an email on 2/17 as well.

Thank you for the reply and congratulations on the admission!!

The only reason why I still have some faith is because my field is theory and I haven't seen anyone claiming interviews/admissions for theory in the forum. But of course that's just me holding on to hope... 

1 minute ago, Lurker929 said:

Claiming a Stanford acceptance - received a phone call around 11 AM (Mountain time). I was so excited I missed the professor's name! He said email would follow soon with details - still can't believe it! 

Incredible - congratulations! What subfield?

Have you received the email as well? I ask because I'm wondering what this might mean for international students who are outside the country.

Just now, poliscihopeful2021 said:

Incredible - congratulations! What subfield?

Have you received the email as well? I ask because I'm wondering what this might mean for international students who are outside the country.

IR subfield - I've been refreshing my email frantically, but haven't received it yet.  

3 hours ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

I'm astounded than an Ivy league university department can only offer a spot to 2 CP students, even if it's a pandemic year. Same question for Columbia and UPenn, both of whom didn't admit students to be able to support current students better. Maybe there's something about university funding that I don't get but where do those Ivy league endowments go???

University endowments never go towards actually productive things like paying grad students or anything like that. Lets also not forget that academic administration has been ballooning across the board which cuts into the bottom line of these universities as well. It's very feasible for universities to both pay grad students more AND keep cohort sizes larger if they wanted to. I can totally confirm what that other poster said about the 2 CP admits for Cornell though; I'm in seminars with a number of Govt professors here at Cornell this semester. I'm sure there is a lot beyond just the bottom line that goes into cohort size determination each year but I do agree with you that such scale backs when these schools make such much profits and have such large endowments seems absurd.    

1 hour ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

University endowments never go towards actually productive things like paying grad students or anything like that. Lets also not forget that academic administration has been ballooning across the board which cuts into the bottom line of these universities as well. It's very feasible for universities to both pay grad students more AND keep cohort sizes larger if they wanted to. I can totally confirm what that other poster said about the 2 CP admits for Cornell though; I'm in seminars with a number of Govt professors here at Cornell this semester. I'm sure there is a lot beyond just the bottom line that goes into cohort size determination each year but I do agree with you that such scale backs when these schools make such much profits and have such large endowments seems absurd.    

My guess is that some founding related to STEM acts as a cross subsidy to less market profitable fields such as humanities or social sciences. If that is not the case, then I guess if endowments make less returns or other sources of funding diminish because of the pandemic, like government scholarships, then Universities will reallocate budgets towards STEM since labs require to run non-stop because of long projects. I feel that reducing research output in STEM is far more incidental than in the social sciences for Univerisites founding in general (like big STEM grants) and long run academic output productivity in general (sciences have much more academic output). For instance, if a lab has a 8 year microbe study, then you just cant stop it.

Edited by skullkid