2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

12 minutes ago, skullkid said:

Can you leave yearly with 20k ? I find is such on the limit. Specially, if you eventually have to pay for additional things like medical visits or medication.

How much rent costs a decent (not good) housing option (say a shared flat with you own bedroom) in DC?

Edit: also, you will pay taxes from the 20k. If you are a non resident international student it can be between 11% and 15% of the stipend depending on the state income tax. 

Yeah that is pretty low for College Park/ DC area and compared to say other schools in areas without high cost of living. UMD is offering roughly 2k a month minus 350 taxes (fed, fica and state). Living on 1650 in the DC area will be difficult and unless you're prepared to live with at least 2 roommates. Guaranteed summer fellowship without TA/RA responsibility is nice though. You could perhaps pick up some extra gigs in the DC area to supplement the yearly amount.

1 minute ago, PolNerd said:

Yeah that is pretty low for College Park/ DC area and compared to say other schools in areas without high cost of living. UMD is offering roughly 2k a month minus 350 taxes (fed, fica and state). Living on 1650 in the DC area will be difficult and unless you're prepared to live with at least 2 roommates. Guaranteed summer fellowship without TA/RA responsibility is nice though. You could perhaps pick up some extra gigs in the DC area to supplement the yearly amount.

I agree. I responded because I am on a similar situation (accepted in a uni with low funding and high cost of living).

Shouldn't the right calculation be : 20k / 12 ? Since summer RAships are not guaranteed? If that's the case the monthly income pre tax is 1,650 approx monthly.

I don't know how much costs a private room in the College Park area.

18 minutes ago, skullkid said:

Can you leave yearly with 20k ? I find is such on the limit. Specially, if you eventually have to pay for additional things like medical visits or medication.

How much rent costs a decent (not good) housing option (say a shared flat with you own bedroom) in DC?

Edit: also, you will pay taxes from the 20k. If you are a non resident international student it can be between 11% and 15% of the stipend depending on the state income tax. 

18-20k is not at all easy depending on location -- you're just a couple thousand above the federal poverty threshold for one person. I've seen graduate students try to survive on that in Miami and the living (and diet) conditions were horrible. If you're American or a permanent resident I would definitely apply for all federal programs (SNAP, etc.) that you might be eligible for with the stipend amount.

On 2/16/2021 at 3:29 PM, skullkid said:

I agree. I responded because I am on a similar situation (accepted in a uni with low funding and high cost of living).

Shouldn't the right calculation be : 20k / 12 ? Since summer RAships are not guaranteed? If that's the case the monthly income pre tax is 1,650 approx monthly.

I don't know how much costs a private room in the College Park area.

The previous poster stated UMD offers summer fellowship for 4 summers, however, the amount hasn't be disclosed. I will say it will be around 23/24k a year including the summer. It is doable with roommates but you will likely be stressing about money a little bit. Anything below 30k in the DC area will be tough.

20k for 12 months, absolutely not. That is super low for the DC area.

Edited by PolNerd

On 2/16/2021 at 3:25 PM, PolNerd said:

Would they be able to work? I know some schools prohibit working off-campus if you hold certain fellowships like McNair.

Just now, crf1981 said:

Just got accepted at UMD through the interview! CP. So glad! Good luck everybody! 

I wonder what theyre doing for AP applicants, did they say anything about when official acceptances should go out?

On 2/16/2021 at 4:14 PM, crf1981 said:

They mentioned sending official offers tomorrow...

fingers crossed!! ive been on a rollercoaster with this whole process, especially UMD since I saw people getting interviews then noticed none of them were for AP eek! oh to be a fly on the wall of an admissions committee

Hello, I just found this forum and I have a question about my interview situation. So before submitting my application I spoke to 4 professors all in the same subfield (comparative politics) and who study my geographic region except one who studies a different region. I was recently invited to their finalist interview and was sent a form where I could fill out who I wanted to speak with and, since I could pick four people, I picked two professors I have already spoken with and two new ones. However (and here's the twist) when I received my final itinerary for the weekend, I was only scheduled to speak with 3 people.. 1 is the de facto leader of my subfield, next is someone who I put down on the form (essentially my POI), and third was the professor who doesn't study my region but helped me construct my application (I will be meeting with them in that order). BUT I've literally met with all three of these people before applying so I'm kind of confused why they would want to meet again. Should I be reading into the fact that 2 of the people I'm meeting with weren't even on my list or the fact that I didn't get 3/4 people I signed up to meet with? Truly stumped as to what this could mean or if there's any meaning at all behind this lol

Question for those that have applied to Syracuse -- in my "myslice" account, I have a little section called applicant services, and then underneath that, there's a tab for admissions acceptance. When I click that though, I get a page that says "This page is currently unavailable for your use." I can't remember if this was there before, and am wondering if other people have that as well? I haven't gotten an email from them or anything, so I honestly don't know what the deal is yet!

3 minutes ago, kmccorm327 said:

Question for those that have applied to Syracuse -- in my "myslice" account, I have a little section called applicant services, and then underneath that, there's a tab for admissions acceptance. When I click that though, I get a page that says "This page is currently unavailable for your use." I can't remember if this was there before, and am wondering if other people have that as well? I haven't gotten an email from them or anything, so I honestly don't know what the deal is yet!

This was there long time ago, probably you hided that tag bar at the beginning.