2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

1 minute ago, Crossed_fingers said:

I believe those are still contested. Acceptances were claimed but another poster said that they contacted the department and were told no decisions had been made yet.  

To be clear, I'm not accusing anyone involved of lying. Just trying to recall how those events transpired. 

That was last week though.  Today two people on the forum claimed acceptances from NW.

Just now, Crossed_fingers said:

I believe those are still contested. Acceptances were claimed but another poster said that they contacted the department and were told no decisions had been made yet. 

I thought someone said it was a mass DGS email? still weird but why would people troll on the forum yknow

Just now, spotted said:

I thought someone said it was a mass DGS email? still weird but why would people troll on the forum yknow

ok i def misremembered, just looked back through the thread and i was wrong about it being DGS, yall think theyre doing it individually/slowly over this week then? struggling to cope with the idea of basically 5 rejections in one week

Just now, spotted said:

ok i def misremembered, just looked back through the thread and i was wrong about it being DGS, yall think theyre doing it individually/slowly over this week then? struggling to cope with the idea of basically 5 rejections in one week

Northwestern usually sends one or two rounds of acceptances over like a week.  But with it being so competitive this year, I'm not very optimistic.  This could be all the acceptances for this year, but I hope I'm wrong.  

13 minutes ago, spotted said:

I received an email from the graduate school that there was a decision in my portal at noon ET today (acceptance, AP).

Edited by politicsgal
(Changed from DGS - it was from the graduate school broadly)

1 minute ago, StarkDark1 said:

I'm curious why there's a radio silence from some programs that released acceptances quite a while ago (like UMich and BU).  If I was put on the wait list, I'm sure they would have told me, like others.  Not sure what to make of it.  

I think I mentioned this before but BU is known for not telling people when they’ve been waitlisted or rather any status update at times, so it wouldn’t hurt to send an email. 

On a similar note, I still haven't received a formal rejection from UT Austin. Wonder if it's because I'm an international applicant and I refused to send in my TOEFL scores.. ?

At this point, should I assume a reject from Northwestern? I believe 4-5 people have received acceptances here today across the subfields. 

Edited:

Based on the website information FAQs, they specifically state that they do not send all decisions at the same time. Do you think they mean rejections and acceptances, or do you think it could mean there's still a chance to get accepted?

I know these are pointless speculations but I'm trying to grasp to the little hope I have left. 

Edited by nivy25

28 minutes ago, TheNeonGod said:

I am also claiming a NW admit, IR subfield. No email from the DGS yet, just an email telling me to check the application portal for the decision. 

26 minutes ago, polisciii said:

same here

What time did you receive the emails to check the portal? 

12 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

I think I mentioned this before but BU is known for not telling people when they’ve been waitlisted or rather any status update at times, so it wouldn’t hurt to send an email. 

Similar issue with Ohio State and UChicago, didn't get any notification yet from them as well. Any idea what they are known for? Silent means rejection or what?

Just now, A_21 said:

Similar issue with Ohio State and UChicago, didn't get any notification yet from them as well. Any idea what they are known for? Silent means rejection or what?

Yeah, from looking at previous years UChicago and OSU don't normally release rejections until a week or two after admits and waitlists go out. 

Just now, A_21 said:

Sorry, no idea. I only know of Boston because a friend of mine had this issue last year. She was waitlisted without notification and then got accepted off the waitlist later. 

Edit: Malfrost is definitely right about UChicago. I noticed that myself when I was checking their pattern earlier this cycle. 

Edited by BrownSugar

Just now, verschiedene said:

Also claiming a Northwestern admit! Beyond ecstatic, woke up in the middle of the night for my zoom class due to time difference and received the best news. Theory subfield with focus on critical theory

What time did you get the email?

1 hour ago, FingersCrossed2021 said:

Claiming a UCLA admit!! Ecstatic doesn't begin to cover it!!! After reading that tweet yesterday I had completely lost hope.  IR subfield, got an email to check the portal but nothing from the department yet. Any other admits heard anything about funding, and/or does anyone know if they typically fund all of their admits? Sending sooo many good vibes to those who are waiting for an update!

Congrats on UCLA! What tweet are you referring?