2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

I don't want to sound like a horrible person, but seeing other people receive rejections makes me feel like this is so normal. In the beginning, I would almost take it personally and almost think that other people are better, or more qualified (which they are many times). But now, after seeing really really talented and qualified people being rejected makes me feel like this process is honestly so random and based on chance, and the reason I'm getting rejected is not because I'm necessarily underqualified but simply because it's a tough year with tough choices. 

I've received a few rejection emails so far, and I truly believe graduate departments when they sympathize and say that they were unable to admit a lot of highly qualified applicants because this is probably true! 

So if you're in the same boat as I am, and you're getting rejections, just try not to blame it on yourself and just look at it as an opportunity to keep doing what you do and improve until your time comes :)

Just now, nivy25 said:

I don't want to sound like a horrible person, but seeing other people receive rejections makes me feel like this is so normal. In the beginning, I would almost take it personally and almost think that other people are better, or more qualified (which they are many times). But now, after seeing really really talented and qualified people being rejected makes me feel like this process is honestly so random and based on chance, and the reason I'm getting rejected is not because I'm necessarily underqualified but simply because it's a tough year with tough choices. 

I've received a few rejection emails so far, and I truly believe graduate departments when they sympathize and say that they were unable to admit a lot of highly qualified applicants because this is probably true! 

So if you're in the same boat as I am, and you're getting rejections, just try not to blame it on yourself and just look at it as an opportunity to keep doing what you do and improve until your time comes :)

Rejection letters roll off like water on a duck's back when you're listening to Celia Cruz (I was in the middle of a jam session when I got the Princeton email, and it helped ?)

11 minutes ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

I'm curious - did they mention the stats for this year in their acceptance email?

And what time the acceptance email come in?

Email came in early this morning, just before 1am. It said they "received a record number of applications from an impressive pool of candidates" but nothing more specific

To all the people who got admits today, congrats! Berkley and Duke are some amazing schools. For those who got rejections, keep your chins up! We have a few hours left today for good news to still show up and the whole rest of the week for good news as well! 

27 minutes ago, HolyGinger said:

I honestly don't understand why they don't send rejection mails right away and make us wait for days even after they send acceptances to other applicants. I mean, rejection mails should be the same so it should be easy to just automate them and send them right?

I really don't get it. As much as it's frustrating to get rejections, the not knowing is WAY worse. I'm still waiting on any response from BU. When people got admits and rejections last week, I kept waiting for mine...and here I am still waiting. 

2 minutes ago, ovejal said:

Congrats! Are the Duke admits coming via email or portal?

I found out through the portal. It took forever to load..... 

Edited to add - I just received an email notifying me of a status update. 

Edited by Lurker929

3 minutes ago, Lurker929 said:

Claiming a Duke Admit - No interview 

Guessing since my portal hasn't changed I'm a rejection. A big, fat, amazing congratulations to those who have gotten in and those who are on the waitlist! It's an amazing school/program, and the friends that I've had go there have absolutely adored it. YOU DID IT!

12 minutes ago, mmads said:

I really don't get it. As much as it's frustrating to get rejections, the not knowing is WAY worse. I'm still waiting on any response from BU. When people got admits and rejections last week, I kept waiting for mine...and here I am still waiting. 

Ugh. I’m so sorry you’re still waiting. I personally feel better getting rejections than being stuck with no answer.
This isn’t uncommon either for BU. They don’t have the best reputation for being timely. Not hearing could mean you might be waitlisted (this happened last year to someone I know and she got her offer in April, of course I’m not saying this is 100% the case). Wishing you luck!! 

15 minutes ago, mmads said:

I feel this so hard!  I've been waiting on tenterhooks for BU for so long...

Edited by StarkDark1

6 minutes ago, BrownSugar said:

Ugh. I’m so sorry you’re still waiting. I personally feel better getting rejections than being stuck with no answer.
This isn’t uncommon either for BU. They don’t have the best reputation for being timely. Not hearing could mean you might be waitlisted (this happened last year to someone I know and she got her offer in April, of course I’m not saying this is 100% the case). Wishing you luck!! 

Thank you!! I'm with you. I want a rejection rather than silence (maybe? I don't know but silence is hard!)

6 minutes ago, StarkDark1 said:

I feel this so hard!  I've been waiting on tenterhooks for BU for so long...

same. I wish schools had a standardized schedule for the whole process just like the April 15 commitment date. Like all programs have a Dec 15 deadline, Jan 15 interview (if they have them), and Feb 15 notification. That would eliminate so much stress and give us ample time to make decisions. I mean I'm obviously oversimplifying because I'm not at all involved with admissions and know nothing about the process but it's just nerve-wracking the way it's currently run.

1 minute ago, polisciii said:

Claiming a Duke admit! I am so thrilled and humbled!!

congrats! did you get a notification or did you just check the portal? i want to know if they're still releasing decisions right now