2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

5 minutes ago, poliscihopeful2021 said:

Thanks! The offer letter said something like last year the stipend was 29500$ but it's likely to be more than that this year. 

To add on to this, you don't have to TA at NYU, and if you do, that's pure extra money in your pocket. However, I don't think people can TA in first year. Additionally, first years do have some housing priority in NYU-owned (read: cheaper) apartments, though idk whether they kick you out of those after a year or two. 

On 2/3/2021 at 6:48 PM, gradinho said:

Hi all. I've been a lurker for long enough and wanted to share in this anxious experience of waiting for application results to come back. I must say that reading all of you has been comforting and humbling.

In the mean time, as I assume most of you here are likely to be quite engaged and potentially great political scientists I thought it'd be a good idea if we shared goodreads profiles? I'd like to follow some of you so I can catch better book recommendations.

I'll start, here's my goodreads profile: https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/76666744-matias-faure

Feel free to add me!

Always looking for new Goodreads friends.  Anyone is free to add me.  :) 

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/51332458-sharath-prabhu?ref=nav_mybooks&shelf=read

8 minutes ago, AdorningAdorno said:

Always looking for new Goodreads friends.  Anyone is free to add me.  :) 

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/51332458-sharath-prabhu?ref=nav_mybooks&shelf=read

I really like your username, Adorno is a great read. 

Also, is anyone going to claim that Yale admit on the results page? Seems sus at the moment. 

51 minutes ago, XXXXbe1 said:

I am asking about UF, seems like it is close to the time they normally send out decisions.But, also, heard nothing yet.

What with COVID it seems MOST but not all schools are running a week or so behind on their normal release dates so I'd give them a bit more time. If you have a PoI there you've talk to before you could always reach out and check or if you're willing you can contact the DGA in the department and inquire. 

9 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

What with COVID it seems MOST but not all schools are running a week or so behind on their normal release dates so I'd give them a bit more time. If you have a PoI there you've talk to before you could always reach out and check or if you're willing you can contact the DGA in the department and inquire. 

I know other people have previously mentioned this, but I want to reiterate their advice: I would caution against contacting departments right now; I know these are stressful times for all of us, but you will get an answer eventually, whether its this month or at the latest March for most PhD programs in the US. I am certain that both faculty and us applicants are feeling pressure in different forms! Don't let the stress take you over the edge.

3 hours ago, XXXXbe1 said:

I am asking about UF, seems like it is close to the time they normally send out decisions.But, also, heard nothing yet.

I am actually going to the department on Monday to speak with my professor there. I'll drop by the grad studies coordinator's office and ask her if there's any update.   

4 hours ago, XXXXbe1 said:

currently an undergrad at UF, my thesis advisor said this years application pool was larger than normal and when we last met on friday they mentioned they were still deliberating but thats all I know

So I got this email from Umass about application status change and the mail says A formal letter regarding this change will be made available in SPIRE in 1-2 business days.  Note: the decision letter may not open in Internet Explorer; please use a different web browser. However, I could not see any letter, my status is pending still. Anyone like that?

16 minutes ago, Aydemiru said:

So I got this email from Umass about application status change and the mail says A formal letter regarding this change will be made available in SPIRE in 1-2 business days.  Note: the decision letter may not open in Internet Explorer; please use a different web browser. However, I could not see any letter, my status is pending still. Anyone like that?

Have you waited the 2 business days? 

9 hours ago, icemanyeo said:

I know other people have previously mentioned this, but I want to reiterate their advice: I would caution against contacting departments right now; I know these are stressful times for all of us, but you will get an answer eventually, whether its this month or at the latest March for most PhD programs in the US. I am certain that both faculty and us applicants are feeling pressure in different forms! Don't let the stress take you over the edge.

I agree. There's little to gain in contacting faculty to frantically ask when results are coming out ("soon", they'll reply) and it might make you look a bit desperate (which, to be fair, we are).

44 minutes ago, Aydemiru said:

Hi. I got the same notice and no update in SPIRE with the status of pending but I think it is a rejection.. According to the last year's records, those who had similar experiences ultimately got rejected. I am so sad:(

16 minutes ago, Lisaaah said:

Hi. I got the same notice and no update in SPIRE with the status of pending but I think it is a rejection.. According to the last year's records, those who had similar experiences ultimately got rejected. I am so sad:(

Well, I wanted to hope at least for a few days, thanks for ruining it LoL

Had this dream the other day where I got a decision envelope from Duke University (which I haven’t applied to btw). When I opened it, the acceptance letter was addressed to someone else. But in the dream, I thought to myself, “How could they have messed up my name that badly?!” ?

4 minutes ago, SPN123 said:

Had this dream the other day where I got a decision envelope from Duke University (which I haven’t applied to btw). When I opened it, the acceptance letter was addressed to someone else. But in the dream, I thought to myself, “How could they have messed up my name that badly?!” ?

You can’t just leave us hanging like that. Which name was on the letter? Was it gradinho???

Edited by gradinho