2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

15 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

My anxiety for Vanderbilt is increasing now since a lot of people got interview requests and I haven’t heard yet. 

Its not over til it's over!! I thought I was gonna get rejected from UMass since most people seemed to get acceptances/waitlists yesterday but then today I got a pleasant surprise. Sooooo what i'm trynna say is....keep the faith!

2 minutes ago, polisci_gal said:

Its not over til it's over!! I thought I was gonna get rejected from UMass since most people seemed to get acceptances/waitlists yesterday but then today I got a pleasant surprise. Sooooo what i'm trynna say is....keep the faith!

Of course I’m not saying it’s impossible. Just feel like the odds end up being increasingly against you as time passes. 

And congrats on your decision! :) 

12 minutes ago, SPN123 said:

I was wondering if folks would feel comfortable sharing what their areas of research were in their Statements of Purpose. Mine was on politicial will as it pertains to LGBTQI rights in IR. 

Dispute Resolution amongst interstate coalitions, studying rebel alliances and why some rebel groups choose to work together or oppose one another and the role of Bretton Wood's institutions in furthering the national interests of US . Those are the three things I'm interested in researching and depending on which school I was writing for I adjusted my SoP accordingly.  

20 minutes ago, polisciii said:

rip I thought you couldn't do that

Depends on the circumstances. You definitely shouldn't reach out after your application is in or in the middle of decision season if you haven't talked to them before. I was introduced to most of the professors I talked with via my advisor from my undergrad or professors in my current department for my Master's program; I only "cold called" or reached out to professors without being introduced first like twice during the summer and thankfully both were receptive and willing to talk over Zoom.  

I got an acceptance from NYU :0

I was pretty sure I was not going to get an offer, as people were claiming admits the other day. Well, this certainly offsets the sting from UTexas :)

To anyone that still has not heard back, hang in there! I'm sure you'll hear back soon.

Edit: my field is comparative politics

Edited by Barry B. Benson
(forgot to state field)

Just now, Barry B. Benson said:

I got an acceptance from NYU :0

I was pretty sure I was not going to get an offer, as people were claiming admits the other day. Well, this certainly offsets the sting from UTexas :)

To anyone that still has not heard back, hang in there! I'm sure you'll hear back soon.

Congrats on the NYU admit! That is awesome! 

12 minutes ago, Takahashi22 said:

Just heard from a professor I'm close with at Georgetown, they will take 8 from 700+ applicants ?

What a disastrous prospect. Anxiously waiting for results...

Now I’m terrified. I thought my fit was really great too ? 

1 hour ago, SPN123 said:

I was wondering if folks would feel comfortable sharing what their areas of research were in their Statements of Purpose. Mine was on politicial will as it pertains to LGBTQI rights in IR. 

(1) Irrational political behavior and emotions, (2) transitory regimes and periods when there is a breakdown of the illusion of the real/concrete order; (*) plus I expressed a special interest in q’s regarding the construction of original methodologies that would work with these topics. 

For those applying to UCI, did you just get an email from the financial aid office telling you to activate your UCI ID? I’m still waiting on a decision so hoping it is a good sign! 

Well everyone, we made it through the first week of Feb; for some of us it was good news and for others bad while a lot of us still wait anxiously. No matter what camp you are in though, use the weekend to relax and recharge as we prepare for another week of likely decisions. Just remember you are never out until it's over! 

2 hours ago, nmforde said:

For those applying to UCI, did you just get an email from the financial aid office telling you to activate your UCI ID? I’m still waiting on a decision so hoping it is a good sign! 

For those waiting on a UCI response: 

Applicants will be notified by April 15, likely in February or March. Notifications are sent at different times.

Best wishes,

Jennifer Gerson, Ed.D.

Director of Graduate Affairs

School of Social Sciences 

_______

Never take yourself out of the game. If you are wondering about a schools admissions procedures or timelines, don't speculate based on other years. This is a very different cycle and we must treat it like that. 

Remember... It's not over until we have that rejection letter. 

On 2/3/2021 at 8:42 PM, nivy25 said:

Not official of course, but UIUC and UT Austin have sent out acceptances and waitlists already, so it does feel like anyone who hasn’t heard from them would most likely get a rejection.

Which program is this?

3 minutes ago, sherlock holmes/M said:

Hi,
anybody hear from New mexico, Georgia state, texas tech, kentucky?! 

Hey! A fellow Kentucky applicant! I'll double check with my advisor from there but I think he said expect something by the middle of this month. 

3 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said:

Hey! A fellow Kentucky applicant! I'll double check with my advisor from there but I think he said expect something by the middle of this month. 

Thanks. Do you know if the interview is going to take place or not?

3 minutes ago, Mad Scientist Malfrost said: