2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

Just now, insightfulramblings said:

Thanks! Public Law/American. I have a feeling it will take her awhile to send all those personal emails. 

Fair enough. Do you know how many people they accept each year? (Not sure if she disclosed this to you)

22 minutes ago, ConcreteBalloon said:

Hope so! Princeton was the first letter I wrote this year so it was not the best one, I think I have a decent shot at NYU or UofT (both for Phil.). Good luck with your time there and your career, I looked through the dissertation database from the Pol. Phil. program and they are all favourites of mine, so I'm sure I'll be reading something by you some day!

Thanks, that's very kind. Wishing you all the best with NYU and UofT. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

1 minute ago, nivy25 said:

Thank you for your kind words! 

Kudos to you for being patient and relentless and dedicated enough to keep trying! As per your signature under your post you seem to have a fantastic profile with a lot of experience so I really hope the best for you and I wish that you receive positive news from at least one program of your choice. 

It is incredibly hard to stay positive and focus on anything else, but there's not much else we can do at this point anyway. I don't know if it's just me, but the anxiety caused by waiting is taking over my normal life and conversations I have with people! For some reason, this is the only thing I can think or talk about it anymore. At this point, I've reached the stage where if I am indeed going to receive all rejections then I might as well get them all at once and just start to heal and move on and work harder for next year. 

I'm sorry if all this is a little too negative or upsets some people on here. I still have hope that something might work out but all this waiting is just driving me insane ? 

I feel ya. I have GAD, and this waiting definitely doesn't help with it AT ALL! At least you have us on here to talk to about it, since it's all we can talk about as well. It does seem personal re: a lot of schools that take so long to get back to their applicants. Let's all keep this in mind when we get onto advisory boards, so we can make sure our future students get their answers (good or bad) ASAP!

I know we did this earlier, but I'm going to list a few shows that have helped me during this craziness because they're stupid, funny, and very feel good. And they're short too, so I make myself watch at least one episode before jumping back on here and refreshing 43 times to see if someone has responded about a school I've applied to.

Brooklyn 99; Parks and Rec (for the people from the US, it has our current President in it, and our former first lady!); Elementary (fun take on Sherlock Holmes -- hour long show); The Office; How I Met Your Mother (except for the last episode, blegh)

5 minutes ago, kmccorm327 said:

I feel ya. I have GAD, and this waiting definitely doesn't help with it AT ALL! At least you have us on here to talk to about it, since it's all we can talk about as well. It does seem personal re: a lot of schools that take so long to get back to their applicants. Let's all keep this in mind when we get onto advisory boards, so we can make sure our future students get their answers (good or bad) ASAP!

I know we did this earlier, but I'm going to list a few shows that have helped me during this craziness because they're stupid, funny, and very feel good. And they're short too, so I make myself watch at least one episode before jumping back on here and refreshing 43 times to see if someone has responded about a school I've applied to.

Brooklyn 99; Parks and Rec (for the people from the US, it has our current President in it, and our former first lady!); Elementary (fun take on Sherlock Holmes -- hour long show); The Office; How I Met Your Mother (except for the last episode, blegh)

Excited for the new Brooklyn 99 season coming soon :) 

19 minutes ago, kmccorm327 said:

I also have GAD, and it's just at ultra high all day right about now (plus upcoming thesis defense, so just lots of exacerbating it over here). 

I also go for The Office frequently...and indulge in my guilty pleasure of reality TV lol. But it honestly offers me a great escape from my own concerns and takes approximately zero brain power. 

10 minutes ago, mmads said:

I also have GAD, and it's just at ultra high all day right about now (plus upcoming thesis defense, so just lots of exacerbating it over here). 

I also go for The Office frequently...and indulge in my guilty pleasure of reality TV lol. But it honestly offers me a great escape from my own concerns and takes approximately zero brain power. 

Good luck friend, you're going to kill it! And YES, try Below Deck. Utterly ridiculous. 

3 minutes ago, kmccorm327 said:

Good luck friend, you're going to kill it! And YES, try Below Deck. Utterly ridiculous. 

Thank you! I do watch Below Deck intermittently. I also recently listened to a podcast that featured Roxane Gay and Seth Rogen discussing their love for 90 Day Fiance and other reality shows. Seth Rogen said he's been asked to appear on Below Deck a few times but that you still have to pay for the charter! He said it was like $60K (plus that famous tip at the end of each episode). I know nothing about chartering yachts (because I'm a grad student and can barely charter an uber lol), so that may be a deal but I can't imagine paying to be on a reality show.

9 minutes ago, SanC said:

Congrats to all who got admitted!

Anyone having trouble accessing their Duke status page (Onelink)?

Just accessed it. Seems normal to me. Though the first time I tried it didn't work. I imagine it may have been some kind of system maintenance?