2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

24 minutes ago, drmantol said:

Hey, if I am not mistaken, I think that they have discontinued their departmental pre-doc program and will join the university's pre-doc initiative starting from 2022-23? 

Just saw that! Nevermind then.

2 minutes ago, ConcreteBalloon said:

Any of the admits to Princeton apply to the Political Philosophy PhD? I need to have all my hope extinguished :)

My understanding is that the interdisciplinary program in Political Philosophy is something you join after the program has started and you work with your department head or director of graduate studies to enroll. I have been accepted, my subfield is political theory, and I indicated interest in the Political Philosophy program. ?

I'm feeling a little tense right now for UC Davis, and Vanderbilt. As per my understanding, UC Davis released a few acceptances yesterday, and I feel like if I don't hear today or tomorrow I'm probably not being accepted there. As for Vanderbilt, I believe they're contacting potential students for interviews and they already reached out to a couple people. Makes me wonder and feel anxious because if I don't hear from them soon, then it will again most likely indicate a rejection.

As for UIUC, I'm almost assuming for sure that it is a reject because they sent out acceptances and waitlists a little while ago, and I haven't heard from them yet. 

Just now, nivy25 said:

I'm feeling a little tense right now for UC Davis, and Vanderbilt. As per my understanding, UC Davis released a few acceptances yesterday, and I feel like if I don't hear today or tomorrow I'm probably not being accepted there. As for Vanderbilt, I believe they're contacting potential students for interviews and they already reached out to a couple people. Makes me wonder and feel anxious because if I don't hear from them soon, then it will again most likely indicate a rejection.

As for UIUC, I'm almost assuming for sure that it is a reject because they sent out acceptances and waitlists a little while ago, and I haven't heard from them yet. 

Let me add Penn State to the same list as UC Davis for the same reasons. 

Just now, TheLifeofBrian said:

I've seen nothing...

It was a personal email from the chair for my waitlist. She said that they had double the applicant pool(160 compared to 80 last year) and that due toe Covid they had a smaller cohort this year. I know this doesn't help, but I thought I would share what she told me. Good luck! 

Just now, insightfulramblings said:

It was a personal email from the chair for my waitlist. She said that they had double the applicant pool(160 compared to 80 last year) and that due toe Covid they had a smaller cohort this year. I know this doesn't help, but I thought I would share what she told me. Good luck! 

Thanks for the heads up and congratulations

6 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

Believe me, I'm having the totally same feeling..

1 minute ago, PoliTheory2021 said:

Thanks so much! And I hope so! That or else you have another great offer coming down the line. As everyone has said, its early in the cycle. :)

Hope so! Princeton was the first letter I wrote this year so it was not the best one, I think I have a decent shot at NYU or UofT (both for Phil.). Good luck with your time there and your career, I looked through the dissertation database from the Pol. Phil. program and they are all favourites of mine, so I'm sure I'll be reading something by you some day!

Just now, Lovemyboy said:

Believe me, I'm having the totally same feeling..

Realizing the extent to which this was the WORST year to apply to PhD programs. I also only applied to two because I'm not willing to move my family...which is a bad plan in general...

Lol I just remembered that I have a midterm tonight for a class I have with the Director of UCI Grad Admissions for PoliSci. 

Gonna be an interesting day since I still haven't heard anything from UCI. 

14 minutes ago, rash_sulganni said:

I have seen 1 waitlist from UMass Amherst. Has anybody else heard from them?

I haven't heard back from UMass yet.... I hope I get good news from them though, definitely near the top of my list!

9 minutes ago, nivy25 said:

Don't give up on Vanderbilt yet! I, too, applied, and haven't heard back. I think there were only two or three people who got interviews on this forum, and they said we have until the end of next week to hear about getting them. It's possible that only one subfield was contacted yet, or any other number of possibilities. 

To all those who are losing hope -- don't do it yet! I didn't get in anywhere last cycle, but I literally didn't hear about a lot of schools until early to mid-March. That's without COVID/when it first started. For those on waitlists, celebrate! Your resume and application package were good enough for consideration to some of these amazing schools.

For those who haven't gotten on a waitlist or haven't been accepted yet, take a deep breath (don't worry, I'm telling myself the same thing). We have each other in here to distract, bemoan the application process, and generally just bitch about life. We're all in the same boat, and it seems like each and every single person in here is intelligent, kind, and dedicated to academia. We'll all end up where we're supposed to be, which (hopefully) will be in a PhD program next year! If not, apply, apply, and apply again. That's what I've done and will continue to do until one of these damn schools lets me in.

Until then, keep the faith! We all got this everyone!

*end of positivity rant, back to biting my nails and trying to distract myself with pointless television shows*

15 minutes ago, insightfulramblings said:

Congrats on the waitlist! I haven't heard back yet...but just wondering- whats your subfield? 

Just now, kmccorm327 said:

Don't give up on Vanderbilt yet! I, too, applied, and haven't heard back. I think there were only two or three people who got interviews on this forum, and they said we have until the end of next week to hear about getting them. It's possible that only one subfield was contacted yet, or any other number of possibilities. 

To all those who are losing hope -- don't do it yet! I didn't get in anywhere last cycle, but I literally didn't hear about a lot of schools until early to mid-March. That's without COVID/when it first started. For those on waitlists, celebrate! Your resume and application package were good enough for consideration to some of these amazing schools.

For those who haven't gotten on a waitlist or haven't been accepted yet, take a deep breath (don't worry, I'm telling myself the same thing). We have each other in here to distract, bemoan the application process, and generally just bitch about life. We're all in the same boat, and it seems like each and every single person in here is intelligent, kind, and dedicated to academia. We'll all end up where we're supposed to be, which (hopefully) will be in a PhD program next year! If not, apply, apply, and apply again. That's what I've done and will continue to do until one of these damn schools lets me in.

Until then, keep the faith! We all got this everyone!

*end of positivity rant, back to biting my nails and trying to distract myself with pointless television shows*

Thank you for your kind words! 

Kudos to you for being patient and relentless and dedicated enough to keep trying! As per your signature under your post you seem to have a fantastic profile with a lot of experience so I really hope the best for you and I wish that you receive positive news from at least one program of your choice. 

It is incredibly hard to stay positive and focus on anything else, but there's not much else we can do at this point anyway. I don't know if it's just me, but the anxiety caused by waiting is taking over my normal life and conversations I have with people! For some reason, this is the only thing I can think or talk about it anymore. At this point, I've reached the stage where if I am indeed going to receive all rejections then I might as well get them all at once and just start to heal and move on and work harder for next year. 

I'm sorry if all this is a little too negative or upsets some people on here. I still have hope that something might work out but all this waiting is just driving me insane ?