2020-2021 Application Thread

Theory007

2 minutes ago, Lisaaah said:

Is there anyone who applied to theory field at Berkeley? I am so anxious now...

I did, but no results by now, although expected a bit since my poi thinks it is unlikely that someone is going be accepted to work with him this year :))

but I totally get your Mr. Socrates, I'm not feeling well state 

4 minutes ago, verschiedene said:

Me! Given that someone said on this thread earlier that they were only admitting one theory candidate this year, I’ve been trying to keep my hopes very low but yes, still extremely tormented atm

yes, this information came from me and broke my heart (and sometimes I dream that they had a change of mind and decided they are crazy about political theory so they need more new students) 

4 minutes ago, Lisaaah said:

Omg that's so harsh.. I think applicants of the theory field suffer from the most tough time at this year's cycle.

Yes I think it’s just the reality that every time there is an economic downturn these “useless” (financially less productive) subjects are always the first ones to be sacrificed. 

Just now, verschiedene said:

Yes I think it’s just the reality that every time there is an economic downturn these “useless” (financially less productive) subjects are always the first ones to be sacrificed. 

Right... I am trying my best to avoid self-criticism but getting no admissions yet makes me disheartened.

11 minutes ago, verschiedene said:

Sometimes I just want to accumulate the powers of our minds and use it to punch these brilliant advocates of what they think is the true virtue of administrative/managerial phronesis right into their zoomed faces; sometimes, the logic of budgeting/funding/etc gets me so angry 

Edited by Uberfloweret

1 minute ago, Uberfloweret said:

Sometimes I just want to accumulate the powers of our minds and use it to punch these brilliant advocates of what they think is the true virtue of administrative phronesis right into their zoomed faces; sometimes, the logic of budgeting/funding/etc gets me so angry 

Well said buddy well said :)

prof Amia Srinivasan at Oxford Phil has this brilliant piece on neoliberalism and the role of higher ed in marketplace reproduction. I will try to find the article but I think about it often when I’m in the depth of self doubts - admissions decisions are really just the partial result of a string of financial and administrative decisions in a complicit production system so def don’t evaluate yourself in terms of numbers of rejections! 

As we start another week of admission decisions, I want to first congratulate everyone who has received an offer so far! If you're still waiting on good news and are feeling dejected due to rejections, I ask that you be more compassionate towards yourself. 

2021 seems to be another crazy year, with the new B117 COVID-19 strain, election instability in several Latin American countries, and other world events. The world has just been a crazy place over the last few months, and I don't expect that streak to end just yet.

While this may not comfort you, know that many others are feeling the same way you are right now, whether it's with job searching or grad school admissions. I hope we can get out of these difficult times soon, and everyone feels fulfilled at the end of the tunnel. 

I'm also working through my own feelings as more rejections come in, so know I understand exactly the way you are feeling right now. ❤️

Edited by icemanyeo

2 minutes ago, icemanyeo said:

As we start another week of admission decisions, I want to first congratulate everyone who has received an offer so far! If you're still waiting on good news and are feeling dejected due to rejections, I ask that you be more compassionate towards yourself. 

2021 seems to be another crazy year, with the new B117 COVID-19 strain, election instability in several Latin American countries, and other world events. The world has just been a crazy place over the last few months, and I don't expect that streak to end just yet.

While this may not comfort you, know that many others are feeling the same way you are right now, whether it's with job searching or grad school admissions. I hope we can get out of these difficult times soon, and everyone feels fulfilled at the end of the tunnel. 

I'm also working through my own feelings as more rejections come in, so know I understand exactly the way you are feeling right now. ❤️

It's so nice of you! I won't give up my study and research even if this year's admission ends up bad. Cause life goes on and I know what is more important than being in despair and doing nothing.

7 minutes ago, Lisaaah said:

It's so nice of you! I won't give up my study and research even if this year's admission ends up bad. Cause life goes on and I know what is more important than being in despair and doing nothing.

That's the way to go! I'm telling myself this: I know I want to be an academic; if that path starts at 22 with a PhD program, fine. If I have to wait until 30 to start a PhD program, that's also fine. It's not about when or how I start the journey, but whether or not I end up in my desired career that matters.

Edited by icemanyeo

1 minute ago, gingerantelope said:

Check your Duke portals! Claiming a waitlist.

Can you share a screenshot of where the decision is available on the portal?

Just now, rash_sulganni said:

Just received an offer from UMASS Amherst. I am over the moon right now. I had given up after not receiving any offer last Friday. Good luck everyone. 

Congrats!!!! Whats your subfield?

1 minute ago, gingerantelope said:

1094792528_ScreenShot2021-02-08at10_04_37AM.thumb.png.1f3d8fbc88cb624c4cc14aa728e372e7.pngThis status update tab appeared beneath the App Proof.

Thanks, it's unchanged for me. Funny thing is, my UT Austin portal is doesn't show a rejection, so I'm guessing I should expect the same for Duke. ?

7 minutes ago, rash_sulganni said:

Just received an offer from UMASS Amherst. I am over the moon right now. I had given up after not receiving any offer last Friday. Good luck everyone. 

Congrats! Did you get an email or find it via portal?