2021 Chemistry PhD Admissions Results

a1120

2 hours ago, bigredtootasty said:

Hi y'all, wondering if I could get some perspective on this lil dilemma I'm facing:

I've heard from Texas A&M, Purdue, and UC Santa Cruz for inorganic/bioinorganic chemistry and I'm still waiting to hear anything from Columbia, MIT, Caltech, UC Berkeley, & Illinois. My pipe dream is either Columbia (where a prof who was foundational to my field has his lab) or Berkeley (my old PI went there for undergrad and they do crazy inorganic chemistry), but I'm being recruited quite strongly by A&M. I'm wondering since I haven't heard from these schools if this portends bad news, and I should just pull the trigger on A&M now. I ~think~ that I have a strong application and folks from my undergrad with nearly identical apps got acceptances from these schools, so perhaps there's a chance. But I'm curious if y'all think waiting for these other schools is a lost cause. Thanks in advance!

Hey! I got into TAMU as well and I haven't heard anything at all from the other schools I applied to. It's still pretty early in the cycle (we've still got 3 months left) so I wouldn't say just accept your results yet.

I did a deep dive into the results posted from last cycle and there were still quite a few acceptances that went out at the end of March. Don't give up yet, maybe just allow yourself to relax and know that at least you have somewhere to go!

2 hours ago, bigredtootasty said:

Hi y'all, wondering if I could get some perspective on this lil dilemma I'm facing:

I've heard from Texas A&M, Purdue, and UC Santa Cruz for inorganic/bioinorganic chemistry and I'm still waiting to hear anything from Columbia, MIT, Caltech, UC Berkeley, & Illinois. My pipe dream is either Columbia (where a prof who was foundational to my field has his lab) or Berkeley (my old PI went there for undergrad and they do crazy inorganic chemistry), but I'm being recruited quite strongly by A&M. I'm wondering since I haven't heard from these schools if this portends bad news, and I should just pull the trigger on A&M now. I ~think~ that I have a strong application and folks from my undergrad with nearly identical apps got acceptances from these schools, so perhaps there's a chance. But I'm curious if y'all think waiting for these other schools is a lost cause. Thanks in advance!

I encourage you to wait until at least March :).

I know it is stressful to wait around, but you don't want to pull the trigger prematurely.

14 hours ago, Atom345 said:

congrats! Tell us how the visit goes :)

Thanks! Tbh I don’t think it’s too likely I’ll change my mind: my bf has an interview with the pharmacology program and they have one of the best in the world. If he gets in, it’s a no brainer for both of us so fingers crossed!!! His interview is today so I’m just trying to distract myself haha 

Edited by ashortchemist

On 1/27/2021 at 12:35 PM, ARSack02554 said:

As far as Wisconsin goes, they are having 2 visit weekends the first is 2/12-2/14 and the second is 3/12-3/14. I think they are probably mostly done with admissions as I have seen they have sent out rejection letters. But if you haven't gotten a rejection you may be on a wait list of some kind, they will probably admit a certain number of additional people once they get a better idea of how many of their offers are going to enroll.  

Hey are you going to MW's visit weekend? If so, I may see you there!

Hey, I talked to a grad student and they reminded me that many schools are just getting back in session now so they won't send out acceptances for a week or two! We're gonna make it guys! Just a while longer and we've got it!  

Best of luck to everyone! Don't give up!

51 minutes ago, fermidirac said:

what track are you for UCB? did they interview you?

I applied for chemical biology and I was not interviewed. Some people mentioned they were contacted by potential PI, but I had not established contact with any PI during the application process and was contacted by the chair instead.

7 minutes ago, lilbroccoli13 said:

Idk but those aren't just trolls freaking people out - I'm one of the rejects lol

Oh sorry man, how strange considering you got in at Madison. What subdivision are you going for?

4 hours ago, SpicyOranges said:

I did, the two days of interviews is sorta stressful haha

Woah dude! You had interviews already? How were they lol?

What did they ask?

Edited by Atom345

15 hours ago, Beau said:

Anyone know what's up with UMichigan Ann Arbor? I saw 4 rejections on Results page usually they seem to release all rejects at once

I was also one of the rejects for Chemistry alone.