2021 International Biomedical Applicants

Blood Type C8H10N4O2

On 2/3/2021 at 11:19 AM, Sky_china said:

I am not getting much hope also but I did message the admin yesterday . She answers with NYU is rolling admission with interviews coming out as late as mid feb 

Hey!

I saw you got an interview from USC. Would you mind shareing which program you applied and when you received from them?

5 hours ago, jill1997 said:

Hey!

I saw you got an interview from USC. Would you mind shareing which program you applied and when you received from them?

I applied CBB ( comp bio )  , I got it around mid January hope that helps. 

4 hours ago, BobTheBuilder123 said:

Does anyone know if Weill Cornell, BCMB Program is done sending out acceptances? I thought my interviews went well and all the faculty seemed very enthusiastic about my chances but still haven't heard back from them :(

Edited by IgGradschool

16 hours ago, newmemberintel said:

Hello, international students who most likely won't get accepted anywhere this year (like me) what are your plans for next year? when are you planning to reapply? 

That happened to me last year. I took a year of OPT and worked as a research assistant to gain more experience. You could also do a Masters or Post-Bacc program. You can reach out to some of the places you applied to for RA positions, I believe they have a higher likelihood of accepting you in the future if you already work there. 

How long depends on when you feel ready and have a strong application. Talking to your professors or employers would give you an idea. For me, a year was enough but some people might prefer to work longer for a variety of reasons. 

16 hours ago, newmemberintel said:

Hello, international students who most likely won't get accepted anywhere this year (like me) what are your plans for next year? when are you planning to reapply? 

I did not get in any program in 2019 cycle (I was in a master's program at that time) so I worked as a RA for almost two years. It do help me to get better letters and more experiences to build up my CV. More important, working as a RA helped me to figure out if I really want to do PhD and what I really want to do for next steps of my life.

Edited by wwllq

I got wait listed by the BU Program in Biomedical Science (PiBS). Did they say when they are going to give us waitlisted people a response? I have one offer in hand that I really wanna take. But would def consider it if BU gives me a green light. Doesn't sound like that chance is high though. 

On 2/14/2021 at 7:27 PM, newmemberintel said:

I’ll echo others and say the same. If you have a US degree then you can do OPT. I tried applying in 2017, but realized that I need a break from school. I’ve been working in a lab for two years now. I was able to get a publication from it, and I got interested in something totally different from what I thought I wanted to do. It also exposed me to a lot of other career options beyond academia  , and gave me a realistic view of what to expect in the next few years. I would highly recommend! Plus it’s good to save some money in this time. 

Hi everyone, I would like to ask:

1. Did anyone receive a PhD offer from CMU BME yet? How was the interview?

2. I directly received an email from a JHU faculty mentioned want to give me an interview, but later, this faculty said he couldn't do that due to the JHU BME department has to outrank theirs over 700 applicants this year. But from what I read on this topic, people already received interviews from JHU BME,(if there is anyone who got an offer, please comment, thank you), so what should l do? Keep waiting or send an email to that faculty ask for a short meeting to talk about my application? 

3. For International students, it is hard to compete in the rotation phd positions, so does that it is totally up to the professors to have places in their lab to give you a direct phd offer? Does that mean the interviews would come late? I know phd at Upenn who received interviews at the end of March 2020, and he got into one of the best Brain Injury projects here in the US.

Thank you.✌️?

On 2/13/2021 at 3:12 PM, BobTheBuilder123 said:

Does anyone know if Weill Cornell, BCMB Program is done sending out acceptances? I thought my interviews went well and all the faculty seemed very enthusiastic about my chances but still haven't heard back from them :(

Also anxiously waiting to hear back from Weill Cornell BCMB.... Let's hope they are just processing international applications separately and have not reached the decisions for us yet! 

On 2/15/2021 at 8:27 AM, newmemberintel said:

I have a strong feeling this will be me. Haha! Anyway I plan on getting research assistant positions for two years. I'm in no rush and I want to really, really be sure first in my own capabilities. Like this cycle, I know I want to get a PhD but I'm not too confident of my skills and fit and all that jazz. Learn a lot from this experience though. 

The only thing is that I'm way past the OPT application (graduated 2020) so I might need to apply for H1-B which I doubt will get much support ($$$) or look for RA positions in the UK, Canada, etc. My country has no opportunity for biomedical research in the topic of my interest so I don't think I'll be able to move forward if I were to stay here any longer.

59 minutes ago, Henry13579 said:

Hi

Has any international applicant heard back (even rejections are nice) from these programs: UPenn Bioengineering, Yale Immunobiology, Columbia CMBS and Harvard BBS?

Thank you. 

Hello. I applied to Columbia Systems Biology which is part of CMBS. Got a rejection. I emailed the program coordinator and got a reply saying unfortunately I'm not chosen. Have yet to receive the official rejection from the school itself.

On 2/12/2021 at 12:14 AM, Research Enthusiast said:

Anyone here interviewed at Baylor College of Medicine for DDMT (Development, Disease Models, and Therapeutics) track? If yes, would you mind sharing your experience? Also, any idea about their post-interview acceptance rate?

Hi there! don't know if anyone else has responded to u yet, but I interviewed for DDMT on Jan 22nd. There were information/ welcome presentations, 3 faculty interviews, and informal faculty meet-and-greets afterward. All the faculty were super nice and engaged, as was the program director.

They will take around 50% of applicants post-interview (about 24/50), and ~11 students will accept the offer and matriculate into the program (+ 3 MD/PhD students and 1 deferred student) for a total class size of ~15. Hope this helps! Did u interview with them last week?

On 2/18/2021 at 6:07 AM, Henry13579 said:

Hi

Has any international applicant heard back (even rejections are nice) from these programs: UPenn Bioengineering, Yale Immunobiology, Columbia CMBS and Harvard BBS?

Thank you. 

I am still waiting to hear back from Harvard BBS but at this point I think it is a rejection. :(

13 hours ago, CRISPRitout said:

Totally unrelated but was curious- does anyone know if people transfer schools during PhD? Is that remotely possible? 

It depends on the school. Some programs do allow this such as Scripps Research, but that's the only one I have seen that states it accepts transfer PhD students and transfer students need to take two-year core curriculum at Scripps. For many other programs either they don't state it or they say they only take regular admission.