MEd COUNSELLING & PSYCHOTHERAPY (OISE, UofT)

Toughcook1e

1 minute ago, coffee21 said:

Unbelievable. I let them know that I AM facing a deadline to accept another offer and this is the response I get. I would love if everyone who gets accepted to OISE rejects their offer and they're left with no students, and more importantly, no money. 

IMG_9387 copy.jpg

I sent them an email about this yesterday too, telling them I have a deadline coming up and I got the same email word for word. I think they’re just copy and pasting ?

5 minutes ago, unicornpsych said:

I sent them an email about this yesterday too, telling them I have a deadline coming up and I got the same email word for word. I think they’re just copy and pasting ?

Yeah I got the same one as well. Definitely seems like a copy and paste reply

49 minutes ago, unicornpsych said:

Maybe email the program chair instead of the register as to how you have another deadline approaching and how you are displeased with the admission rollout... usually program chair are the best to inform about such things.. and if you applied for OISE MEd program; i think the program chair is Dr.Lana Stermac .. maybe email her and see...

An update for those who wanted info on the current waitlist, see below! I asked Todd how many people were on the waitlist currently, and what format the courses in the 2021-2022 semester will be delivered.

"We have 10 applicants on the waitlist and we hope to have this resolved in the next few weeks. Unfortunately, there are many new admits from out of province/Canada who are needing more time to accept their offer due to increased challenges during covid.

At this time, it seems that Fall session courses will be online with an eye toward a safe and measured return later in the year, if possible. We are planning for in-class instruction for next Winter session, should the vaccine rollouts be completed, and no new closures/covid waves come back."

6 minutes ago, VancouverPsych said:

An update for those who wanted info on the current waitlist, see below! I asked Todd how many people were on the waitlist currently, and what format the courses in the 2021-2022 semester will be delivered.

"We have 10 applicants on the waitlist and we hope to have this resolved in the next few weeks. Unfortunately, there are many new admits from out of province/Canada who are needing more time to accept their offer due to increased challenges during covid.

At this time, it seems that Fall session courses will be online with an eye toward a safe and measured return later in the year, if possible. We are planning for in-class instruction for next Winter session, should the vaccine rollouts be completed, and no new closures/covid waves come back."

Thanks for the update! ... so since I haven't received any response for my application -- what am I suppose to assume? .. that I am rejected ?... this whole application thing for OISE has me so upset.. like why can't they send a mass email to all the applicants explaining what is going on and if they've already sent all the offers for admission and waitlist.. 

Edited by Decaf22

6 minutes ago, VancouverPsych said:

I'm shocked. But I guess it makes sense - international students are the ones paying way more than domestic and they just care about the money

1 minute ago, Decaf22 said:

Thanks for the update! ... so since I haven't received any response for my application -- what am I suppose to assume? .. that I am rejected ?... this whole application thing for OISE has me so upset.. like why can't they send a mass email to all the applicants explaining what is going on and if they've already sent all the offers for admission and waitlist.. 

I think it's safe to assume that there could be a chance of being placed on the waitlist, if you haven't heard back yet. My thought is that if someone who was accepted into the program rejects their OISE offer, then an individual on the waitlist would be bumped up and offered admission. Then, someone who hasn't heard back yet might get waitlisted. This is just a theory of how they do things, but it certainly makes it frustrating for everyone else who haven't heard back at all. 

Hi folks!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I emailed oise.aphd@utoronto.ca to see if I could get an unofficial update (because this program's the last one that I was waiting to hear back on and the admission offer deadlines for other programs are coming up).

I was able to get the unofficial update that my application "will be recommended for refusal," as well as the fact that there were 702 applications - which is disappointing, but it's also nice to hear something and I'll be heading into U of T for a different program.

Thought I'd mention since it seems like a few of us are in the same boat of waiting - hopefully you can get an update as well! 

5 minutes ago, kalebeans said:

Hi folks!

Long time lurker, first time poster. I emailed oise.aphd@utoronto.ca to see if I could get an unofficial update (because this program's the last one that I was waiting to hear back on and the admission offer deadlines for other programs are coming up).

I was able to get the unofficial update that my application "will be recommended for refusal," as well as the fact that there were 702 applications - which is disappointing, but it's also nice to hear something and I'll be heading into U of T for a different program.

Thought I'd mention since it seems like a few of us are in the same boat of waiting - hopefully you can get an update as well! 

Had to accept another offer by thursday so thought i’d give an email a try and received this response today! 

Good luck to everyone else waiting :) 

your application to the MEd Counselling will be recommended for refusal. Unfortunately, with 702 applications for 35 spots this year, there is not enough spaces to accommodate all strong applicants” 

So fellows, does anybody consider reapplying this coming November? I am kind of debating as I heard it is not good to apply to the same program in consecutive years unless you can show you have made huge progress within a year. I applied to the program twice in the past. I got waitlisted for my first time and this year I guess it is safe to say I will be rejected.

What do you all think? Anybody? Any thoughts on reapplying?

7 minutes ago, Toughcook1e said:

So fellows, does anybody consider reapplying this coming November? I am kind of debating as I heard it is not good to apply to the same program in consecutive years unless you can show you have made huge progress within a year. I applied to the program twice in the past. I got waitlisted for my first time and this year I guess it is safe to say I will be rejected.

I don't think I will reapply... Hopefully one day I can make my way back to Toronto through work, life, or another degree. 

I would love to know more about what makes you so determined to attend OISE ?  I think it takes a lot of strengths and determination to repeat the process. Bravo!

13 minutes ago, Toughcook1e said:

I will probably work on my CV for a year and reapply. I don't come from a psychology or healthcare background, so my option for psychotherapeutic training are limited. Actually, this is probably a good time to ask...

Does anyone have suggestions for students interested in psychotherapy, but lacking a psychology/healthcare background?

I have a masters in English lit, and have spent the last two years teaching, plus some volunteering at the Distress Centre.

2 minutes ago, Hemingwho said:

I will probably work on my CV for a year and reapply. I don't come from a psychology or healthcare background, so my option for psychotherapeutic training are limited. Actually, this is probably a good time to ask...

Does anyone have suggestions for students interested in psychotherapy, but lacking a psychology/healthcare background?

I have a masters in English lit, and have spent the last two years teaching, plus some volunteering at the Distress Centre.

Hey! my suggestion is to take a continuing education certificate in psychology. Ryerson has a really good one that honestly looks exactly like my psychology undergrad programs. UofT has a CBT course that you could take. I would suggest looking at colleges as well, I think getting the education would be important. 

Also, I would suggest doing more volunteer work in the field like KidsHelpPhone, Jack.Org or things in your area that are mental health related. 

21 minutes ago, Toughcook1e said:

Personally I will not be reapplying this coming fall for 2 reasons. 1) although I have made progress in my CV already, I would rather make even more progress in my education and experiences. 2) there are other programs that will get you registered with the CRPO. for eg: Yorkville's MACP program. The way I see it is if you have a goal and you have an opportunity to get there now, I wouldn't waste time on trying to go to 1 university. (in my case if I get accepted to Yorkville I will attend even if it's online) 

but everyone has their own opinions about where they want to go and what the degree will get them. just remember, YOU and your skills will determine how well you are in your career, not the university you went to! 

1 minute ago, LiveLovePsych said:

Hey! my suggestion is to take a continuing education certificate in psychology. Ryerson has a really good one that honestly looks exactly like my psychology undergrad programs. UofT has a CBT course that you could take. I would suggest looking at colleges as well, I think getting the education would be important. 

Also, I would suggest doing more volunteer work in the field like KidsHelpPhone, Jack.Org or things in your area that are mental health related. 

Thanks. Maybe after I receive a response (rejection, I assume) from U of T, I will ask someone at Admissions how my application would have compared if it included either the CBT course or the continuing ed psych degree from Ryerson.

I would like to become a psychotherapist more than anything right now, but I'm not sure it's feasible to commit to an additional degree without a really, really strong chance of acceptance in a psychotherapy program promptly after the degree's completion. It might just be time to do a teaching degree and go that route, although I feel pretty crappy more-or-less committing to a lifelong career that I am not over the moon about. 

Just now, Hemingwho said:

Thanks. Maybe after I receive a response (rejection, I assume) from U of T, I will ask someone at Admissions how my application would have compared if it included either the CBT course or the continuing ed psych degree from Ryerson.

I would like to become a psychotherapist more than anything right now, but I'm not sure it's feasible to commit to an additional degree without a really, really strong chance of acceptance in a psychotherapy program promptly after the degree's completion. It might just be time to do a teaching degree and go that route, although I feel pretty crappy more-or-less committing to a lifelong career that I am not over the moon about. 

If you aren't 100% committed to a career that you wont be happy in I suggest finding the way out! You don't want to find yourself in a position where you are unhappy years to come. if you don't want to do a certificate (which btw takes a year) then I suggest the Yorkville MACP program. a LOT of their students are much older than undergrads (in their 40s) who came from a completely different career. If you have good references, high grades (and money since its a private school) I would consider applying! 

Just wanted to provide updates for you all. I contact Todd from OISE for the MEd program and he informed me that "unofficially" I will not be accepted into the program this year due to the high number of applications etc (same response others have posted on this forum)..

.. moreover this was my last response I was waiting on and so I want to thank all of you for the continued support and encouragement. This year was difficult and all of the comments that I read where very helpful throughout the year .. so thank you!

if anyone is curious below are the other programs I applied and the responses I got.. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF YOU STILL WAITING! And don't let a rejection define who you are :)

OISE MEd Counselling & psychotherapy --> rejected unofficially

UFT 2-year MSW --> Waitlisted

Windsor 2-year MSW --> Waitlisted

York's MSW --> Rejected

McMaster's Psychotherapy --> rejected 

Hopefully I hear a positive response from programs i was waitlisted for ^ 

2 minutes ago, Decaf22 said:

Just wanted to provide updates for you all. I contact Todd from OISE for the MEd program and he informed me that "unofficially" I will not be accepted into the program this year due to the high number of applications etc (same response others have posted on this forum)..

.. moreover this was my last response I was waiting on and so I want to thank all of you for the continued support and encouragement. This year was difficult and all of the comments that I read where very helpful throughout the year .. so thank you!

if anyone is curious below are the other programs I applied and the responses I got.. BEST OF LUCK TO ALL OF YOU STILL WAITING! And don't let a rejection define who you are :)

OISE MEd Counselling & psychotherapy --> rejected unofficially

UFT 2-year MSW --> Waitlisted

Windsor 2-year MSW --> Waitlisted

York's MSW --> Rejected

McMaster's Psychotherapy --> rejected 

Hopefully I hear a positive response from programs i was waitlisted for ^ 

I wish you the best in your future endeavors!! hopefully you get into the waitlisted programs, please keep us updated!! 

when did you email Todd, im debating contacting him!

Just now, LiveLovePsych said:

I wish you the best in your future endeavors!! hopefully you get into the waitlisted programs, please keep us updated!! 

when did you email Todd, im debating contacting him!

THANK YOU! .. And I emailed Todd just a few hours ago... he responded pretty fast

Yorkville will for sure get you where you need to go, but it might not be fore everyone. For me personally, I don't think I'd be willing to spend the (almost) $40000 for a program where there are no lectures at all because that's just not how I learn best. But for those who are working professionals and need the flexibility, it works out perfect for them! 

I haven't been rejected yet (officially or unofficially), but I am almost positive I will end up doing a graduate certificate program at Humber this year and then applying again in the fall. And I'll try again if I end up being rejected again! The reason I like OISE's program so much is because there is no research and you're not pigeonholed into doing a PhD afterwards. There aren't many programs like it. 

But best of luck to everyone, regardless of if OISE accepts you! 

Just now, coffee21 said:

Yorkville will for sure get you where you need to go, but it might not be fore everyone. For me personally, I don't think I'd be willing to spend the (almost) $40000 for a program where there are no lectures at all because that's just not how I learn best. But for those who are working professionals and need the flexibility, it works out perfect for them! 

I haven't been rejected yet (officially or unofficially), but I am almost positive I will end up doing a graduate certificate program at Humber this year and then applying again in the fall. And I'll try again if I end up being rejected again! The reason I like OISE's program so much is because there is no research and you're not pigeonholed into doing a PhD afterwards. There aren't many programs like it. 

That's a great backup plan, Humber and Mohawk are also my backups too so maybe I will see you there ? Mac also has that program too where its not research based which I agree, is hard to find a program like that!

good luck!

Just now, LiveLovePsych said:

That's a great backup plan, Humber and Mohawk are also my backups too so maybe I will see you there ? Mac also has that program too where its not research based which I agree, is hard to find a program like that!

good luck!

Which program at Humber if you don't mind me asking? :)  And I knowwwww they rejected me pretty fast though LOL 

2 minutes ago, coffee21 said:

Well put. So long as the program can be accredited (RCC or CCC) it's all good!

I really enjoy reading everyone's posts under this thread, and I'd love to learn more about what you all will choose for your future paths! All the best :) 

7 minutes ago, LiveLovePsych said:

do you mind sharing how you emailed him and his address please!

You can find his email on the program website. And basically what I wrote was the following: 

I have applied for the 2020-21 MEd counselling and psychotherapy program. And so today I spoke with someone from the OISE register regarding the application and whether they had any updates as I have not received any response since I've applied (the application says it's "under review"). And the individual explained how all the offers and waitlists have gone out already .. Is this true? Because other colleagues of mine who've applied were told that there is a delay in uploading the admission results onto the SGS portal due to working from home..If you could update me on this situation, I'd really appreciate it. 

His response: Hello (name).. Thanks for your inquiry.   Yes, the application responses are currently being processed by our registrar’s office staff.   With 705 applications to the Counselling program, it can be lengthly process when working from home. I’ve inquired about the status of your application and can report, unofficially, that your application to the MEd Counselling program will be recommended for refusal.    Unfortunately, with 35 spots available this year, there is not enough spaces to accommodate all strong applicants. You should receive the official application response via email shortly.

I haven't received an official rejection as of yet. 

Edited by Decaf22