OISE Master of Teaching 2021 UofT

fxyz_

Hello everyone! I applied to oise mt before the deadline and haven't heard anything back yet. I understand they send most acceptances in March but seeing as how many people have gotten their acceptances, I wanted to ask you guys some questions. 

Are you in PJ?

What were your gpa and experience hours like?

Did you get an email or did your status just change?

Do you know if people get straight up rejected? I want to be told if I haven't gotten in, I hate the wait :( 

16 minutes ago, Poscy said:

Hello everyone! I applied to oise mt before the deadline and haven't heard anything back yet. I understand they send most acceptances in March but seeing as how many people have gotten their acceptances, I wanted to ask you guys some questions. 

Are you in PJ?

Do you know if people get straight up rejected? I want to be told if I haven't gotten in, I hate the wait :(

I applied for PJ with a GPA of 3.67/4.33 and about 2k hours in experience across camps, school volunteer work, and EA work. I haven't gotten an email, I just see an admission deposit and my program enrolment changed to PJ. However my SGS still shows "Under review".

12 minutes ago, optimistic_ said:

I applied for PJ with a GPA of 3.67/4.33 and about 2k hours in experience across camps, school volunteer work, and EA work. I haven't gotten an email, I just see an admission deposit and my program enrolment changed to PJ. However my SGS still shows "Under review".

I have similar experience but less of a GPA. I don't have access to ACORN, is that just for uft students? I tried signing in it wouldnt let me. I guess that means a good sign for you though? Someone on reddit just got accepted to PJ so maybe they're sending it out now? Idk :(

2 minutes ago, Poscy said:

I have similar experience but less of a GPA. I don't have access to ACORN, is that just for uft students? I tried signing in it wouldnt let me. I guess that means a good sign for you though? Someone on reddit just got accepted to PJ so maybe they're sending it out now? Idk :(

I'm not a student either but it gave me directions at some point after my application to create an account. Check your application emails from them, it may be there. 

Just now, optimistic_ said:

I'm not a student either but it gave me directions at some point after my application to create an account. Check your application emails from them, it may be there. 

Oooh! I'll try that thank you! I heard some people say that the deposit thing is a glitch so I'm just so confused about everything. 

1 hour ago, Poscy said:

Are you in PJ?

Hi there :) 

I am in P/J! 

My cumulative GPA right now is 3.8 and my GPA in third year was around a 4.0. My experience is I've worked as a tutor for the past 5.5 years at the same company, and I had a couple other placements and volunteer opportunities, but I'm not sure the exact amount of hours those add up to! 

I got both an email from OISE saying that my status was changed on the application portal, and then when I looked my status was changed on the SGS application portal, giving me access to view my letter of acceptance. 

I'm not sure about rejection letters to be honest, so I can't really speak on that. 

Hope you hear back soon!! ❤️ 

10 minutes ago, m0811 said:

I am in P/J! 

My cumulative GPA right now is 3.8 and my GPA in third year was around a 4.0. My experience is I've worked as a tutor for the past 5.5 years at the same company, and I had a couple other placements and volunteer opportunities, but I'm not sure the exact amount of hours those add up to! 

I got both an email from OISE saying that my status was changed on the application portal, and then when I looked my status was changed on the SGS application portal, giving me access to view my letter of acceptance. 

I'm not sure about rejection letters to be honest, so I can't really speak on that. 

That's amazing! Congratulations! Has anyone else with an outstanding admissions deposit on their acorn been officially accepted yet? I noticed my deposits on Tuesday and my application portal status is still "under review." Hate this waiting game and I wish OISE would give us a straight answer! 

55 minutes ago, m0811 said:

I am in P/J! 

Oh man you really got it all!! Congratulations!! And thank you so much!

2 hours ago, optimistic_ said:

I can't find it but I guess I'll just wait for an email to be sure 

Hey guys!

So I called the admissions office yesterday to clarify this whole deposit thing. They told me that the deposit on ACORN was a glitch and to disregard it. They said even people who got rejected from the program received the deposit on their ACORN account and it literally means nothing. They also said they gave out letters of acceptances starting this past Monday and they will continue giving them out until March. I asked them if it mattered the order you get accepted. For instance I applied on the due date (Nov 15) but still didn't get accepted and if that meant anything. They said no. They basically said they view applications on a rolling basis. Whoever applied first they look at the application and decide and then make a decision. They don't look at all the applicants at the same time and then figure out who's better and who's worse. They said early acceptance also doesn't mean anything, it literally just means they saw other peoples application before seeing ours. So I guess thats a good sign for those of us who didn't hear anything! 

Also, my Cumulative GPA is at a 3.67/4.33 and my last year GPA was a 3.98. I have over 8000 hours of experience that varies from tutoring, camp counselling, being a teachers assistance, volunteering at sick kids and charity events, babysitting and placement work. 

I really hope we hear back soon, this waiting game is killing me!

Edited by futureed20

3 minutes ago, futureed20 said:

Hey guys!

So I called the admissions office yesterday to clarify this whole deposit thing. They told me that the deposit on ACORN was a glitch and to disregard it. They said even people who got rejected from the program received the deposit on their ACORN account and it literally means nothing. They also said they gave out letters of acceptances starting this past Monday and they will continue giving them out until March. I asked them if it mattered the order you get accepted. For instance I applied on the due date (Nov 15) but still didn't get accepted and if that meant anything. They said no. They basically said they view applications on a rolling basis. Whoever applied first they look at the application and decide and then make a decision. They don't look at all the applicants at the same time and then figure out who's better and who's worse. They said early acceptance also doesn't mean anything, it literally just means they saw other peoples application before seeing ours. So I guess thats a good sign for those of us who didn't hear anything! 

Also, my Cumulative GPA is at a 3.67/4.33 and my last year GPA was a 3.98. I have over 8000 hours of experience that varies from tutoring, camp counselling, being a teachers assistance, volunteering at sick kids and charity events, babysitting and placement work. 

thank you SO much for this info! good luck! :)

17 minutes ago, futureed20 said:

Hey guys!

I’m not sure if it was a glitch or not, I know that’s what they’re saying buuut I applied to both the MACSE and the MT p/j and right now the MACSE is showing up on my acorn account with the $300 deposit and I did get admitted (even though it’s not on my admissions portal yet, I got an email letting me know that I was admitted). I do not however see anything about the MT program, nor did I ever. Not really sure what that means though 

1 hour ago, cakebytheocean said:

I’m not sure if it was a glitch or not, I know that’s what they’re saying buuut I applied to both the MACSE and the MT p/j and right now the MACSE is showing up on my acorn account with the $300 deposit and I did get admitted (even though it’s not on my admissions portal yet, I got an email letting me know that I was admitted). I do not however see anything about the MT program, nor did I ever. Not really sure what that means though 

Digging through gradcafe for previous years I have seen no evidence of people seeing the deposit and then getting a rejection later, only acceptances. Obviously it's a biased sample, but I'd be curious to know if anyone has been rejected after seeing the deposit and enrolment.

Congrats on MACSE by the way, if you end up getting MT which one do you think you would choose?

37 minutes ago, optimistic_ said:

Digging through gradcafe for previous years I have seen no evidence of people seeing the deposit and then getting a rejection later, only acceptances. Obviously it's a biased sample, but I'd be curious to know if anyone has been rejected after seeing the deposit and enrolment.

Congrats on MACSE by the way, if you end up getting MT which one do you think you would choose?

Thank youuu!!! I would definitely choose the MACSE, it was my first choice on my application!!!!  

Edited by cakebytheocean

42 minutes ago, cakebytheocean said:

Thank youuu!!! I would definitely choose the MACSE, it was my first choice on my application!!!!  

Do you mind sharing what helped you decide on MACSE as your first choice? So far it’s my only acceptance but I’ve been doing tons of research to sort out which one would fit me best!

7 minutes ago, norwaylane said:

Do you mind sharing what helped you decide on MACSE as your first choice? So far it’s my only acceptance but I’ve been doing tons of research to sort out which one would fit me best!

Soooo my undergrad (it’s an ece designation program) focused a lot on learning theory and then putting that into practice, specifically around children and their development. I really like the way that it was structured and felt like it was a really effective learning style for me and I feel like the MACSE program is structured similarly! Alsoo I’m not 100% sure that I want to teach forever, I am potentially interested in doing more school after specifically related to child development and so I feel like the MACSE is a better fit for me!!!! 

Edited by cakebytheocean

1 minute ago, cakebytheocean said:

Soooo my undergrad (it’s an ece designation program) focused a lot on learning theory and then putting that into practice, specifically around children and their development. I really like the way that it was structured and felt like it was a really effective learning style for me. Alsoo I’m not 100% sure that I want to teach forever, I am potentially interested in doing more school after specifically related to child development and so I feel like the MACSE is a better fit for me!!!! 

So true!! I can definitely relate, I really want something that will give me flexibility long-term and fit my research interests. Thanks for the info! :) 

18 hours ago, futureed20 said:

Hey guys!

Thank you for this!! However someone I know who just got accepted applied in Jan and they already heard back sooo I'm confused 

9 minutes ago, Poscy said:

Thank you for this!! However someone I know who just got accepted applied in Jan and they already heard back sooo I'm confused 

Ummm thats really odd... I don't really know why that is. That's kind of stressing me out ngl

1 minute ago, futureed20 said:

Ummm thats really odd... I don't really know why that is. That's kind of stressing me out ngl

Sorry to stress you but yeah same. I don't believe a word the admissions office says anymore LOL they told me they won't release acceptances until March when they had already released some. So idk 

Just now, Poscy said:

Sorry to stress you but yeah same. I don't believe a word the admissions office says anymore LOL they told me they won't release acceptances until March when they had already released some. So idk 

yeah honestly this whole process is super stressful. I don't understand how the admissions office works but their process makes zero sense to me

28 minutes ago, Poscy said:

I totally agree. This whole thing is very sketchy and I think the admission's office is not being 100% truthful. If it truly was just a meaningless glitch why not send a mass email to all applicants saying to disregard it? Like someone else said earlier, I also did some snooping around on here and found that the acorn deposit and program enrolment thing has happened in the past to other programs as well. I saw in the 2020 MSW thread that people were seeing admission deposits and their program enrolment changing on acorn a few days before they got official acceptances on the sgs portal. I've yet to find someone say they had deposits on acorn only to be rejected later. Obviously we should take this all with a grain of salt but something is not matching up to what the admissions office has been saying imo. 

That being said, I also think if you don't have deposits on acorn yet you shouldn't panic! I've heard of many people not getting accepted until late March or April so there's still plenty of time to get to accepted later. I know the waiting sucks so much but I definitely think we won't get any more news during the long weekend so I'm going to try my best to just relax and start worrying again next week lol ?

Edited by student100