OISE Master of Teaching 2021 UofT

fxyz_

4 minutes ago, student100 said:

I totally agree. This whole thing is very sketchy and I think the admission's office is not being 100% truthful. If it truly was just a meaningless glitch why not send a mass email to all applicants saying to disregard it? Like someone else said earlier, I also did some snooping around on here and found that the acorn deposit and program enrolment thing has happened in the past to other programs as well. I saw in the 2020 MSW thread that people were seeing admission deposits and their program enrolment changing on acorn a few days before they got official acceptances on the sgs portal. I've yet to find someone say they had deposits on acorn only to be rejected later. Obviously we should take this all with a grain of salt but something is not matching up to what the admissions office has been saying imo. 

That being said, I also think if you don't have deposits on acorn yet you shouldn't panic! I've heard of many people not getting accepted until late March or April so there's still plenty of time to get to accepted later. I know the waiting sucks so much but I definitely think we won't get any more news during the long weekend so I'm going to try my best to just relax and start worrying again next week lol ?

Yeah I completely agree! It's so hard not to freak out lol

30 minutes ago, student100 said:

I totally agree. This whole thing is very sketchy and I think the admission's office is not being 100% truthful. If it truly was just a meaningless glitch why not send a mass email to all applicants saying to disregard it? Like someone else said earlier, I also did some snooping around on here and found that the acorn deposit and program enrolment thing has happened in the past to other programs as well. I saw in the 2020 MSW thread that people were seeing admission deposits and their program enrolment changing on acorn a few days before they got official acceptances on the sgs portal. I've yet to find someone say they had deposits on acorn only to be rejected later. Obviously we should take this all with a grain of salt but something is not matching up to what the admissions office has been saying imo. 

That being said, I also think if you don't have deposits on acorn yet you shouldn't panic! I've heard of many people not getting accepted until late March or April so there's still plenty of time to get to accepted later. I know the waiting sucks so much but I definitely think we won't get any more news during the long weekend so I'm going to try my best to just relax and start worrying again next week lol ?

I think they need to say that in the event that there is an error and someone does get rejected or something goes wrong. If they say that the deposit means you are in then it's a slippery slope of people jumping the gun and telling their friends and family they got in, starting to look for housing, applying for scholarships, etc. I've cautiously told some close friends I may be in, but I'm not even telling my family until I have that letter. It would suck for that person who ended up jumping the gun, and then end up coming back to bite OISE admissions for falsely confirming their acceptance. 

I agree with your second point too, I didn't see any deposits or enrolment when the first people on the forum starting seeing theirs, then mine showed up a couple days later. Should the hypothesis be correct, Acorn will change right after they look at your application and choose to accept. There's probably another month or two until waitlists and rejections come out.

Edited by optimistic_

1 hour ago, student100 said:

Oh, I'm also wondering if anyone has heard of people getting accepted officially into J/I or I/S? I've only heard of P/J acceptances so far so I wonder if they are doing it by stream. 

I know a few who got ji and is

21 minutes ago, Poscy said:

I know a few who got ji and is

Ah ok good to know! I actually also just learned that one of my friends got officially accepted into I/S yesterday. Her acorn looked identical to mine (admission deposit and saying she was enrolled in the MT program for fall 2021) so I'm taking this as a very positive sign for all of us who see these changes on acorn but are still waiting for the official acceptances on the sgs portal 

Hey there! I am currently an international McGill student hoping to graduate in May with a double major in International Development, English Theatre, and a minor in History. I applied to OISE's MT program with I/S Dramatic Arts and History as my first choice, P/J as my second, and J/I Dramatic Arts as my third. I have a 3.35 cGPA and a 3.43 over my most recent semester. I had over 1200/1300 hours of experience on my chart. I feel good about the experience I have, but with the pandemic, a lot of the crux of my experience dates back to the summer of 2018, or before, barring a virtual tutoring job I have held this school year. I guess this is a little bit of a silly question, but, what are my chances?

1 hour ago, tonybeans said:

Hey there! I am currently an international McGill student hoping to graduate in May with a double major in International Development, English Theatre, and a minor in History. I applied to OISE's MT program with I/S Dramatic Arts and History as my first choice, P/J as my second, and J/I Dramatic Arts as my third. I have a 3.35 cGPA and a 3.43 over my most recent semester. I had over 1200/1300 hours of experience on my chart. I feel good about the experience I have, but with the pandemic, a lot of the crux of my experience dates back to the summer of 2018, or before, barring a virtual tutoring job I have held this school year. I guess this is a little bit of a silly question, but, what are my chances?

It's always hard to say. I just run the litmus test of comparing my stats to other people who have gotten offers from previous years, but obviously that's not everything. I assume how you relate the experience you have to the teaching profession will hold more weight over the raw number of hours.

On paper you definitely sound like a competitive applicant, however anecdotally I know that History and Social Studies are among the most competitive Secondary teachables out there. I wouldn't worry too much about your experience being a little older, every applicant is in the same boat with covid and admissions knows that. I bet there's lots of people who were banking on getting experience last summer before applying and couldn't.

Edited by optimistic_

2 hours ago, s2021a said:

Hi everyone. 

I got accepted to both the MACSE and MT program. I am not sure which one to pick? Does anyone have any advice, what is the difference between these 2 programs?  Is anyone in the same boat as me. i am so confused. 

Hey! I also got accepted to both programs. Are you going to the MACSE welcome reception tonight? 

1 hour ago, optimistic_ said:

I just got accepted into MT for P/J and J/I. Took a week but it all worked out. Good luck to everyone still waiting, and I look forward to seeing those accepted there!

Congrats! Can I ask your avg and exp!? I'm still waiting to hear back for pj

4 minutes ago, cakebytheocean said:

Hey! I literally just got accepted today haha. My average is 86%, and my experience is pretty diverse including childcare centres, camp counselling, peer mentoring, nannying, teaching dance/gymnastics 

Thats amazing!! What time did you get the email?

3 hours ago, optimistic_ said:

I just got accepted into MT for P/J and J/I. Took a week but it all worked out. Good luck to everyone still waiting, and I look forward to seeing those accepted there!

Good for you!

On 2/17/2021 at 4:30 PM, cakebytheocean said:

Hey! I literally just got accepted today haha. My average is 86%, and my experience is pretty diverse including childcare centres, camp counselling, peer mentoring, nannying, teaching dance/gymnastics 

Hey, congrats! May I ask when you submitted your application?

2 hours ago, tonybeans said:

I just got waitlisted to all 3 programs today.. Anyone else in the same boat? I'm an international student so hopefully they'll take me off of the waitlist before May or June haha

Did you get an email saying you're waitlisted??