2022 Neuroscience PhD Applicants and Admissions Results

neur0naut

8 minutes ago, osprey98 said:

For those who are waiting for UPenn NGG, when did you submit applications? I am also waiting for mine.. I submitted mine 11/20 but received my last rec letter on the last day of November. I am curious whether they're reviewing apps chronologically 

I have yet to hear back and I believe I submitted mine the day before the deadline. ? 

Could very well be chronological. 

16 minutes ago, osprey98 said:

For those who are waiting for UPenn NGG, when did you submit applications? I am also waiting for mine.. I submitted mine 11/20 but received my last rec letter on the last day of November. I am curious whether they're reviewing apps chronologically 

I submitted mine 11/30, so literally the day before it was due. I know someone from last cycle also applied the day before and got an interview in early December. So at least last year, they didn't do it that way

21 hours ago, uninvitedColumbus said:

Has UPenn NGG already scheduled a first round of interviews? 

If anyone has news about UPenn NGG and UChicago Computational Neuroscience, please let me know here! Thanks in advance.

got a reject for chicago comp neuro last night

In one of my interviews, I have been assigned to interview with a professor who is actually an orthopedic surgeon who does research on the side, so I am unable to find more than a couple of sentences explaining his research work! Advice on how to prep for this interview? For all my other interviews I'm studying up on their work but I feel like I can't do this for him...

3 minutes ago, ninjasub2 said:

In one of my interviews, I have been assigned to interview with a professor who is actually an orthopedic surgeon who does research on the side, so I am unable to find more than a couple of sentences explaining his research work! Advice on how to prep for this interview? For all my other interviews I'm studying up on their work but I feel like I can't do this for him...

For me, my interviews are 45 mins long for a school, which became severely difficult to maintain a discussion after being done talking about myself. As a precaution, I started looking up their early on works which might have shaped their research path and mentioning it to ask some questions from there. Once they hit you with the “do you have any questions about the …” ask them politely to talk more in depth about their research. They give elaborate details, and someone else suggested, pay extreme attention to things that you find intriguing, say something you might know about the topic, and ask their opinion/whether it has any relevance. I find prepping 3/4 questions ahead of time helps a lot, but in your case, look at their earlier stuff to understand them and just show that you’re open to learn about science thats not your main focus.

5 hours ago, brkkmnkk said:

For me, my interviews are 45 mins long for a school, which became severely difficult to maintain a discussion after being done talking about myself. As a precaution, I started looking up their early on works which might have shaped their research path and mentioning it to ask some questions from there. Once they hit you with the “do you have any questions about the …” ask them politely to talk more in depth about their research. They give elaborate details, and someone else suggested, pay extreme attention to things that you find intriguing, say something you might know about the topic, and ask their opinion/whether it has any relevance. I find prepping 3/4 questions ahead of time helps a lot, but in your case, look at their earlier stuff to understand them and just show that you’re open to learn about science thats not your main focus.

Dang, 45 minutes? All of my interviews thus far have only been 20-30 minutes. It gets really hard to maintain a meaningful conversation ://

14 hours ago, SloppyLime said:

Does anyone know anything about the UCSF or the NIH-UCL programs? Having trouble finding information about them. I mostly want to know A) quality of research since it seems the fits are good and B ) if the students like being there and have good prospects after. Thanks!

Definitely contact the students for this info! Quality of research is great at both institutions. But ask students whether they're happy, and ask for data from the program on what students do after. Contact alumni as well to see if they're happy with the training they received

On 1/22/2022 at 2:06 PM, ninjasub2 said:

I didn't really study for any of my interviews after my first one. For my first interview I read at least 1 paper for each professor I was meeting with and took all these notes and wrote down questions, etc, and none of it came up in an entire day of interviews. I came up with completely different questions on the spot, and they told me about their research themselves. Didn't study at all after that. I recommend just knowing generally what they study (ie memory in drosophila or mouse models of Parkinsons). During the interview, they'll tell you about their work, and as they talk you will ask questions that come to mind or make connections between their work and yours, but the more important questions you ask wont be about science, they'll be about the grad program, their lab dynamics, their mentorship style, etc. 

2 hours ago, BabyScientist said:

I didn't really study for any of my interviews after my first one. For my first interview I read at least 1 paper for each professor I was meeting with and took all these notes and wrote down questions, etc, and none of it came up in an entire day of interviews. I came up with completely different questions on the spot, and they told me about their research themselves. Didn't study at all after that. I recommend just knowing generally what they study (ie memory in drosophila or mouse models of Parkinsons). During the interview, they'll tell you about their work, and as they talk you will ask questions that come to mind or make connections between their work and yours, but the more important questions you ask wont be about science, they'll be about the grad program, their lab dynamics, their mentorship style, etc. 

I agree...I had a very similar experience!! 

2 hours ago, bstck510 said:

@restingmicroglia How was the preliminary interview?? I just received one!

It was very casual and consisted of two faculty members asking me questions about my research experience. They asked me to elaborate on a few different experiences listed in my CV and then asked if I had any questions. It lasted about 25 minutes or so. 

1 hour ago, brkkmnkk said:

Anyone know when results usually come after interviews? I forgot to ask during the interview. Is it all released at once or is it rolling?

It is basically rolling because once people reject offers, the school will offer admission to someone else on the list.  This might not be how every school facilitates the process but I have heard many programs do this. 

3 hours ago, neuro7 said:

It is basically rolling because once people reject offers, the school will offer admission to someone else on the list.  This might not be how every school facilitates the process but I have heard many programs do this. 

Do you think it's a good idea to send an email about it? The faculty I met said I can ask if I have any questions.

Edited by brkkmnkk

1 hour ago, brkkmnkk said:

Do you think it's a good idea to send an email about it? The faculty I met said I can ask if I have any questions.

If you have specific questions regarding the program or something that came up in the interview, I think that is fine.  But if you inquire about admission decisions, this may seem pushy. 

The committees usually meet at certain times to discuss decisions, so some universities might be a little slower. Also, Covid might impact timing of all this too?. I say just try to be patient!  

On 1/25/2022 at 4:33 PM, mgmgmgm said:

I have interviews with Drexel on Jan 31st and Feb 1st. But that will be my first set of interviews!

Thank you! I was just wondering because I interviewed earlier in January and wanted to have an idea of when they might get back to us.

55 minutes ago, ens25 said:

I saw several others post NYU rejections yesterday but I still haven’t received any feedback, positive or negative. Anyone know what this means? Does NYU keep a waitlist?

I also haven't heard a thing from NYU and saw many people got rejections. Just as confused!