PhD / DrPh Fall 2022

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All, I'm planning for DrPH starting next year. I'm interested in online programs as I plan to work FT. 

JHU concentration "Global Health: Policy and Evaluation" is something I'm keenly interested in. Are there people here who know anyone from JHU 2021 batch in this concentration?

Your help will be appreciated!

Hi fellow public health nerds! Current DrPH student at JHU in Health Policy and Management, concentrating in Public Health Informatics here! I remember being where you are at this time last year. Happy to answer any questions may have about the process or the school. Best of luck this cycle!

• 2 weeks later...

Question for folks who are writing about the GRE scores - from my understanding, neither Harvard nor Hopkins are looking at scores. You can submit them with your application but they won't even consider them as part of your assessment. How are people managing demonstrating quant abilities if you did not have a quant focus in undergrad/grad as much without this component?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 7:55 AM, eltee said:

Question for folks who are writing about the GRE scores - from my understanding, neither Harvard nor Hopkins are looking at scores. You can submit them with your application but they won't even consider them as part of your assessment. How are people managing demonstrating quant abilities if you did not have a quant focus in undergrad/grad as much without this component?

For schools that are not considering GREs, they will likely look at other evidence, such as grades you've gotten in quant classes, or examples from your current work. Note that this is different from schools in which GREs are "optional." If you do not have much of a quant background to lean on, GRE scores can help provide evidence of quantitative abilities.

Personally, much of my research is qual and mixed methods, so I struggle with this question as well. I took a stats class last semester to show more evidence of quant ability. I also plan to submit GREs when optional.

Is there an option for you to sign up for a class this semester? You can submit grades at the end of the semester, even if you've already submitted your application.

Hi All!

Excited about this application process but also nervous! I am looking into Global Health and Community Health PhD Programs!

School list:

Harvard (Global Population Sciences)

JHU (International Health)

Tulane (International Health & Sustainable Development)

University of Miami (Prevention Science and Community Health)

SDSU/UCSD (Joint Doctoral Program in Public Health with concentration in Global Health)

University of South Florida (Public Health with concentration in Global Communicable Disease)

Emory (Global Health and International Development)

National Institute of Public Health of Mexico (ScD in Environmental Health)

Hoping for the best outcome! Wishing everyone luck for this cycle. Does anyone know if being published is truly a dealbreaker for any of the schools I have listed? I met with a faculty member of SDSU and he made it a point to show that I haven't been published. And truth is, I haven't had many research opportunities where I have had my own project or a hands on PI besides two people. Could this really hurt my application? Also, I am URM as well if that is relevant. Thanks!

@Billowack Maybe look into career services of your alma mater to see if someone can look at your CV. Another point of reference is to search the current doctoral students on the website and look at their CV's (sometimes they are posted). If you can't find them there, try looking on LinkedIn! I kind of look at their CV's and professional experiences and go from there. If I like what I see, I usually end up reaching out to them to ask if they can meet with with me to discuss why they chose their program and also more insider questions. It seems intimidating but I am sure they felt the same during their application process. Best of luck!

15 minutes ago, GoingGlobal said:

@aap96 I was wondering the same thing. Maybe when reaching out to potential advisors, you can ask the question to see what they recommend? 

I will try that. I have not had much luck with getting responses from potential mentors at Temple and CUNY. 

On 9/20/2021 at 3:07 PM, aap96 said:

I will try that. I have not had much luck with getting responses from potential mentors at Temple and CUNY. 

Don't worry about not getting a response! I was worried about that too, but a professor in my home program told me that sending an emails expressing your interest (with your CV attached) is already a good start. Professors may not have the time to meet with you, but that initial email will put you on their radar. 

Hi everyone, 

I hope you're all hanging in there while you work on these dang applications. 

Just needed a bit of advice from a nonbiased perspective - I recently graduated from a MSPH program @ Hopkins with a 3.75 GPA, where my GPA fell significantly from 2 of the 3 biostats courses I had to take there. Got A's in all of the other classes I took including EPI and other quant courses. The format of the Hopkins system is quarter based so I struggled learning all the concepts in biostats within a 8 week window. I really want to apply for a PhD program to continue some of the research I am doing now (specifically the Social Behavioral Sciences dept) and was wondering if my chances of getting into a PhD program are slim because of my less than stellar biostats grades. I know quant skills are super important for doctoral programs. Wondering if it's even worth applying? 

Dont know if any of this additional info is important but I'm working very closely in the department I am planning to apply for right now and have 4 publications and very good GRE scores (even though I know these are optional this year). Just need a bit of advice and so bummed about my biostats scores D:. Any advice is welcome and thank you all for reading this - just so much anxiety building up!!! 

@PhDhopeful2022 Honestly think your grades sound good! From what I hear, potential research advisor match and research potential are the most important. It seems like you have the research potential from the pubs. I wouldn't worry too much about the quant classes as long as you can show that you are still working to strengthen that area of your skills. PhD apps are also about "right time, right place" too. It never hurts to apply. I think you should have confidence in yourself and your ability to get in. Stay positive! You got this! 

Also planning to apply this year.  Have been interested in the executive DrPH program at UNC. Curious if others have heard much about the program, especially versus other “entry” or “mid-level” programs?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, aca105 said:

Hello fellow health policy applicants, looking forward to the upcoming cycle. Current list is Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, UCLA, UW, and I'm applying with ~25 publications and ~2-3 years of industry experience. Good luck to all! 

25 publications!!? Wow I think you would be really competitive!!

On 10/21/2021 at 11:04 AM, JasonCheung said:

25 publications!!? Wow I think you would be really competitive!!

To be honest I don't think it matters that much - no point in really resting on laurels when it's my job to make the committee think this sort of thing makes me competitive. But thank you! I'm rooting for everyone here.