MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

On 9/5/2021 at 7:20 PM, priawet said:

Hi everyone! Happy to see this thread. 

I will be applying for the 2 year MSW with Laurier, King's, and Windsor. Thinking of also applying to Carleton. I have a Honours Bachelor of Science in Mental Health from U of T. Graduated with weaker grades, B+ final year and maybe a B overall. Higher grades in research and stat courses. Went on to do a post-grad program and now I am an Autism Therapist. Have around 4000 hours. I also volunteer as a mentor to a youth in my community (roughly 100 hours). 

I'm a bit concerned as my stats are less competitive than what I read from other applicants in previous threads but I am hoping my supplemental application is where I will truly shine. 

I'm looking forward to the next few months and to sharing this journey with you guys. If you have any tips or thoughts on my experience, please let me know! 

Thanks!

Hi everyone! I'm an international student and have applied for the following:

• University of Calgary - Spring 2022
  • Dalhousie - Fall 2022
  • University of Manitoba - Fall 2022

I understand UofC generally sends out acceptance letters in February, but does anyone know when can I expect to hear the admission decisions from Dalhousie and UofM? 

On 12/2/2021 at 10:30 AM, EMWC said:

Hi everyone! I am doing a pretty grand sweet of applications this year, applying to Laurier, UofT, UofT (ITR), Carleton, UofM (IK), Dalhousie, and Lakehead (HBSW) - all for the 2-year streams. I come from a background in arts and cultural administration and programming, so I may be a bit of an outlier in that way. Would love to hear of anyone's experience applying to MSW/BSW programs from the arts and cultural sector. Good luck everyone!

Hi! In the HBSW currently and it seems as thought a fair chunk of people have degrees from fields outside of the social sciences so for that program at the very least I'd say it's no problem. 

On 12/8/2021 at 11:59 AM, vesperlism said:

Hi everyone! I'm an international student and have applied for the following:

• University of Calgary - Spring 2022
  • Dalhousie - Fall 2022
  • University of Manitoba - Fall 2022

I understand UofC generally sends out acceptance letters in February, but does anyone know when can I expect to hear the admission decisions from Dalhousie and UofM? 

I’m not sure about Manitoba but Dal is usually Feb! Good luck :)  

On 12/8/2021 at 1:45 PM, ShaDiMSW2022 said:

Question: due dates!

U of T has the due date for December 10th. What tiiiime on that day do applications close? I know I should hand it in before then but I'm being a major perfectionist with my rewrites.. and my references are for some reason taking what feels like waaaayyy too long sooo... anyone know? 

Did you find out? I am wondering the same thing!!

Just now, ShaDiMSW2022 said:

Nothing yet.  I sent my statements in but it looks like I'm still waiting on one reference. Hopefully the system just hasn't updated. 

How are you doing? Good luck! 

Hey! I finished all my documentation as well! Am i blind or is there no "submit" button like there is for others schools? I did this last year and their old system had a submit button! 

11 minutes ago, ShaDiMSW2022 said:

Nothing yet.  I sent my statements in but it looks like I'm still waiting on one reference. Hopefully the system just hasn't updated. 

How are you doing? Good luck! 

Oh good! I really hope that reference goes through for you!

I'm planning to do one final edit tomorrow morning before I submit. Busy work week. It seems to me like it is due tomorrow during the day, otherwise it would say "before Dec 10"?..... right?

8 hours ago, lexiesanxious said:

Hey! I finished all my documentation as well! Am i blind or is there no "submit" button like there is for others schools? I did this last year and their old system had a submit button! 

Did you happen to find out if Uoft has a submit button? or is it after we submit documents, its done.

7 hours ago, PhilipT24 said:

Did you happen to find out if Uoft has a submit button? or is it after we submit documents, its done.

Hey! i found out that once you submit your documents youll see a sentence above where the documents are submitted that says all documents are complete. A person in the MSW admissions office said that once its all in you have nothing else to do! They have the documents and youre good to go. No formal button 

2 hours ago, okayidk said:

Did anyone figure out a specific deadline (time) for the UofT submission? If not, is it safe to assume everything should just be uploaded before Dec. 10th ends?

I don't know the answer for sure but I think since a time isn't given, you can assume you have until 11:59 pm tonight. I also applied to the UofT MEd program and their webpage was explicit that the deadline was at 5 pm. So, I feel with the social work page not giving a time, you can assume until end of today! 

4 hours ago, okayidk said:

Did anyone figure out a specific deadline (time) for the UofT submission? If not, is it safe to assume everything should just be uploaded before Dec. 10th ends?

I believe it is until the end of the day.  Good luck1

Anyone applying for the 2 year foundational program at UBC Okanagan know if we actually have to cite for the personal statement that says 'based on academic literature what makes the above social issue of importance'? It is unclear whether they are looking for actual citations or not and I feel like if I email them they will just say something like 'what does the question say' lol 

things are moving pretty fast for some schools (I can say that as a previous UofT applicant getting waitlisted in April lol) my application for the 2 year MSW program at Carleton has already updated to 'recommended for assessment' I completed my application mid to late November so I think this might be why. Seems like acceptances usually go out feb 17th at the earliest. How is everyone else feeling? :)

1 hour ago, teaandSW21 said:

things are moving pretty fast for some schools (I can say that as a previous UofT applicant getting waitlisted in April lol) my application for the 2 year MSW program at Carleton has already updated to 'recommended for assessment' I completed my application mid to late November so I think this might be why. Seems like acceptances usually go out feb 17th at the earliest. How is everyone else feeling? :)

That is great to hear! Just finished all 3 of my application and am feeling nervous, but it seems as though there are much fewer applicants in comparison to last year, so fingers crossed! Good luck everyone!

I'm curious to hear from those who applied to UofT, since every one of us has unique backgrounds & ambitions, I wonder how different individuals answered (in short) "how do you think that you can contribute to the program?" 

We never get to peak behind the scenes so this might be nice to get a better sense of the individuals (possible future classmates) who applied!

P.s. I applied to Mental Health & Health - domestic

Edited by WhoDat

2 hours ago, teaandSW21 said:

Wow. Did your references complete their letters early? Mine still says preliminary review or something along those lines. Maybe alphabetical order last names? 

Also curious about UofT's admissions team.. does anyone know who besides Angela sifts through the applications or is it just her? I couldn't find anything online about this! Maybe I've missed a gradcafe past years comment on this!?

15 minutes ago, priawet said:

Wow. Did your references complete their letters early? Mine still says preliminary review or something along those lines. Maybe alphabetical order last names? 

yes- I think my last reference submitted nov 22. I was surprised too, I think they will still do acceptances in feb regardless. Not sure if it is a 'first application in first looked at' type of  thing