MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

8 minutes ago, DD2021 said:

For those wondering, my last name starts with K - no changes on SGS portal yet and no email. However this is the first time I'm seeing the $500 in my Acorn so I'm 99.9% sure it's an acceptance ?

So happy for you! My last name starts with J. Nothing yet! I think I'm not gonna make it. I would understand if i don't!  This is my first time applying and has no similar job experience though i tried hard to connect the dots!

I got in to UofT's 2-year MSW program!! So happy as I was starting to doubt my experience reading all of everyone's stats on this site (y'all are so impressive!!). Praying everyone else who applied in this forum hears some good news!! :)

4 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

I got in to UofT's 2-year MSW program!! So happy as I was starting to doubt my experience reading all of everyone's stats on this site (y'all are so impressive!!). Praying everyone else who applied in this forum hears some good news!! :)

Congratulations!!! Did you get an email or see it on acorn?

3 minutes ago, never stop dreaming said:

Congratulations!!! Did you get an email or see it on acorn?

I just checked Acorn and it shows invited with the $500 deposit and April 13th deadline to pay. No email yet! I checked Acorn earlier today and it showed $0, so it was definitely only added within the past few hours!

On 3/18/2022 at 7:52 PM, van95 said:

Have u guys heard from UBC-Vancouver MSW Program?

Anyone mind sharing more about their experience / knowledge about the Program ? I mainly obtained the Program information on the Program’s website, but didnt see much discussion on the Program in this thread.

Hi There,

I received an offer of admission on March 2nd with an initial deadline to accept by March 24th (they have extended it by a bit when I requested more time). They told me that they finalize admissions around end of March to let people on the waitlist know. If you haven't heard anything at all by now, I would recommend checking the application portal or contacting the school.

I noticed too that there is a lot more discussion about programs in Ontario and further east, I think maybe because there are just so many more programs than in BC and Alberta. In trying to make my decision between schools, I have done a deep dive of the Health and Social Care courses (outlines are available on the website) so feel I have a pretty good understanding of that side of the program. If you'd like to connect to discuss more, feel free to DM me.

On 3/22/2022 at 10:33 AM, rexwsc said:

I just felt that no matter what degree you are pursuing, you have to continue taking courses and acquiring certificates/licenses of practice if you want to focus on private clinical practice. 

I agree with what others have posted. I went back and forth on this so many times and did hours of research and each time came back to doing an MSW. I already have a BSW and didn't have some of the psych courses that Counselling programs wanted so it was also a quicker way to get going on my goals. I also really wanted to situate my counselling "training" within a social justice framework and I felt social work had more to offer around that. I don't expect to feel fully competent coming out of my MSW to go into private practice (although my social work college told me I could do it now with my BSW!!) but have a master's opens a lot of other doors to ongoing training in specific modalities.

1 hour ago, DD2021 said:

My status on Acorn just changed to invited, with a $500 deposit. I can't stop crying

This is my 4th time applying, so everyone, hold out hope! Don't give up!

Amazing!!!!!! So happy for you! Is your ACORN account the same every year? I applied last year but I wasn't sure if there was anew ACORN account that I would need to make. Any insight would help!

2 minutes ago, MSW29 said:

Amazing!!!!!! So happy for you! Is your ACORN account the same every year? I applied last year but I wasn't sure if there was anew ACORN account that I would need to make. Any insight would help!

I'm also wondering the same thing. I haven't received any new credentials with the application. I can still access my account from when I was in undergrad at UofT, but that was several years ago. Does anyone know if it would automatically connect my application to the ACORN account from before?

4 minutes ago, IWantMSW said:

Thanks! Follow up question, do we know if they tend to send out acceptances over several days, or all at the same time?

From my previous experience, they usually send out the acceptances + waitlists on the same day - they send out acceptances first, followed by waitlists. However I've also seen that they update ACORN a day or so before sending out actual acceptances via email/SGS portal. 

Doesn't UofT accept much more people than other programs (like 140 people)? So it would likely take longer to update everyone's portal than it would for a program only accepting 20 people. Just something to consider for people who's portal may not have changed. 

Also I've gotten no email, so if you don't have access to Acorn but have been accepted, you will need to wait until tomorrow or whenever they plan to send the emails to even know! Still lots of time for people to find out.

1 hour ago, DD2021 said:

For those wondering, my last name starts with K - no changes on SGS portal yet and no email. However this is the first time I'm seeing the $500 in my Acorn so I'm 99.9% sure it's an acceptance ?

Congratulations and well deserved :) What stream did you apply for?

5 minutes ago, gradnotsad said:

Literally sobbing because my acorn status changed to invited with a $500 deposit. Domestic 2 year applicant, last name starts with M 

Omg congrats!! Nothing for me yet I am getting nervous now 

1 minute ago, Shelbyhope16 said:

First time poster here! Congrats to all those who have heard from the U of T two year program! Everyone appears to be finding out their acceptance through ACORN. I was never directed to make an ACORN account when I applied to U of T. Am I missing something? 

was it your first time applying? they have a new system but you should have been emailed a login for acorn if you were a first time applicant. Not to worry though, they send you and email and it'll show in the applicant system too (where you have the checklist and uploaded everything)