MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

9 hours ago, Jules N said:

Hi everyone,

Casual lurker. Applied quietly into Carleton and UofT, and some other counselling psychology programs that all rejected me. I broke half way through UBCO after I got an offer at an online counselling psychology program at Yorkville. Carleton waitlisted me. No biggie. Monday came, I got notification that UofT decision has come out a week ago. I opened the website expecting more disappointment. Little did I know it was a 20 page package of admission. I was whatever…

Backstory here is I am from Surrey in BC. Not super knowledgeable about social work as a profession, kind of stumbled my way into advocacy work but I am a failed psychology major through and through. Did not know counselling psychology was a different thing than other schools of psychology. Found out after 6,000 hours of work in addictions field that I wanted to do crisis and trauma counselling. Apparently social work was the degree I should have gotten. 

So I scrambled and applied all the schools above, hoping one would take me in. I just want to be in the helping profession. Guys… I did not know UofT is the cream de la crème of social work world. 

Am I stupid to turn down UofT and stay in my province for Yorkville?

*The reason I’m even posting here is because of I’m worried reputation of schools is going to affect my ability to find clients. I have no doubt in my skills and employability. 

Congrats on your two offers! :) In terms of what would look better on paper, it would almost certainly be being a Registered Social Worker with an MSW from UofT (school rep, greater employability, etc.). 

In terms of financially, this is hard to say. Yorkville tuition is more expensive. But you'd have to factor in Toronto rent/living expenses if you chose UofT. So you'd have to do some extra calculations to determine how Toronto rent/living expenses + tuition compares to just paying Yorkville's tuition.

In terms of your post-grad career, yes Yorkville doesn't have a great rep, but I know people (my therapist)/have heard several other people mention that they know Registered Psychotherapists who graduated from Yorkville. So I would say many people don't have a serious issue meeting the required supervised hours to become registered. And once you're registered, the school you went to won't really matter. So if staying home is really important to you (and you don't want to reject both schools and try your luck with Laurier's online MSW next year), then I don't necessarily think it would be career suicide choosing Yorkville. 

But if you can handle ~ 1.5 years in Toronto, then I would lean towards UofTs MSW as I think most would objectively consider it a stronger program than the Yorkville counselling MA. 

1 hour ago, Mswpls2022 said:

Has anyone who has applied to the U of T 2-year program received a rejection? I’ve only seen acceptances and waitlists so far. 

i dont know, someone in around Page 40-50 something, said one of their friend got rejected even before the acceptance were being rolled out. Also, I see so many of us being waitlisted, lol, its gonna be tough. Ive accepted that I would have to apply some other year

2 hours ago, MSW2022 said:

Anyone recently heard from Windsor's MSWwp? I applied non-BSW end of Jan, status changed Feb 3 so I'm at the 2 month mark..

I applied Jan 11, status changed Jan 13, nothing since then. 

hi all! just a quick question for those accepted into uoft 2 year msw did you guys use more references from volunteer/work or from profs? i was waitlisted so most likely having to apply again im kinda stuck on who i should ask a second time around. id appreciate any input and congrats to all who have received acceptances so far!! :) 

28 minutes ago, jyjy22 said:

hi all! just a quick question for those accepted into uoft 2 year msw did you guys use more references from volunteer/work or from profs? i was waitlisted so most likely having to apply again im kinda stuck on who i should ask a second time around. id appreciate any input and congrats to all who have received acceptances so far!! :) 

Hey! I had 1 reference from a prof and 2 from work experiences! A tip i would give is to have your references look at the questions they have to answer before hand. Walk them through the process and let them know what to expect, I find doing this helps them write a strong reference for you. If you have many options to choose from as your references, then I would choose people who you had a strong professional relationship with and know the quality of your work.  Let me know if you have other questions. fingers crossed for you :)

Edited by HopeisthewaytoCope

11 hours ago, jyjy22 said:

I think you should use whoever is best suited to speak about the things mentioned on the MSW reference form. For me, it was 3 work references as I've been out of school since 2013. So, don't feel pressured to use one type of referee over another. Just pick who's best able to speak to your suitability as a social worker. 

And if you're worried about how well any of them can write your reference letter because perhaps maybe they knew you in a specific role that was different from what a social worker does, then either meeting with them to discuss why you're applying/want to be a social worker and/or providing them with some notes of examples highlighting your skills/experiences would help strengthen the reference letter they can provide for you. It can sometimes be risky to just rely on what a person is going to write about you without having some sort of convo or notes explaining why you're applying. We may assume our working relationship with someone was strong and they should have plenty to write about us but meanwhile, we could have just been one of many students or one of many employees they worked with and so we may need to guide them a bit with the letter they write for us. 

Hello everyone! I am currently in a great dilemma and stuck in one place. I have a bachelor degree in Business and so decided to apply to Uoft 2 years MSW program (non BSW) and got WAITLISTED. I have not applied to any other MSW program. However, I applied to York BSW program (2y postgrad) as a backup and the decision is not out yet. I am concerned that this year i might not be able to get into uni so I decided to go ahead and apply to colleges as well for the SSW program. I do know that SSW graduates get paid less than any BSW/MSW applicants which is very unfortunate but i don't want to waste another year waiting to get into University. In that scenario,

Do you guys know if i will be eligible to apply in MSW Advance standing once i finish my 2 year diploma (if i get accepted)? 

Also, would that be wise to finish college and then right away apply to MSW programs? Or, should i get a more solid experience and then go ahead and apply to MSW?

Your feedback is appreciated ?

21 minutes ago, Nus219 said:

Hello everyone! I am currently in a great dilemma and stuck in one place. I have a bachelor degree in Business and so decided to apply to Uoft 2 years MSW program (non BSW) and got WAITLISTED. I have not applied to any other MSW program. However, I applied to York BSW program (2y postgrad) as a backup and the decision is not out yet. I am concerned that this year i might not be able to get into uni so I decided to go ahead and apply to colleges as well for the SSW program. I do know that SSW graduates get paid less than any BSW/MSW applicants which is very unfortunate but i don't want to waste another year waiting to get into University. In that scenario,

Do you guys know if i will be eligible to apply in MSW Advance standing once i finish my 2 year diploma (if i get accepted)? 

Also, would that be wise to finish college and then right away apply to MSW programs? Or, should i get a more solid experience and then go ahead and apply to MSW?

Hey I totally know how you feel about not wanting to waste a year in between studies. After finishing undergrad I ended up missing the application cycle for 2021 and ended up doing a post grad program at humber. I then applied for UofT late last year and got accepted for fall 2022. I am glad things worked out but still needed to have a back up plan.

In terms of getting advanced standing for a MSW you will have to do a BSW. College diplomas/certificates won't allow for advanced standing. However if you are interested in doing a BSW I believe several schools will give you direct entry into 3rd year after the SSW diploma.

I think its always great to get as much work experience as possible to build your resume up. Most SSW course also offer placements which will be great for your application.

42 minutes ago, MSW2022UofT said:

Hey I totally know how you feel about not wanting to waste a year in between studies. After finishing undergrad I ended up missing the application cycle for 2021 and ended up doing a post grad program at humber. I then applied for UofT late last year and got accepted for fall 2022. I am glad things worked out but still needed to have a back up plan.

In terms of getting advanced standing for a MSW you will have to do a BSW. College diplomas/certificates won't allow for advanced standing. However if you are interested in doing a BSW I believe several schools will give you direct entry into 3rd year after the SSW diploma.

I think its always great to get as much work experience as possible to build your resume up. Most SSW course also offer placements which will be great for your application.

Hey, thank you so much for your valuable feedback.  I hope things do work out for me too. I really do! ?

1 hour ago, Nus219 said:

More experience is never a bad thing. From my experience I've seen several successful non-BSW applicants who also completed a SSW diploma or something similar. It shows the admissions committee your interest in social work and your dedication to learning. A SSW may open up new volunteering/work opportunities for you as well. If you go the route of a diploma, I would recommend choosing something you are genuinely interested in. And, if you get accepted to the York program or get off the waitlist for UofT, you can just withdraw your place in the SSW program. 

Feel free to correct me if you are already doing this, but have you considered volunteering for a distress line/crisis intervention service? My connection at UofT said that my >1500 hours on the crisis text line was more than enough on its own to make my application competitive. This is a great way to gain direct client experience and teaches you crisis intervention skills. The Kids Help Phone crisis text line is also pretty flexible, you do it from home on your computer and you can do your hours at any time (they ask for a minimim of 4 hours/week for the first year). 

Relatedly, my UofT connect told me it's easier to get into the advanced standing MSW vs. 2-year MSW at UofT, as there are fewer applicants. 

Edited by DD2021

2 hours ago, DD2021 said:

More experience is never a bad thing. From my experience I've seen several successful non-BSW applicants who also completed a SSW diploma or something similar. It shows the admissions committee your interest in social work and your dedication to learning. A SSW may open up new volunteering/work opportunities for you as well. If you go the route of a diploma, I would recommend choosing something you are genuinely interested in. And, if you get accepted to the York program or get off the waitlist for UofT, you can just withdraw your place in the SSW program. 

Feel free to correct me if you are already doing this, but have you considered volunteering for a distress line/crisis intervention service? My connection at UofT said that my >1500 hours on the crisis text line was more than enough on its own to make my application competitive. This is a great way to gain direct client experience and teaches you crisis intervention skills. The Kids Help Phone crisis text line is also pretty flexible, you do it from home on your computer and you can do your hours at any time (they ask for a minimim of 4 hours/week for the first year). 

Relatedly, my UofT connect told me it's easier to get into the advanced standing MSW vs. 2-year MSW at UofT, as there are fewer applicants. 

Hey @DD2021 I really appreciate your comment. I have been doing a volunteering in a family program where i spend 3 hours/week with my client who is a cancer patient.. (e.g. spend quality time/ look after her youngest child if she takes rest/ accompany them to child care centers etc.) But, just like you advised i would try to volunteer in a crisis line so that i can gather more experience. Your suggestions are super helpful. Thanks again :)

Hey everyone! Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but have any uoft applicants looked into the collaborative specializations? I was looking into applying for the women and gender studies option but wanted some insight into how difficult it is to balance, be admitted, etc. Thanks :) 

11 hours ago, Nus219 said:

Hey there! I did the exact same last year! I was waitlisted at UofT for the two-year program, wasn't really too surprised as I was fresh from my undergrad and didn't have a lot of experience in the field yet. I did get into the York post-degree BSW around mid-April last year and accepted my offer. I'm just wrapping up my first year in the program and have a really amazing practicum placement lined up for fall. 

Unfortunately only a BSW can qualify you for advanced standing MSW programs. However, BSW programs do also qualify you as an RSW, which can by itself open a lot of doors if you're looking to be done school as soon as possible. I plan on applying for advanced standing programs next year and by that time I will have added 5000 hours of crisis work and counselling experience from last years application, 700 hours of practicum placement, and significantly stronger academic and professional references. York class sizes are very small and it's really easy to make great connections with the professors. I also didn't want to roll the dice on 2-year UofT again this year as it's super competitive and there are no guarantees of getting in the second time around even with far more experience. The acceptances are super diverse in backgrounds (clinical, social justice, research, etc.) so it's almost impossible to predict who they will accept year to year. Highly recommend the post-degree BSW! Don't panic that you haven't heard back yet, York seems to move on the slower side and the PD-BSW acceptances went out like mid-April to June last year. Hope that helps! :)

2 hours ago, YouBetterSocialWerk said:

Hey there! I did the exact same last year! I was waitlisted at UofT for the two-year program, wasn't really too surprised as I was fresh from my undergrad and didn't have a lot of experience in the field yet. I did get into the York post-degree BSW around mid-April last year and accepted my offer. I'm just wrapping up my first year in the program and have a really amazing practicum placement lined up for fall. 

Unfortunately only a BSW can qualify you for advanced standing MSW programs. However, BSW programs do also qualify you as an RSW, which can by itself open a lot of doors if you're looking to be done school as soon as possible. I plan on applying for advanced standing programs next year and by that time I will have added 5000 hours of crisis work and counselling experience from last years application, 700 hours of practicum placement, and significantly stronger academic and professional references. York class sizes are very small and it's really easy to make great connections with the professors. I also didn't want to roll the dice on 2-year UofT again this year as it's super competitive and there are no guarantees of getting in the second time around even with far more experience. The acceptances are super diverse in backgrounds (clinical, social justice, research, etc.) so it's almost impossible to predict who they will accept year to year. Highly recommend the post-degree BSW! Don't panic that you haven't heard back yet, York seems to move on the slower side and the PD-BSW acceptances went out like mid-April to June last year. Hope that helps! :)

OMG i thought i would never get to hear from someone who has gone through the similar experience but look here you are! This gives me hope. Thank you so much for that. Just in case i don't get in this year, what kind of crisis work/ volunteering do you think i should be looking into so that i can enrich my resume for next year as non BSW background applicant?! Also, would you mind sharing your experience that led you to get accepted into PD-BSW? ?

Edited by Nus219

Hello guys ! I was struggling between UBC Vancouver and York now. Both Advanced Standing.

I personally prefer UBC due to the location and courses, but UBC did not offer me any scholarships. On the other hand, York offered funding for my study. I’m more into clinical practice and micro type SW. I feel that York is more macro and research-focused.

Could anyone share more about the Programs of two schools  ?

13 hours ago, MSW29 said:

Hey everyone! Not sure if this is the right forum for this question but have any uoft applicants looked into the collaborative specializations? I was looking into applying for the women and gender studies option but wanted some insight into how difficult it is to balance, be admitted, etc. Thanks :) 

I'm also interested in the collaborative specializations, either the community development or sexual diversity studies. But my main question is the program only indicates students take 2 electives, meaning those would have to go entirely to the collaborative specialization? There are so many useful electives that I feel I'd be missing out on. Does anyone happen to know if students are permitted to take more than 2 electives, i.e., graduate with more than the minimum required credits?