MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

Hey everyone,

Another UofT waitlister here. I've been trying to stay a little optimistic since waitlist isn't a total rejection but it seems like there's a lot of us here on the list, so I'm not sure how good our odds are... Does anyone know if there's anything we can do while on the waitlist to boost our chances? Like will they care if we have updated experience or transcripts or is it pointless at this stage? 

If anyone gets in off the waitlist let us know! Good luck everyone :)

Hello everyone! This is non-MSW related but I'm needing some of your wise words. After getting waitlisted at UofT and still not hearing back from UBC-O for their MSWs, I was happy to receive a post-grad BSW admission at UBC (does anyone have any experience or info about this program? If so, I'd love to hear). I definitely still want to do an MSW since I want to get into clinical practice and research so overall I would have to spend more years in school. However, I'm hesitant because I'm already in student loan debt from my first BA and the program's load looks heavy enough that I don't know if I'd be able to hold a PT job throughout. I also just graduated so I fear that if I go right back I might be risking burning out at some stage. I would consider working for a bit instead and trying again for MSWs next year but that is taking quite a risk. Could I be underestimating what a BSW can offer me? Is the extra year, effort, and money worth it?

I know these are hard questions to answer but any thoughts on this would be very appreciated. And if anyone has any experience or info about the BSW at UBC let me know. I also applied to the online BSW at Dalhousie which I haven't heard back from.

9 hours ago, Nus219 said:

OMG i thought i would never get to hear from someone who has gone through the similar experience but look here you are! This gives me hope. Thank you so much for that. Just in case i don't get in this year, what kind of crisis work/ volunteering do you think i should be looking into so that i can enrich my resume for next year as non BSW background applicant?! Also, would you mind sharing your experience that led you to get accepted into PD-BSW? ?

Yeah of course! I had some experience doing research, I had worked two short-term contracts at non-profits doing grant writing, advocacy and communication. I volunteered with a non-profit in a community outreach/organizer role for a while and a crisis text line. When the York PD-BSW application was due I had 2 months of shelter experience which didn't make it onto my MSW application because the deadline was much earlier. York is SUPER social justice based, so I focused my application on systemic issues of the youth homeless shelter system. I would highly recommend chat lines like KidsHelpPhone or Greater Toronto Distress Centre. It can be heavy and challenging but super relevant experience and a great way to get your foot in the door to other jobs working directly with people. Front line jobs are a great starting point as well, I have now worked in the shelter system for over a year and held a counselling job for a while which set me up to get an amazing practicum placement :)

Honestly, do the best you can, sometimes it feels frustrating doing things without immediately seeing results but it's all cumulative, and any experience you can get through work or volunteering makes you a stronger applicant and social worker! 

2 hours ago, YouBetterSocialWerk said:

Yeah of course! I had some experience doing research, I had worked two short-term contracts at non-profits doing grant writing, advocacy and communication. I volunteered with a non-profit in a community outreach/organizer role for a while and a crisis text line. When the York PD-BSW application was due I had 2 months of shelter experience which didn't make it onto my MSW application because the deadline was much earlier. York is SUPER social justice based, so I focused my application on systemic issues of the youth homeless shelter system. I would highly recommend chat lines like KidsHelpPhone or Greater Toronto Distress Centre. It can be heavy and challenging but super relevant experience and a great way to get your foot in the door to other jobs working directly with people. Front line jobs are a great starting point as well, I have now worked in the shelter system for over a year and held a counselling job for a while which set me up to get an amazing practicum placement :)

Honestly, do the best you can, sometimes it feels frustrating doing things without immediately seeing results but it's all cumulative, and any experience you can get through work or volunteering makes you a stronger applicant and social worker! 

Hey, thank you so much! The details provided by you will be really helpful for me in coming days. I highly appreciate your help. I wish you all the best for your future endeavour ?

On 3/31/2022 at 7:53 AM, IWantMSW said:

Hey all, got my waitlist email from UofT 2 year MSW as well. I've already accepted my offer to King's, so just wanted to let people know I'll be rejecting UofT and thus making the waitlist a little bit shorter ? congrats to everyone who got accepted, and good luck to everyone still waiting. Please don't give up!

I also accepted King's offer.

Are you domestic or international? Is there like a group for those who accepted and will be going to King's?

Hoping to find people I can connect with before Fall.

1 minute ago, Melibera said:

I also accepted King's offer.

Are you domestic or international? Is there like a group for those who accepted and will be going to King's?

Hoping to find people I can connect with before Fall.

Hey, I'm domestic! I haven't heard of one yet, but I've also been looking. Count me in if there's one!

48 minutes ago, Melibera said:

Got my rejection today. Will proceed with the other university.

For other UBCO applicants, Hope your news are more hopeful!

When did you apply to UBCO? Congratulations on getting another acceptance though!

10 hours ago, FingerCrossedMSW2022 said:

Got rejected at UBCO. I applied January 8 and my last document was uploaded on Jan 31.  So I think UBCO has probably come to the end of their processing. For those who are still waiting, I believe you will hear back from them anytime from now. Wish you all best of luck.

Sorry to hear :( Is this for the 2 year? and how were you notified?

22 hours ago, MSWapplicant1998 said:

Hello everyone! This is non-MSW related but I'm needing some of your wise words. After getting waitlisted at UofT and still not hearing back from UBC-O for their MSWs, I was happy to receive a post-grad BSW admission at UBC (does anyone have any experience or info about this program? If so, I'd love to hear). I definitely still want to do an MSW since I want to get into clinical practice and research so overall I would have to spend more years in school. However, I'm hesitant because I'm already in student loan debt from my first BA and the program's load looks heavy enough that I don't know if I'd be able to hold a PT job throughout. I also just graduated so I fear that if I go right back I might be risking burning out at some stage. I would consider working for a bit instead and trying again for MSWs next year but that is taking quite a risk. Could I be underestimating what a BSW can offer me? Is the extra year, effort, and money worth it?

I know these are hard questions to answer but any thoughts on this would be very appreciated. And if anyone has any experience or info about the BSW at UBC let me know. I also applied to the online BSW at Dalhousie which I haven't heard back from.

This is obviously fully going to be dependent on your unique situation, but getting a BSW significantly increases your odds of getting into a MSW. And there are several funded MSWs across the country (depending on if you're willing to move or not) as well as large government funding (NSERC, OGS - ontario, etc.) so you may not have to pay for the MSW at all. You run the risk of compromising BSW grades and thus your competitiveness for MSW funding if you try to work during the BSW, though, so that is of course an additional consideration. There is a lot to consider but I would recommend the BSW, even if just so you can register upon graduation and get higher paying jobs to work for a few years before your MSW.

20 hours ago, confusedsamosa said:

Anyone else here anxiously waiting to hear from Laurier about the 2-year program? I feel like I've been checking LORIS every hour I'm so stressed haha 

Also still waiting... a bit annoyed with Laurier about this as many MSW programs have released their results a while ago... but still hopeful! I was already accepted to Carleton as my first choice so Laurier will be my second choice if I get in, I will have to decide if I prefer to go in person at Carleton or stay in my comfort zone of online programs at Laurier haha 

Just now, Cassie Bohm said:

Also still waiting... a bit annoyed with Laurier about this as many MSW programs have released their results a while ago... but still hopeful! I was already accepted to Carleton as my first choice so Laurier will be my second choice if I get in, I will have to decide if I prefer to go in person at Carleton or stay in my comfort zone of online programs at Laurier haha 

Yeah the website says April so really it could be any day now. 

There seems to be a lot of disparity in terms of when they've given out acceptances in the past so it's tough to wait. I got into another school (international) and waitlisted at UofT. International schools are difficult financially, for obvious reasons, so I'd rather go to a school in my home province. Just a tough waiting game! 

On 4/5/2022 at 12:02 PM, MSWapplicant1998 said:

Hey there! Congrats on receiving a post-grad BSW admission at UBC! While I don't have an info about the UBC program, I will say I also graduated recently (last year) and applied for a msw while in my undergrad. At that time, I was waitlisted with all due reason. From what you have said, I think a bsw post grad option, will still allow you to pursue a msw after and there are so many more schools that offer advanced msw which I believe you will qualify for. So thats something to consider, when it comes to the opportunities and doors it will open. Finances are a huge thing, which I completely relate to you. If that is the most important thing, I would weigh the cost of both options and see which one is more feasible for you.

I emailed Windsor today to get an update on my MSWwp application (in process on January 13), here is their reply:

Thank you for your email. Your application is in the final stages of the admission process. At this time, the Office of Graduate Studies is dealing with a large volume of files which has caused delays in our processing timeline and do not have an estimate when the applicants will be notified. When an admission decision is made, it will be notified to you by email. Thank you for your patience.