MSW 2022 CANADA APPLICATION FORUM

On 6/25/2022 at 11:35 PM, Tj13 said:

has anyone else gotten off the UOFT msw waitlist or heard back? Specifically the gerontology stream?

I heard back today and got an offer from the waitlist. It is for the two year UOFT MSW program- social justice stream.

Hi everyone,

this is probably a longshot but I might as well try.

I am applying to the MSWWP Windsor Jan 2023 start, but their website where I would download my documentation for completing the application is currently not working. I was wondering if anyone who has applied recently could possibly send me a blank copy of the referees form and the letter for employer agreeing with your application form? 

It would be appreciated beyond what words can say.

thank you

On 3/10/2022 at 7:08 PM, MSWtwenty22 said:

Is there an FB group for windsors advance track mswwp?

If one is/has been started I'd love to join it! I'm in the september start advance track mswwp

Hi everyone! I know how hard it can be to find meaningful volunteer experience to add to your resume, so I wanted to share this opportunity here for anyone who may be interested. 

I am currently working as the Education and Awareness Coordinator for a Youth Cannabis Awareness Program and am looking for individuals between the ages 15-24 who might want to join a Youth Advisory Council to discuss harm reduction practices in relation to youth cannabis use across Canada. Please feel free to message me if you are interested! 

Hey everyone! 

I need help to decide. I have applied to Advance BSW program (2 Years) at York and received acceptance to their sociology program instead of Social Work which i assume would be for 4 years. I have a prior bachelor degree in Business so i don't want to go for another 4 years of hardship to complete a bachelor program. I'm wondering if there is anyone who had a similar experience like this?! I also have accepted the offer for a Social service worker diploma at GBC. I think i will go ahead and decline the offer from York University. I don't see any other option here! I'm still in waitlist for Uoft MSW program :(

On 7/4/2022 at 4:42 PM, Katims said:

If one is/has been started I'd love to join it! I'm in the september start advance track mswwp

I’d also love to join! Also, has anyone received any information about the orientation dates in August? I’ve heard nothing, but my friend who attended last year had heard by now. I’m a bit worried because I have gotten no emails, etc. 

12 hours ago, FingersCrossedMSW said:

I’d also love to join! Also, has anyone received any information about the orientation dates in August? I’ve heard nothing, but my friend who attended last year had heard by now. I’m a bit worried because I have gotten no emails, etc. 

I am starting the mswwp regular track program in September and also have heard nothing! Definitely a bit unsettling. 

On 7/10/2022 at 10:42 PM, Jm123 said:

I am starting the mswwp regular track program in September and also have heard nothing! Definitely a bit unsettling. 

Hey,

I am in this program right now. There was a security breach that has affected everything (blackboard, email, wifi, UWinsite, Leddy Library, etc.), so I am not surprise that you have not been updated as staff and faculty are working to adjust current classes to accommodate. 

1 minute ago, mriley26 said:

Hey,

I am in this program right now. There was a security breach that has affected everything (blackboard, email, wifi, UWinsite, Leddy Library, etc.), so I am not surprise that you have not been updated as staff and faculty are working to adjust current classes to accommodate. 

Ohh good to know! Thank you! How do you like the program? 

On 1/23/2022 at 2:57 PM, MLMSW2022 said:

For WLU, do people apply for the next cohort while waiting for the results of their current admissions? I applied for the Fall 2022 entry for non-BSW and I will not hear back from them until May. But the admissions for Winter 2023 starts on March 1st? But I am also worried that it will look bad like I am not confident in getting in and that's why I have to apply again before the results of the Fall entry comes out. Thanks!

Does anyone have an opinion about this? I have the exact same question. 

23 hours ago, Mariamena said:

Does anyone have an opinion about this? I have the exact same question. 

I would say just apply a second time if you're okay with paying the fee again. Often times step 1 of the application process closes well before their stated date due to volume of applications. It would suck to find out you didn't get in AND miss the deadline for step 1.

It took me three tries to get into their online MSW program and I definitely look back now thinking it would've been such a good idea. And honestly, I really don't think assessors will think too much about your confidence; it's not really about that and I'm sure they've seen many applicants' second and third application (like me)...if they even remember! They get over 200 applications for each cohort! 

Edited by directcareworker

1 hour ago, directcareworker said:

I would say just apply a second time if you're okay with paying the fee again. Often times step 1 of the application process closes well before their stated date due to volume of applications. It would suck to find out you didn't get in AND miss the deadline for step 1.

It took me three tries to get into their online MSW program and I definitely look back now thinking it would've been such a good idea. And honestly, I really don't think assessors will think too much about your confidence; it's not really about that and I'm sure they've seen many applicants' second and third application (like me)...if they even remember! They get over 200 applications for each cohort! 

Thank you for the advice. I guess there’s no other way around it but to start another application for the next intake or miss out. Congrats on getting in. ? That must have felt amazing!! This is my first application, but I will start one for the next intake since the competition is tight. 

Does anyone ever feel bad asking references to keep filling in forms every time? I’m assuming they need to redo them every time we apply. 

Hi everyone, 

I have been lurking around for a few days and am very happy to see so many of you getting accepted in your desired programs. 

I am looking for some advice as I plan on applying for the Part-Time Online MSW at Wilfrid Laurier University. I have recently graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Psychology (with Distinction) and want to move forward towards my academic goal of becoming a Social Worker. 

I have limited volunteer/work experience compared to a lot of you. I have worked full time in the Social Services sector for 11 months now, and have volunteered and worked part time for another 2 years. I do have a decent gpa (3.97 cumulative GPA, out of 4.33). In my last 10 half-credit courses (here in BC, they're 3 or 4 credit courses) I have about 4.27 gpa out of 4.33.

My question is, do you think I have any chance of getting in the program? I am very concerned that I don't have enough experience (I want to start in September 2023) but I do think I have a competitive gpa, although I am not sure if they only look at the last 10 half-credit or at your entire record. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Edited by laurierapplicant101

18 hours ago, laurierapplicant101 said:

Hi everyone, 

I have been lurking around for a few days and am very happy to see so many of you getting accepted in your desired programs. 

I am looking for some advice as I plan on applying for the Part-Time Online MSW at Wilfrid Laurier University. I have recently graduated with a Bachelors Degree in Psychology (with Distinction) and want to move forward towards my academic goal of becoming a Social Worker. 

I have limited volunteer/work experience compared to a lot of you. I have worked full time in the Social Services sector for 11 months now, and have volunteered and worked part time for another 2 years. I do have a decent gpa (3.97 cumulative GPA, out of 4.33). In my last 10 half-credit courses (here in BC, they're 3 or 4 credit courses) I have about 4.27 gpa out of 4.33.

My question is, do you think I have any chance of getting in the program? I am very concerned that I don't have enough experience (I want to start in September 2023) but I do think I have a competitive gpa, although I am not sure if they only look at the last 10 half-credit or at your entire record. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

This is one of the most competitive programs and it’s said people typically only get acceptance with decades of experience. I was waitlisted with 6-years full time social services experience and a 3.97/4.0 gpa from my psyc degree and didn’t make it off the waitlist. I know other people who had the same experience. You’re only edge might be diversity - something about you or your experience that stands out from the rest. 

2 hours ago, CJackson15 said:

This is one of the most competitive programs and it’s said people typically only get acceptance with decades of experience. I was waitlisted with 6-years full time social services experience and a 3.97/4.0 gpa from my psyc degree and didn’t make it off the waitlist. I know other people who had the same experience. You’re only edge might be diversity - something about you or your experience that stands out from the rest. 

Sounds fair, thank you for sharing these points. I will apply for University of Fraser Valley as well, which I think is much less competitive. 

Anyone here has applied to the MSW at University of Fraser Valley (UFV)? How was your experience like?

Hi all-I have been following this thread since the beginning but this is my first post. I wanted to drop in and share my experience for other folks who may be in a similar position as I was. I’m an advanced standing applicant who graduated from my BSW in April. My goals are in clinical practice, and I am a mature student residing in Toronto for the past 11 years with my partner, so I only applied to UofT, the health and mental health stream. 

Like many I was waitlisted in February. I received an email this past Friday and was offered a spot in the program, which I will be accepting. All to say, there is hope! Sending good energy to all of you who are still waiting to hear!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone. 
I’m currently gathering all my documents for my MSW applications. My program proposal (personal statement) is around 3000 words. Just wanted to ask what’s the appropriate length for this. Should also add I’m an international student and this my first time applying for a Canadian university. 

On 8/2/2022 at 10:23 AM, Mmmx said:

Hi everyone. 
I’m currently gathering all my documents for my MSW applications. My program proposal (personal statement) is around 3000 words. Just wanted to ask what’s the appropriate length for this. Should also add I’m an international student and this my first time applying for a Canadian university. 

It's great you're getting a head start on your apps! Re: length, the length of your personal statement will depend on each individual program's requirement. Ex. For UofT's personal statement, we were required to answer 5 questions, with a limit of 400 words per question. 

On 7/17/2022 at 6:33 PM, laurierapplicant101 said:

Hi everyone, 

Thank you!

It sounds like you have good grades and experience. In my opinion the personal statement is the most important part of the personal statement, because you can use it to highlight your strengths and help you stand out. 

For example, lets say someone applying had decent experience but they barely make the cutoff for grades. At the surface level someone might think they aren't a good applicant. However, they use the personal statement to discuss that the reason WHY they had bad grades is because they had to take care of a sick parent and work full time while in school. Although their grades suffered they still graduated and became more resilient, empathetic, and will be a better social worker because of it. 

Here's a post that goes into more detail about this. Basically, it's alllll about how you frame it, and you can actually turn any deficits into strengths. 

Hope this helps! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 12:39 PM, Mariamena said:

Thank you for the advice. I guess there’s no other way around it but to start another application for the next intake or miss out. Congrats on getting in. ? That must have felt amazing!! This is my first application, but I will start one for the next intake since the competition is tight. 

Does anyone ever feel bad asking references to keep filling in forms every time? I’m assuming they need to redo them every time we apply. 

I would echo what other posters say about the cut-off for Step 1 sometimes happening much sooner. When I applied for September start, the applications opened October 1 and it said cut-off for Step 1 was December 1 but after two weeks into October it was full and cut off (they started capping applications at 200 because they were getting so many). I also definitely suggest people attend info sessions for programs you are applying for or if you missed them, ask if there are recordings. It helped so much to hear from the directors and admissions people what they are actually looking for in appliacations.

In terms of asking references for multiple letters, I also felt bad but found that my references all understood the process and that I would need to do more than one application. Most of them said they re-use the same letter and just tailor it for the program, or I would ask them to highlight specific things depending on the program's focus. Some people will also ask you to draft a reference letter they can work from or make out a list of highlights that you want them to cover, which helps make the process easier for them.

Good luck with your applications!

• 4 weeks later...