Counselling Psychology Canadian Application Forum Fall 2023

stillpsych

My friend got an email for an interview at Western last week and interviewed this week. She will find out within the next 2 weeks of their decision. Anyone else get an interview at western? 

also, how do we check our application status for OISE? My u of T join id login brings me to my application and when I open it, it says ‘submitted’, hasn’t changed since I’ve applied. Am I doing this correctly? 

49 minutes ago, rexandmatcha said:

Did you receive this message to your personal email? It still says “Under Evaluation” for me. Not sure if that’s good or bad 🤷🏼‍♀️

Received it on the online portal. "Under Evaluation" means that they haven't posted the decision for you yet. I don' think its good or bad or anything, it just that your results have not been posted yet.

2 hours ago, mentalhealthmasters said:

I received the same message. 

I applied last year and was waitlisted at the end of February. I didn't receive news that I was rejected until June. I had tried emailing them to ask for more info regarding the waitlist but they couldn't tell me anything. Really discouraging :( good luck to you!!

Thanks for the info. I'm sorry to hear about that experience... really exhausting to wait that long without more info!!

23 minutes ago, Letsdothiss said:

My friend got an email for an interview at Western last week and interviewed this week. She will find out within the next 2 weeks of their decision. Anyone else get an interview at western? 

also, how do we check our application status for OISE? My u of T join id login brings me to my application and when I open it, it says ‘submitted’, hasn’t changed since I’ve applied. Am I doing this correctly? 

Re: OISE -- I have the same status and it's been the same since I submitted my application! I hope someone will give us some insight to what a decision looks like from them (acceptance or denial)! I know that decisions don't come out for a while, like end of March, April, and even May. I hope it's sooner than that, though!

Edited by uncrnpwr
Additional info

1 hour ago, psyapplcnt said:

Same for me! I applied to MA and it’s still under evaluation 

I'm wondering if they haven't released any updates for the MA? I applied for the MRP and thesis streams and haven't heard anything. Did anyone who got rejected, accepted, or waitlisted apply for the reseach-based streams, or just coursework?

I was offered admission to the Counselling Psych course based program at UOttawa yesterday. I actually applied to the MRP stream, got rejected, but they offered me course-based stream. I declined my offer to the course-based just now, so I hope that someone else gets an offer soon! Sending good wishes to you all

9 hours ago, bebeyoda22 said:

I'm wondering if they haven't released any updates for the MA? I applied for the MRP and thesis streams and haven't heard anything. Did anyone who got rejected, accepted, or waitlisted apply for the reseach-based streams, or just coursework?

Yes, this might be an accurate assumption. Maybe they initially send out admission decisions for course-based MEd applicants 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

On 3/11/2023 at 2:09 AM, psyapplcnt said:

Yes, this might be an accurate assumption. Maybe they initially send out admission decisions for course-based MEd applicants 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

On 3/10/2023 at 4:34 PM, bebeyoda22 said:

I applied to M.Ed. course-based and also the MA. Waitlisted for M.Ed., but 'under evaluation' for MA.

On 3/10/2023 at 3:27 PM, Letsdothiss said:

Oh, I think I missed this post. I had my interview with Western. It went well, and they were honestly so nice, that the nerves just went away. I'm pretty sure of the 30 or so interviewees they'll pick half of them

1 hour ago, stormy11 said:

when do you guys think those who are waitlisted for UofA course-based will hear back? I'm feeling nervous

I saw someone say the deadline to accept is March 15 so maybe then. Did you get any further info about where you are on the waitlist? 

I got accepted to U Ottawa’s MEd Counselling Psychology program last week, but their acceptance deadline is March 30. Meanwhile, afaik I can’t expect to hear back from U of T at all (for either OISE’s MEd Counselling & Psychotherapy or the MSW program) before that date. Does anybody have any idea who I need to contact in this situation? I’m aiming for OISE, but I also know it’s really competitive and that Ottawa is also a fantastic option.

Edited by counsellingapplicant23
typo

10 hours ago, counsellingapplicant23 said:

I got accepted to U Ottawa’s MEd Counselling Psychology program last week, but their acceptance deadline is March 30. Meanwhile, afaik I can’t expect to hear back from U of T at all (for either OISE’s MEd Counselling & Psychotherapy or the MSW program) before that date. Does anybody have any idea who I need to contact in this situation? I’m aiming for OISE, but I also know it’s really competitive and that Ottawa is also a fantastic option.

What a frustrating situation! You truly should be able to decide between all options.

You could email Ottawa admissions asking for an extension to the deadline? They may say no but its worth a try. You could also try emailing U of T to get a better sense of when you'll hear back. You might also not get a helpful response, but who knows!!

Otherwise, you can accept UOttawa, and then if you get into U of T, you accept U of T and 'drop out' of Ottawa. This is not ideal for a couple of reasons for sure. I think it might mean that Ottawa wont be able to give your spot to someone on the waitlist (which I, admittedly, care about because I'm on the waitlist). It might also mean that you wont get your money back if you're required to make a payment to UOttawa.

8 minutes ago, Lavender_1 said:

What a frustrating situation! You truly should be able to decide between all options.

You could email Ottawa admissions asking for an extension to the deadline? They may say no but its worth a try. You could also try emailing U of T to get a better sense of when you'll hear back. You might also not get a helpful response, but who knows!!

Otherwise, you can accept UOttawa, and then if you get into U of T, you accept U of T and 'drop out' of Ottawa. This is not ideal for a couple of reasons for sure. I think it might mean that Ottawa wont be able to give your spot to someone on the waitlist (which I, admittedly, care about because I'm on the waitlist). It might also mean that you wont get your money back if you're required to make a payment to UOttawa.

10 hours ago, counsellingapplicant23 said:

I would recommend accepting UOttawa by the deadline, and if you get into UofT, rescind your acceptance to UOttawa. Schools are aware that they provide us all with very different deadlines and most of us are waiting for responses from multiple schools, which is why they keep a waitlist (Ottawa accepted people off the waitlist up until end of April last year).

I was in this situation this year and I just rescinded my acceptance to another school because I was accepted elsewhere. The only problem is that you will lose your deposit - but IMO that is very much worth it to secure your spot. You don't want to be left with no options after all your hard work! 

Has anyone heard from SFU yet regarding the MA or MEd Counselling program? 

Also- does anyone have any information on the MEd counselling program at UNB (University of New Brunswick)? I was accepted, but haven’t been able to find any reviews on the program. Looking for any info on it! 

33 minutes ago, Lmwstudent said:

Has anyone heard from SFU yet regarding the MA or MEd Counselling program? 

Also- does anyone have any information on the MEd counselling program at UNB (University of New Brunswick)? I was accepted, but haven’t been able to find any reviews on the program. Looking for any info on it! 

wrt SFU, their website says that results should be coming out 8-12 weeks following the deadline (which was Jan 15) — so that’d be March 15-April 15. Not sure about UNB!