SSHRC CGS -D & Doctoral Fellowships 2023-2024

capricorn97

12 hours ago, Psychotherapist770 said:

The time line is so important to me in receiving news because I need to confirm my OGS prior to May 1st. It is really hard on all of us waiting in anticipation with no information at all. Anyone else also in my situation- received an OGS and need to accept it this week?

I am in my third year at Laurier looking at the intersection of intimate partner violence and religion.

Accept OGS and then accept SSHRC if you get it. Your university will sort it out. The rules say you cannot hold both awards simultaneously, they do not say you cannot accept both and then retroactively decline one. 

3 minutes ago, TR765 said:

Just wanted to say that while I don't know about the OGS/SSHRC overlap, I received both FRQSC (Quebec equivalent to OGS) and SSHRC for my MA. I had to accept both and the funding was revised afterwards. My uni was very adamant that we should NOT decline any awards if there was any uncertainty so that we didn't end up without funding. Also, congrats on the award!

Same in Alberta. I accepted an AGES (Alberta equivalent of OGS) for my masters in February and then when I got a SSHRC in April that year they took away the AGES and gave me something else. Basically told me to accept any award I get and let admin make the adjustments

1 hour ago, PsychedelicRaccoon said:

I just got off the phone with the helpdesk and while they could not tell me anything specific (because they are not the fellowships office) they advised that 2000 emails are set to be sent out today. I don't know what this means, but fingers crossed!!!

How many NSERC awards are there?  I wonder if that 2000 is all of the NSERC emails.

I just received the following response from SSHRC to an email I had written inquiring about release dates... key word being anticipate for me.  

Good morning,

The results of the doctoral awards competition will be sent electronically via the SSHRC extranet. We anticipate that the results will be available by the end of  April 2023.

You will receive an e-mail with more details in the coming weeks.

Sincerely,

Nicholas

Edited by FoodSecurityNow

If anyone wants advice, it does *not* help, while waiting for the results, to obsessively look over your submitted application looking (and finding) areas where you could have done better. I may or may not be doing this now...

21 minutes ago, FoodSecurityNow said:

The results of the doctoral awards competition will be sent electronically via the SSHRC extranet. We anticipate that the results will be available by the end of  April 2023.

Do decisions ever get released at weekends? If not, results should be issued between today and Friday evening.

22 minutes ago, FoodSecurityNow said:

I just received the following response from SSHRC to an email I had written inquiring about release dates... key word being anticipate for me.  

Good morning,

You will receive an e-mail with more details in the coming weeks.

Sincerely,

Nicholas

I just received an almost identical email, but they said that we'd receive an email with more details by the end of the week... so I guess that's something? 

Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 5.22.27 PM.png

Just now, ALanguageGuy said:

Do decisions ever get released at weekends? If not, results should be issued between today and Friday evening.

I don't ever remember results being released on the weekends. What makes me nervous about the email response I received from SSHRC was the phrasing. It makes me think that we could have them by month end, but that it isn't a guarantee – "We anticipate that the results will be available by the end of  April 2023". 

3 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

I just received an almost identical email, but they said that we'd receive an email with more details by the end of the week... so I guess that's something? 

Do they not just have standardized responses? ... it's like everyone at SSHRC has slightly different information. Get it together people haha. 

Just now, FoodSecurityNow said:

I don't ever remember results being released on the weekends. What makes me nervous about the email response I received from SSHRC was the phrasing. It makes me think that we could have them by month end, but that it isn't a guarantee – "We anticipate that the results will be available by the end of  April 2023". 

Yes, they definitely used this wording to cover any delays. I totally get that with the sheer amount of applications, delays can happen, especially if any tech issues arise. I just wish they would contact us even with a mass email of "Sorry we're delayed, but expect another email by..."

2 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

Okay... I finally received something a bit more tangible. 

*Edit: Oops didn't see the previous email in the image!* Assuming this was from an inquiry you sent and not a mass email?

Edited by JB9797

Just now, JB9797 said:

Assuming this was from an inquiry you sent and not a mass email?

No yeah, this was an inquiry. My help desk phone person sent me to a help desk email, who then forwarded me to this person. 

It won't let me reupload for some reason, but here's what I said: 

Hi Suzanne, 

Thank you! I know that the NSERC results have begun to go out yesterday and today. Are our results being released at the same time, or is SSHRC on a different schedule? By end of the week, do you mean Friday or Sunday? 

Thanks, 

And here was the reply: 

Hi,

SSHRC is on a different schedule. You will probably get an email tomorrow or Friday on how to see your results.

Sincerely,

30 minutes ago, JB9797 said:

If anyone wants advice, it does *not* help, while waiting for the results, to obsessively look over your submitted application looking (and finding) areas where you could have done better. I may or may not be doing this now...

Good advice. I decided a long time ago that I'm not allowed to look at my application after it's submitted, or I'm sure I would be doom reading it right now.

1 hour ago, ALanguageGuy said:

I just got a message from the FRQSC (Quebec funding); results will be available tomorrow, 9 AM. Hopefully the SSHRC aren't too far behind!

Out of curiosity, does FRQSC allow you to combine funding with SSHRC, or do you have to choose between the two?