SSHRC CGS -D & Doctoral Fellowships 2023-2024

capricorn97

To my knowledge, you can't fully combine both, but it is possible to partially combine them depending on the circumstances. For example, if you got the 20 000$ SSHRC fellowship AND the FRQSC (which is 21 000$), FRQSC would top off the other one. At the MA level, you can accept both and the FRQSC will fund your second year since it's a 2-year scholarship. However, it wouldn't work for the CGS-D (even if the FRQSC is longer) since the total SSHRC amount is higher than the FRQSC one.   

I received my results about 30 mins ago. It was my first year applying, and I was recommended but not funded (so close). 

Here's the info from my results:

Committee 1A 

Total Score: 9.84 / 12

Applications: 107

Fellowships Offered: 52 (48.6%)

Fellowships Not Offered: 55 (51.4%)

Score of last funded application: 9.87

Good luck to everyone else! 

51 minutes ago, rubblegirl said:

I received my results about 30 mins ago. It was my first year applying, and I was recommended but not funded (so close). 

Here's the info from my results:

Committee 1A 

Total Score: 9.84 / 12

Applications: 107

Fellowships Offered: 52 (48.6%)

Fellowships Not Offered: 55 (51.4%)

Score of last funded application: 9.87

Good luck to everyone else! 

That is so close it's criminal!

13 minutes ago, chicha3maddy said:

This is a disaster it's 3am where I am 😅 To sleep or not to sleep, that is the question

I don't think I'd be able to. Glad it's only 7:45 pm here. I haven't heard anything yet. 

Sorry to those who didn't receive one. 😞

Thanks so much for everyone generously sharing their scores. So sorry to those who have not received ☹️ I am finding that people are being awarded with much lower scores than when I applied (and did not receive) in 2021 (I got a 15/20 and did not receive for my group). I had one friend hear back from CIHR at 11am and not be awarded, then another at 4pm was awarded.. guessing CIHR hears first, then NSERC, then SSHRC.

One question - does anyone know what determines SSHRC CGS-D (35k) versus SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship (20K)? Is it simply that the highest ranked scorers get upgraded to the the CGS-D at time of application? Or is it something else? I had a small panic when a friend pointed out that I had seemingly only appeared to have applied for the fellowship and not CGS-D so have spent six months worried about this 😅...

23 minutes ago, AlexandriaPav said:

Thanks so much for everyone generously sharing their scores. So sorry to those who have not received ☹️ I am finding that people are being awarded with much lower scores than when I applied (and did not receive) in 2021 (I got a 15/20 and did not receive for my group). I had one friend hear back from CIHR at 11am and not be awarded, then another at 4pm was awarded.. guessing CIHR hears first, then NSERC, then SSHRC.

One question - does anyone know what determines SSHRC CGS-D (35k) versus SSHRC Doctoral Fellowship (20K)? Is it simply that the highest ranked scorers get upgraded to the the CGS-D at time of application? Or is it something else? I had a small panic when a friend pointed out that I had seemingly only appeared to have applied for the fellowship and not CGS-D so have spent six months worried about this 😅...

Probably different committees and criteria from year to year (I notice the areas of focus change). As for CGS-D vs SSHRC Doctoral, our applications are submitted to both, but I know that you can't hold CGS-D at an institution outside of Canada. Someone I know was awarded the CGS-D tonight, but isn't at Canadian institution, so I'm guessing it'll be converted to a SSHRC Doctoral.

3 minutes ago, pillowcaserutabaga said:

Could someone say a little bit more about the CGS-D/SSHRC Doctoral difference? I'm at an American institution, but I was just awarded a CGS-D and I'm having a bit of a panic wondering if I accidentally applied to the wrong thing or something. What's going on? 

You didn't apply to the wrong one lol. I think they'll just convert it. You might have to email them.

1 minute ago, j0k3r said:

Nothing for me yet. The people I know who have received results seem to be mostly in the humanities.

Thanks! Hopefully this means the rest of us will be getting our results by Friday evening!