Fall 2023 Admissions

DeoTank

Also got a rejection from UChicago. The guy who got accepted has 5 publications and 1 book so I think it’s reasonable. Received an email from Berkeley saying your application is important and they are still in the process of review. Is this generic or an indication? And anyone knows about NYU? I see some interviews.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:59 AM, TinCanBaby said:

Hi I just “walked” out of my Brown interview.  I posted it on the results on Sunday and forgot to update here.  For me, it went very fast they stuck to 30 min.

Questions were very specific to my trajectory.  But overall be prepared to make a case for why brown, why the department, clear goals for future, know your research, and just show up as you.  This was my first Interview.  

but do take care to develop your questions for them.  Come with six knowing you may only be able to ask three good ones.

Thank you for all the advice! Do you mind sharing the timeline of when to expect to hear back? Thank you 

31 minutes ago, Tia_2023 said:

Also got a rejection from UChicago. The guy who got accepted has 5 publications and 1 book so I think it’s reasonable. Received an email from Berkeley saying your application is important and they are still in the process of review. Is this generic or an indication? And anyone knows about NYU? I see some interviews.

Hi! That post is 99% fake. Chicago just sent out the interview invites and has not admitted anyone yet. I remember seeing a similar post (probably from the same person) on either Berkeley or MIT admits, which is also likely fake.

I received an interview invite from NYU today. Not sure if they contact all tracks at the same time tho. I am sociocultural track btw.

Hang in there and good luck!

25 minutes ago, xxyyzzz said:

Hi! That post is 99% fake. Chicago just sent out the interview invites and has not admitted anyone yet. I remember seeing a similar post (probably from the same person) on either Berkeley or MIT admits, which is also likely fake.

I received an interview invite from NYU today. Not sure if they contact all tracks at the same time tho. I am sociocultural track btw.

Wow I didn’t realize someone would submit fake results. Thank you and good luck with your interview!

58 minutes ago, xxyyzzz said:

Yes. Someone posted fake acceptance to Yale and they haven't even started sending out interview invites. 

2 hours ago, xxyyzzz said:

Congrats!

I am also on the sociocultural track and did not hear anything from NYU. I guess I did not make it...But good luck!! 

Does anyone else get the distinct sense that we're being spammed by trolls on the results page? That Nobel peace prize took it too far ... also in general, shudder to think that anthro programs are accepting folks with the kind of politics that gets you a nobel peace prize 

Hope everyone is doing okay! Sending out lots of warm end of January vibes. I finally got an interview, so if anyone has any tips, would v grateful

33 minutes ago, anxiousanthrogal said:

Does anyone else get the distinct sense that we're being spammed by trolls on the results page? That Nobel peace prize took it too far ... also in general, shudder to think that anthro programs are accepting folks with the kind of politics that gets you a nobel peace prize 

Hope everyone is doing okay! Sending out lots of warm end of January vibes. I finally got an interview, so if anyone has any tips, would v grateful

I agree, it doesn't feel right. The Nobel prize one is ridiculously fake. 

It's especially annoying because I can't tell if the Toronto submission is fake or not, and that's one of the universities I'm waiting to hear back from.

2 hours ago, anxiousanthrogal said:

Hi! I saw it too and I actually found it quite amusing. I think the person is being sarcastic about those spams and how much publication they claim they have. The Nobel thing, president's recommender and also the 4.1 gpa I think this person is sending a clear message that this's not true. I hope you didn't get too disturbed by it. Sending all the warm vibes your way!

Hi, I am a sociocultural PhD applicant and I received an interview request from NYU yesterday. They seem to have sent out all the interview requests at once. Also, I heard that UC Berkeley is trying to finish all their interviews this week!

Hope this information helps with the waiting game and fingers crossed for everyone!

Edited by AnthroNomad

3 hours ago, AnthroNomad said:

Hi, I am a sociocultural PhD applicant and I received an interview request from NYU yesterday. They seem to have sent out all the interview requests at once. Also, I heard that UC Berkeley is trying to finish all their interviews this week!

Hope this information helps with the waiting game and fingers crossed for everyone!

Welp guess I’m not getting a Berkeley interview ?

6 hours ago, AnthroNomad said:

Do you know how many interview invites NYU usually sends out? Like just wondering what the odds are of making it after the interview. There's 3 of us on here who got it for sociocultural I think, and there's four spots in total - so do they interview like 8/10 people?

2 hours ago, anxiousanthrogal said:

Do you know how many interview invites NYU usually sends out? Like just wondering what the odds are of making it after the interview. There's 3 of us on here who got it for sociocultural I think, and there's four spots in total - so do they interview like 8/10 people?

I'm a NYU interviewee too! Not sure how much invites they sent out. My guess is mora than 10, considering they also need some people for waitlists. If they send rejects to interviewees there could even be more.

Fingercrossed for us!

2 hours ago, anthro2023hopeful said:

Two people posted (theoretically) about Cornell, one acceptance and one rejection, but I haven't heard anything :( I am thinking either they are fake or today is the day I'll get the rejection letter? Argh

Edit rejection came through LOL

First decision of this season. Cornell. Rejected. Bad way to the start the season. Waiting on other schools. 0a/1r/0w/11p

On 1/19/2023 at 4:33 PM, substitutemeat2022 said:

Anyone hear anything from MIT HASTS? I saw one interview post a while back I think. So I feel like it's unlikely that I've made it?

That post is fake. I emailed HASTS after seeing it and they told me they hadn't contacted anyone for interviews. Not sure if you already know -- they sent out interview invites two days ago on Jan 24.

Good luck!!