Let's get rejected!!!!!!

bialetti-overdose

Project: Let's get rejected!!!!!!!

Hi guys, I applied for 10 schools for PhD in Psychology and

it's Feb. 18th and I have not had a single interview appointment!

I kept denying myself saying that, since I am an international student, my decision will come later than the Americans.

However, I am starting to accept the cold-truth.

When I took a look at "admission result" of thegradcafe.com, I could not help myself but to compare rejection dates in previous years.

This is what I found:

Acceptance (Da gooot nus) : around late Jan to late Feb.

Interview appointment : around Jan.

Rejection (Da bad nus) : March

hey~ I am screwed :D (and completely insane)

Let's punch in your major name and school that you applied to in the "search box" and compare the dates from 2010.

and let's get rejected!!!!

Eh, I was talking to a friend who was admitted to a top program APRIL 8TH last year. He hadn't heard from them at all and assumed he was rejected. Best not to make assumptions, but stay optimistic while bracing for the worst (easier said than done, right?).

Good luck!

I kept denying myself saying that, since I am an international student, my decision will come later than the Americans.

When I took a look at "admission result" of thegradcafe.com, I could not help myself but to compare rejection dates in previous years.

This is what I found:

Let's punch in your major name and school that you applied to in the "search box" and compare the dates from 2010.

Eh, I was talking to a friend who was admitted to a top program APRIL 8TH last year. He hadn't heard from them at all and assumed he was rejected. Best not to make assumptions, but stay optimistic while bracing for the worst (easier said than done, right?).

Good luck!

Thank you for the word of encouragement.

But I decided to jump outta window tonight. (easier said than done....4 real)

You said it yourself: the good news were rolling until late February.

You have absolutely nothing to worry about: wait for good news until the last day of February. rolleyes.gif

... and then wait for more good news later! Last year, in my field, someone got accepted on 16 April to Harvard!

Also convinced that I'm getting rejected from everywhere. Wish I had sent out more apps. But will improve my SOP and maybe retake GMAT and apply to more schools next year.

Hey- if I stay at my job, I'll be able to vest in the Defined Benefit Plan pension. So I'll get $7/month when I retire!

Also convinced that I'm getting rejected from everywhere. Wish I had sent out more apps. But will improve my SOP and maybe retake GMAT and apply to more schools next year.

Hey- if I stay at my job, I'll be able to vest in the Defined Benefit Plan pension. So I'll get $7/month when I retire!

I've also applied for 4 schools, and got 1 rej so far. and 2 of the other 3 schools have already sent out admissions per the result board. I'm prepared to get more reject emails.

In a way, I find it better to just assume rejections. The waiting made me really unproductive...

Best of luck to all of you guys who are still waiting for ur 1st admissions. but even if you didn't eventually get one, it'd be no big deal. We will eventually prove to those shortsighted departments that it's their lost to reject us. tongue.gif

What do you think you'll do about new LORs? I don't know if they'll care about an evaluation from my boss: "She is shy." :unsure:

Keep in mind, if states are allowed to file for bankruptcy, state employees may not even get to keep their pensions! (Argh!)

Agreeing with the above posters...if you're on a waitlist, you could be waiting until April to hear back and still get an admit in the end.

Remember - the results board is only as reliable as the people posting to it - and between spammers and the fact that many, many people don't frequent the Gradcafe and apply to Grad School, there's just no telling. I always use the results board as a starting point, but with a grain of salt. :)

In.

Applied to 3 schools. 2 rejections, 1 more to go. No interviews.

Feels bad man.

Probably should have applied to some more places. Will be doing it much differently for next year when I try again.

Edited by mj53

Psychology is waaaaaay behind this year compared to previous (well, non-clinical that is). Look at the overall acceptances/rejections received this year vs. last. I've only seen a handful of acceptances to experimental programs thus far.

This is just my perception of how the admissions cycle is panning out this year, but.... if you were applying to mostly state schools, they simply aren't taking as many international students in the social sciences this year compared to previous. It seems like there are actually enough qualified American students this year, and they take precedence. Again, this could be wrong, but from what i've gathered there have been plenty of very qualified international students left in the dust this year.

Don't jump out a window though, think of the person that would have to clean up... :(

This is what I found:

Psychology is waaaaaay behind this year compared to previous (well, non-clinical that is). Look at the overall acceptances/rejections received this year vs. last. I've only seen a handful of acceptances to experimental programs thus far.

This is just my perception of how the admissions cycle is panning out this year, but.... if you were applying to mostly state schools, they simply aren't taking as many international students in the social sciences this year compared to previous. It seems like there are actually enough qualified American students this year, and they take precedence. Again, this could be wrong, but from what i've gathered there have been plenty of very qualified international students left in the dust this year.

Don't jump out a window though, think of the person that would have to clean up... :(

Lol.....

I don't know if this helps, but I'm not expecting any responses until March or April. I just got an offer of admission from my 'safe school' which seemed unusually early. Granted, MFA programs tend to take longer, but hey, I wouldn't give up hope quite yet...

This is what I found:

chill out man, it's only mid February! and you haven't got any real rejections at all. I have. One from Yale laugh.gif and I still haven't heard anything from the other five schools I applied to.

I'm also an international student btw.

Patrick Bateman: (Looking at a business card) Look at that subtle off-white coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a watermark.

Whenever people talk about business cards it always makes me think of American Psycho.

Got my first rejection today (CMU.) It was a real long shot anyway.

As if by fate, my new business cards showed up today in the mail too (beautiful, if I do say so myself.) I think the message is, "don't quit your day job." laugh.gif

Hey johnjhan, don't freak out. I have only received feedback from 1 of 16 schools. That school was the "smallest" program I applied to so they didn't have as many applications to sift through. Yes, people are starting to post results on the site, but the adcoms do, in fact, have until April 15 to get feedback from the first round of acceptances they've sent out. (I, for one, refuse to concede defeat until I receive a rejection letter or it's April 16, even for the reach schools.) Keep in mind that rejections are being posted for those schools too. If you haven't heard anything, that means they didn't reject you yet. That's certainly fueling my hope. :)

(Also, I remind myself that I did wait until the deadline day to click "submit" because I wanted to make sure I did all I could for my SoPs. I think that probably played a role in when the graduate schools sent my packet to the respective adcoms. Maybe this is a factor for you as well?)

I applied to 7 schools. So far 3 rejections (including the one that I had the best shot of getting into). The rest are either across the country or schools that are out of my league. Not sure why I even applied to them in retrospect. In any case, now I am pondering the prospect of looking for another job in this horrible market. Fun fun!

Do rejection emails tend to go out on Fridays? My first one was on a Friday, and it seems like something programs might reserve for the end of the week. Likewise, I think I see more rejection results on the Results page here on Fridays.

Funny, I used to look forward to them, but suddenly not so much...

Just got first rejection, 1 of only 2 schools I applied to so I am out this year I think. I have no chance with the other one either, judging by admits on this board. Sigh. I think I am going to leave this website now and maybe revisit next year, if I have the energy to reapply. Good luck everyone.