MFA 2012 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

ellsworthy

Alright SVA candidates - logged into the my.sva.edu account and my funding letter was there. Not exactly enough to make me jump, if you know what I mean!

where do you see the letter? which login did you use?

Hi, guys! I have an interview with SAIC next week for the post-bac program. Can anyone give me some advice on what to expect? I applied to SAIC MFA (Painting & Drawing) and didn't get in so was advised to apply for the post-bac certificate program. Thank you! :)

I just had it this morning.

It was good. I looked at it as an opportunity to learn more about the strengths/weaknesses of my work, and to practice interviewing.

There were very few questions. I was told about the program. I got to explain the rationale behind my work, and why I made certain stylistic choices, and the rest was a crit. I spent most of the interview listening and asking questions for clarification, and at times (once or twice - it was a very insightful crit - explaining why I felt differently).

It was relaxed, informal and an education in and of itself.

I was told that there were about 100 people invited to interview for it, so I expect there are several profs doing this and no two interviews would be alike.

Advice? I don't know, I guess, try to be as relaxed as you can, don't be afraid to sell yourself a little as a viable candidate, and take it as it comes.

Good luck!

yep. i'm wait listed at Tyler, too. and kind of furious, actually, that it took them a month and one week to_not_tell_me. i called.

i know for a fact that they called to make acceptance offers three weeks ago.

i'm going to accept another offer.

Yale decision: denied, wouldve been fine, but then someone at yale mfa called me to tell me that he broke one of my paintings in half and that it wasnt his fault it just happened. Nice

Anyone else accepted to SVA that has not received their acceptance/enrollment information in the mail? I just heard from the department (Products of Design) by email that I was accepted 3/26 but I need to accept or decline the offer by April 15th. So nice to give me a week and a half :wacko: I haven't received anything in the mail yet from them or SAIC and I'm really hoping it all comes this week so I can really make the best decision...

Yale decision: denied, wouldve been fine, but then someone at yale mfa called me to tell me that he broke one of my paintings in half and that it wasnt his fault it just happened. Nice

How the hell does that just happen??

it "fell" because he was looking for my "name which wasnt on the back".

I'd put my initials. If i had known that wouldve caused him to let it break in half, I'd have written out my entire legal name. So. Ripshit

Edited by brown06

feel sorry for you! I find hearing this new makes me not so obsessed with yale any more...

i am on the waitlist, may not wait ...

That is terrible. I was there to pick up my work earlier this week and they rolled my paintings up really badly and left them filthy. I don't think they respect other's work very much. It left a bad taste in my mouth about the school in general. Why pay so much money to deal with that kind of inconsideration?

it "fell" because he was looking for my "name which wasnt on the back".

I'd put my initials. If i had known that wouldve caused him to let it break in half, I'd have written out my entire legal name. So. Ripshit

That's truly terrible!

I was rejected too.

Good luck with your interview and good luck to 'sympatico' with SAIC's decision...

Thanks!

Wanted to let you know, a friend of mine told me some things about Claremont (he's there, don't want to say in what capacity). He recommended I apply there but I somehow got it in my head that it is more expensive than other schools and passed (wish I hadn't now). He said the student's work can kind of be all over the place but that the facilities and faculty are fantastic and that the surrounding area is great as well and cheaper than LA. Just a little info to help you out maybe!

I just had it this morning.

It was good. I looked at it as an opportunity to learn more about the strengths/weaknesses of my work, and to practice interviewing.

There were very few questions. I was told about the program. I got to explain the rationale behind my work, and why I made certain stylistic choices, and the rest was a crit. I spent most of the interview listening and asking questions for clarification, and at times (once or twice - it was a very insightful crit - explaining why I felt differently).

It was relaxed, informal and an education in and of itself.

I was told that there were about 100 people invited to interview for it, so I expect there are several profs doing this and no two interviews would be alike.

Advice? I don't know, I guess, try to be as relaxed as you can, don't be afraid to sell yourself a little as a viable candidate, and take it as it comes.

Good luck!

Susan Kraut and Richard Hull do the interviews. Mine was fairly informal as well, just asked me to talk about the work and my motivations. I talked to Susan Kraut - gave her what was essentially a thesis statement (an elevator speech) then we talked about some of the works in particular. My interview went really well, she told me that she couldn't say that I was "in" because it's a committee decision and she's gotten in trouble for making statements about someone's chances of success in the past, but that she thought I had a really good chance.

Committee meets either the first or second week of April and are sent out around April 20th. No idea if it's all snail mail.

I'm wondering about that, idk. It wouldve been somewhat ok if the guy I was speaking to wasn't half laughing about it and not at all remorseful.

This is why when you ship things you insure them. This protects them not only in transit, but it also functions as a means of identifying an object's stated worth in court. If you're intending to apply again next year I'd recommend not pursuing any actions against them, but if you're going somewhere else you might consider legal action. Just because you are a potential student doesn't mean your stuff isn't worth anything or that they can just get away with destroying your property. He laughed it off because he knew that they are in the wrong and he's hoping you will laugh it off as well.

I think when you bring things though you have to release the school from responsibility if something happens. Ugh, but still, what a bummer.

I don't know if it's any consolation, but I had a teacher who used to say when things like this happened, that you made it once, you have it in you to make it again!

This is why when you ship things you insure them. This protects them not only in transit, but it also functions as a means of identifying an object's stated worth in court. If you're intending to apply again next year I'd recommend not pursuing any actions against them, but if you're going somewhere else you might consider legal action. Just because you are a potential student doesn't mean your stuff isn't worth anything or that they can just get away with destroying your property. He laughed it off because he knew that they are in the wrong and he's hoping you will laugh it off as well.

The academic world (and the art world) is a relatively small place. Starting your professional career by suing an school over an accident sounds like a spectacularly bad idea.