What will you treat yourself to?

OnceAndFutureGrad

Good ideas! I've been tempted with an iPad for a while, would think about getting that. Expensive chocolate and things like perfume are always nice rewards to me.

Or, if I don't get in anywhere it can turn into a consolation shopping spree since I won't have moving costs to save for..

This is the best topic! If I wasn't unemployed right now, I think I'd treat myself to an iPad and a fancy dinner with DH. But since I am unemployed, I am going to be equally happy with a hot fudge sundae from McDonalds with extra hot fudge and a bottle of wine from my stockpile. :rolleyes:

I think I might get myself a wine *stockpile* if I get in!

If I don't get in anywhere I'll probably sell everything and get a plane ticket to Europe. If I do, I'm getting myself a giant piece of cake for each acceptance letter.

Either way, I'm pretty happy.

If I do get in to an American program I'm buying a sweet new laptop. If I don't get in to an American program I'm quitting my shitty job cause there's no point in suffering through anymore if I'm not getting out this year. Either way I'm getting a badass tattoo to commemorate how hard I worked this year.

They weren't expensive, but after I got admitted, I got myself a necklace and earrings (not quite a set, but they can be worn together). I just wanted a small reminder that I had done something significant and to feel good about it, even when day-to-day things might seem overwhelming or discouraging. It actually helps to wear the necklace &/or earrings when I need a morale boost. I'll have to plan for something more extravagant when I actually graduate!

Wow, that's a pretty hefty list!

It may seem long, but it's really all in prep for taking a large pay cut and having to study hard for 5 years. I want my doggie friend so that I can have a companion, and I want a very sturdy dutch oven so I can make stews and dishes resulting in lots of time-saving leftovers! Additionally, I wish to travel a bit before I start because I will be donating the majority of my twenties to university. I would like to see the world as a young woman (when I am still fine with sleeping on benches and walking for days).

Since so far I've been rejected by 1/2 schools I've applied to I probably won't have an acceptance prize (I'll have a rejection pick me up). If I do get accepted after this interview I'll buy Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and maybe an expensive snack.

If I don't get funding/enough funding I'll continue my plan B: get a related job or unpaid internship in the city holding the worst economy in the Western hemisphere.

If I am rejected from school 2/2 I'll buy a gallon of cheap icecream and some mezcal and eat/drink myself into some pounds while I plan round 2 and plan B.

Either: 1) a week of intensive surfing somewhere hot or 2) a week of scuba diving to get PADI qualified somewhere hot. Having spent a year in a landlocked country I'm pretty ready to go crazy in the ocean for a while.

A diamond pendant shaped like an infinity symbol. A new leather COACH bag. An iPad3 when it comes out. And maybe a MacBook Air so it won't be so heavy to carry around campus (in my new COACH bag, of course).

Since no one buys me presents anymore, all of these are my birthday/graduation/Christmas/acceptance presents to myself. A girl's got to take care of herself first before she can take care of others! (I learned this lesson the hard way--after taking care of all the other people in my life, at the age of 30, I finally started taking care of myself first, and it has been a pleasure!) :)

I love this thread!

What I treat myself to kind of depends on where I get in **knock on wood that I do get in somewhere**

I definitely want a Citizen messenger bag, but if I end up going somewhere with snow, then I'll have to get myself a pair of fancy Sorel boots too.

I'm going to overhaul my wardrobe. I have issues with spending money on myself (a problem a lot of people would love to have, I'm sure!) and there are a lot of "essentials" that I'm missing- a white button down shirt, cardigans, black heels... getting into graduate school is going to be a pretty clear sign that I need to stop dressing like a tomboy (polka dot rainboots go with black dress pants.. right?) and start accessorizing.

I'm also going to treat all my coworkers to fancy cupcakes from the cupcake store in town for putting up with me. :)