What will you treat yourself to?

OnceAndFutureGrad

I definitely want a Citizen messenger bag, but if I end up going somewhere with snow, then I'll have to get myself a pair of fancy Sorel boots too.

Do it! I live in the Northeast, and though my Sorels were a gift, if I had bought them they'd have been the best investment ever. 4 or 5 years later and they're still just as warm as the day I got them. They can withstand up to I'd say -15 or so, with normal socks...add some thick socks and replace the liners and you could probably climb Everest in those beasts.

You know, I was so burdened and stressed out about applications that once I submitted all of them and then received my first acceptance, I realized that I never set a reward for myself! But after reading all of these, I'm going to try and think of something. Especially if I get into one of my reach schools, I'm REALLY going to want to do something decadent.

I need to change my answer- for the first acceptance I bought a new suit but when I get ALL the answers in, I'm finally cutting into the 5 yards of dark brown miniature herringbone that just arrived in the mail.

Edited by GreenePony

When I decide where I'm going, I'm treating myself to a "So Long, Toronto! Goodbye, Canada!" party wherein my coterie of pals and I will spend a weekend doing every silly touristy thing in Toronto, and making conscious efforts to enact every ridiculous Canadian stereotype so that I can get my fill of Canuck-isms before I'm off to the Big Bad US of A. The weekend will conclude with me cooking a giant dinner, and all getting ridiculously drunk, and giving heartfelt (but slightly slurred) speeches about how much our time together in Toronto has changed us for the better, and how simultaneously wonderful and terrifying it is to be leaving the Very Good Thing that I have going on here in the TDot.

There will be tears. Oh yes, there will be tears.

Just got my first acceptance - my treat to myself is a long hot bath, and the best F-ing brownie on the face of the planet, from the bakery I work at. I'm cutting, serving, and drooling over them day in and day out, never giving in. Tomorrow I'm giving in and enjoying every freaking second of it.

I second katiemk1230 - a long, hot and candlit bath, and lots of sweet desserts. Maybe I'll get a facial and massage... ahhh :) I'd also like to get a new laptop, or at least figure out what's been going wrong with the one from my undergrad years.

A huge Nutella and a spoon.

Until I choke to death.

That is all.

Cute! I love this topic. I "inherited" a bottle of leftover, unopened champagne from New Year's Eve. I have been holding onto it, telling myself that I can open it upon hearing back from at least one grad school. Well the first school I heard back from was my dream school, and I got in! Champagne has never tasted so good before. ;) Coincidentally, I also got a new tattoo the day I found this out. Even more coincidentally, it was a very-belated (two years) graduation gift to myself for completing my B.S. All in all, it was a pretty good day.

Once the wait is over, I'm headed to the nearest liquor store with my credit card in hand to spend an irresponsible amount of money. Then I have a few friends in mind who I'm sure will lend their lives to the cause of making it all disappear in a weekend.

If I survive that, I'll need some new clothes for wherever I'm going, since anywhere will be colder than here. I don't think I'll find much in the spring, though.

If I survive that, I'll need some new clothes for wherever I'm going, since anywhere will be colder than here. I don't think I'll find much in the spring, though.

Actually, the spring can be the best time to buy these things... the selection isn't as great, but the sales are awesome! I don't go for super trendy clothes, so I love buying things at the end of the season for cheap :) I know that boots are on sale right now, at least here in Tennessee.

Even places where you *never* need winter clothes (like Texas, despite what my wimpy peers say, it never gets cold-cold), they're on sale at the mid-to-end of winter. My husband just got two new coats for ~75% off and I know Burlington is having a sale on scarves and gloves, maybe coats. After Groundhog's Day is traditionally the best time to hunt down new warm-weather clothes.

Edited by GreenePony

Well, I bought a cheap-but-not-too-cheap bottle of champagne for tonight, since it's my day off work this week and I got my first acceptance on Tuesday... also had a good interview today, so celebrating a little bit. When I make the decision of which school I"m going to (which will hopefully be just that, a decision) a nice bottle will be had :D Just a few more weeks...

Big fan of this thread.

Don't wanna tempt fate, but:

• A bottle of Maker's Mark or Knob Creek (or both for immediate consumption)
  • A Nintendo Wii and a copy of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, which I will finally play the shit out of (have held off to save my perhaps illusory sense of productivity)
  • Maybe new tires for my bike

Man, I am all over the leather messenger bag idea--they're just so expensive! Maybe if I only buy one congratulations gift for myself, it'll be easier to say no to everything else. Terrible logic? Terrible logic.

Man, I am all over the leather messenger bag idea--they're just so expensive! Maybe if I only buy one congratulations gift for myself, it'll be easier to say no to everything else. Terrible logic? Terrible logic.

Goodwill. My favorite (largish) leather bags have come from there. Just takes a bit of hunting.

Goodwill. My favorite (largish) leather bags have come from there. Just takes a bit of hunting.

Nice! I didn't think of that! I'll try to get myself to one in a larger area than I'm in now--the smallish town I'm in is a little poor to be donating leather bags to Goodwill.

I've decided that I'm going to celebrate my acceptances with latte sizes.

A tall means that I got into an MA program unfunded.

A grande means that I got into an MA program, funded.

A venti quad shot means that I got into a fully funded PhD program.

And a trenta (for cold drinks) means that I got into my dream school fully funded!

Today, I am drinking a tall latte because I got accepted to an MA program, with funding info forthcoming (I'm guessing there - all I really know is the official letter will come today.)

I'm hoping to be drinking a trenta soon. Gross, but the massive amount of caffeine will match the massive amount of pure joy I will have if I get in.

:D

Hey Cokohlik, I'm really glad to hear you got in somewhere with funding! I got in to one of my top choices for an MA without funding, so I guess I should just stick with a tall...

Actually, I it was a mixup on my part (even though my POI told me the email I received today would be "good news" which of course I interpreted as acceptance). I was notified today that I've been shortlisted. The program does (according to the website) provide some form funding to its students. I'm a little bummed about the shortlist and even moreso that I jumped the gun, but at the same time grateful because I know that this program really wants me there. :)

We'll see what happens. I'm fairly certain I'll get in, but I'm trying not to think about it just in case. I'll tell ya, I can't wait to start hearing back from these bazillion PhD programs. Geez louise. :lol:

I see you got into two programs. Did one of them offer you funding even if it isn't your top choice? I'm glad you got into one of your top choices! That in itself is awesome and I think you should get some caramel or other sweet tasty syrup in that tall drink ;)