What will you treat yourself to?

OnceAndFutureGrad

It may seem long, but it's really all in prep for taking a large pay cut and having to study hard for 5 years. I want my doggie friend so that I can have a companion, and I want a very sturdy dutch oven so I can make stews and dishes resulting in lots of time-saving leftovers! Additionally, I wish to travel a bit before I start because I will be donating the majority of my twenties to university. I would like to see the world as a young woman (when I am still fine with sleeping on benches and walking for days).

As the owner of a quality dutch oven (Staub, but it was a close call with le cruset) - I can vouch for the fact that it saves TONS of money in the long run. I made turkey chili last night, that will probably do for 3 or 4 dinners. Definitely look for it on sale though; there are tons of great deals (I got mine as a factory second, for about half of retail). Best of luck with your results!

Hmm... I hadn't really thought about it. I think I've been too scared to think of it going either way: thinking of being rejected gives me panic attacks and thinking of getting in feels like I'm jinxing it!

I'll probably just jump around a lot and get some champagne to celebrate. I'm going to the Galapagos/South America this summer for my wedding/honeymoon so that will be either celebration or consolation enough :)

If I get into...

When I get into my ideal program, I think I will buy myself a record player and a complete tea set.

Just because I am facing another 5+ years of student loans and time consuming PhD research, it doesn't mean I have to go without some basic comforts!

Best of luck to everyone! :D

I made a deal with one of my friends who is also applying to grad school (different program) and has shared the entire gamut of emotions with me throughout the process- hope, irritation, and despair. If we get into grad school, we are going to treat each other to a nice japanese buffet. Aside from that, I want to treat myself to some online shopping- maybe one or two pieces of clothes that I can't spare the extra money for at the moment. But to be honest, if I don't get in I'll probably still treat myself- after much moping of course.

DH and I will finally adopt a dog. Nesting set in hard after the wedding and as long as we don't move to the UK, we're getting a dog. A friend even offered to care for it for the year if I do get into Leicester, she even wants us to get a dog.

Edited by GreenePony

A new pair of Doc Martens :D And I did get my first acceptance so I will be buying those puppies tomorrow!

Great choice -- I'm leaning towards shoes, too (albeit the male equivalent). Either a pair of Air Max 95s or, more likely, something sensible from Lacoste.

i agree with a previous post -

imma get me a wardrobe overhaul!

nothing's hotter than a 1st year phD student with awesome fashion sense

DH has been harping on me to do that, he doesn't really get how expensive women's clothes, especially well tailored women's clothes can be. I just can't justify a $120 shirt no matter how well it fits.

If I get in, I'm buying two bottles of Veuve Cliquot (about $80 a pop) - one to bring to my friend's office (she's helped me soooo much with the application process), and one to bring home to celebrate with my mom.

If I don't get in, I'm buying two bottles of some hard liquor, and performing the same actions. :P

Forgot to add one thing! I am spending an entire day in bed playing video games. Preferably two if I have time.

Well, my plan was to buy a pair of Frye riding-style boots, but then my mom bought me a pair of (non-Frye but very nice) boots, so I need a new plan. I think I want to dress up and drink a generous, practically ancient bourbon and/or scotch that night, at this really awesome whiskey bar in town, and then go horseback riding the following weekend. I'll likely end up going out to eat but I'm not sure where yet. Hope I get good news from at least one school. Very scared.

DH has been harping on me to do that, he doesn't really get how expensive women's clothes, especially well tailored women's clothes can be. I just can't justify a $120 shirt no matter how well it fits.

Try to find a Banana Republic outlet! I loooove their clothes for looking like a put-together, professional-type person, but the regular stores are absurdly expensive. The outlet stores, however, carry pretty much the same clothing, but are constantly having really great sales and have a well-stocked clearance section.

Bow ties are cool. Like Fezes.

I love you for beating me to the Dr. Who reference!

If I am accepted, I will get myself a kittykat! He will be fluffy, possibly a Ragdoll breed, and named Herr Chancellor Otto Eduard Leopold von Bismarck (Bizy for short). I will also purchase a set of really nice, expensive cooking knives. This purchase will have no relation to the recent acquisition of the kitty.

I think a day at the spa would go nicely with an acceptance :rolleyes:

It's funny but I hadn't even thought of rewarding myself for an acceptance--I actually treated myself to a day at the spa after I finished all my applications, just for getting through that horrid process. The acceptance itself seems reward enough! That said, I'll probably call in sick to work and bake myself cupcakes :D