What will you treat yourself to?

OnceAndFutureGrad

Even places where you *never* need winter clothes (like Texas, despite what my wimpy peers say, it never gets cold-cold), they're on sale at the mid-to-end of winter. My husband just got two new coats for ~75% off and I know Burlington is having a sale on scarves and gloves, maybe coats. After Groundhog's Day is traditionally the best time to hunt down new warm-weather clothes.

Actually, the spring can be the best time to buy these things... the selection isn't as great, but the sales are awesome! I don't go for super trendy clothes, so I love buying things at the end of the season for cheap :) I know that boots are on sale right now, at least here in Tennessee.

This may totally sound like "Canadian Problems," but I went to University of Windsor, and down here...I find their winter clothes, even with the best selection at the start of the season, are barely winter-ready. Which is fine around here, since I find it's rarely very cold, but not when I go anywhere else -- especially if anywhere else is Calgary, my top choice. But maybe if I get some time to go back home/north post-acceptances (hopefully), I can take a look around. :)

Cokohlik, I love your reward scheme.

Actually, I it was a mixup on my part (even though my POI told me the email I received today would be "good news" which of course I interpreted as acceptance). I was notified today that I've been shortlisted. The program does (according to the website) provide some form funding to its students. I'm a little bummed about the shortlist and even moreso that I jumped the gun, but at the same time grateful because I know that this program really wants me there. :)

We'll see what happens. I'm fairly certain I'll get in, but I'm trying not to think about it just in case. I'll tell ya, I can't wait to start hearing back from these bazillion PhD programs. Geez louise. :lol:

I see you got into two programs. Did one of them offer you funding even if it isn't your top choice? I'm glad you got into one of your top choices! That in itself is awesome and I think you should get some caramel or other sweet tasty syrup in that tall drink ;)

Oh boo! Well, hopefully the shortlist works out for you. I'm crossing and double crossing all my fingers and toes for a spot on the waitlist for UT Austin, both for the program and the funding! It's my top choice, but UW Madison was a close second. Unfortunately I haven't been offered funding ANYWHERE (I actually started a thread about unfunded MAs in the Lit/Rhet/Comp forum cause I'm facing the possibility of an unfunded MA) but I'm still waiting on 2 schools that might include even partial funding.

I also can't drink lattes, but I did say fuck it and called in sick to work today for my first "holiday" in months, which felt very decadent :P

Good luck on all your PhD apps!

I revised my plan:

I took a day off, got hammered, and stretched my septum from a 16g to a 14g (not simultaneously!). Once I decide where I'm going I'm getting another tattoo and a new lap top.

...and then I'm never spending money ever again.

If I survive that, I'll need some new clothes for wherever I'm going, since anywhere will be colder than here. I don't think I'll find much in the spring, though.

Moosejaw is having a North Face sale - go over to moosejaw.com

I told myself last year that I wouldn't cut my hair till I got an acceptance... I've only cut it once since then. Hopefully I'll have an acceptance so I can finally pay someone to fix it!

Also, definitely getting a tattoo and considering putting my nose piercing back in.

And buying a sweatshirt from whatever school accepts me.

[Hopefully this will happen soooon!]

Moosejaw is having a North Face sale - go over to moosejaw.com

Thanks for the advice! Now if I can just get off the waiting list -- or get an acceptance from somewhere else, from that matter.

How many of you have gotten to go through with your plans? Seems like Canadian schools are slower on average than American ones in this process.

New clothes. I haven't bought proper new clothes/new wardrobe for a while, so a lot of my stuff is still "college student" like and while grad school is still college/university, I'll need more professional and more grown up stuff rather than just all AE sweaters.

And buying a sweatshirt from whatever school accepts me.

Ooh, good one. I'll do that. I didn't get one from my undergrad, which is weird, but it was too late by the time I wanted one.

Edited by laviola

In another forum someone posted about how this thread was silly. Why wait to treat yourself? You've done the work, and the stress of waiting to hear back is close to unbearable. I took this to heart and went out with friends all weekend to take my mind off of things (which also kept me away from the constant GC refreshing obsession).

Now that being said, should I get accepted, I think another weekend of good food and drinks with friends will also be in order. But should I not get in anywhere, this crushing news will also be an excuse to do the same :)

there are other forums?

Student Doctor Network is where I've also found some info but I have to say, the grad cafe will always have my heart :) My guess is that there are more out there for various other disciplines I just haven't had the need to search for them. If anyone has any others they've been visiting I'm sure we'd all love to know!

Edited by J.Snow

I view it as more of a final treat to cap off the application process- its FINALLY over, you're actually going somewhere. Or if this cycle didn't work out for you, props to yourself for going through the process nonetheless and resolve for next year/pushing through with plan B.

Now that I finally have an accept (no word on funding yet though), I think I'll buy that marked-down blouse I've been eyeing for sometime. I hope it's still there!

I'm getting myself one of those pens from staples that records and then syncs the recording to written notes. Useful AND ridiculously cool. I'm also going to start using the lucky mug I bought myself months ago but kept wrapped and hidden in my closet until I got into school, but I might wait on that until I actually move. Exciting, I know.

I WISH I could do a tattoo, but I am waaaaay to poor right now.

Maybe for graduation?