What will you treat yourself to?

OnceAndFutureGrad

Very fortuitous timing... I'm off hiking for ten days tomorrow. Was worried that I'd be constantly fretting about what might or might not be in my inbox waiting for me -- now it's my celebration!

I think I might get a piercing. I'm apprehensive because I'm a guy and I'm worried it will somehow detract from my professional options later. It would just be an ear piercing, though I am looking at an industrial (bar along the top cartilage).

Can anyone weigh in on this?

Got into my dream school, treating myself with writing more applications (funding not enough, so trying to get funding and/or defer for a year)....

I'll be heading to Hong Kong at one time though, hopefully when all of this is done with.

Got into my dream school, treating myself with writing more applications (funding not enough, so trying to get funding and/or defer for a year).... I'll be heading to Hong Kong at one time though, hopefully when all of this is done with.

Speaking of traveling... I should've added that to my list (treating myself with a travel to Europe or Asia in early summer).

I think I may treat myself to a new 13" Laptop so I can stop lugging this behemoth around!

I think I might get a piercing. I'm apprehensive because I'm a guy and I'm worried it will somehow detract from my professional options later. It would just be an ear piercing, though I am looking at an industrial (bar along the top cartilage).

Not sure what an industrial is, but if it becomes an issue, you can always take it out later, right?

Your program is graphic arts? I'm sure you'll be fine. Luckily, arts and humanities students tend to have a little more leeway with their appearance than business or professional programs.

• 2 years later...

YAY I love this thread!

Like the above poster said, a school sweatshirt and a U-Haul rental. 

It's been a tradition for the past ten years for me to get a school sweatshirt the moment I've made a decision. 

In fact EEK I'm going to go get it right now! ebay here I come!

On my first acceptance, I dyed my hair blue (well, just the ends). I had been wanting to do something drastic with my hair for a while and this seemed like fun. I bought the dye when I was feeling low about my applications as a sign of confidence in myself. The day after the email came, I was up to my elbows in Manic Panic!

The treat is that I will get to move far, far away.  I think every mile will let me breathe a little easier and smile a little bigger.  And the road trip will be the honeymoon my SO and I were never able to have.

I always say I'll do something big when I... graduate, graduate from masters, obtain my CPA, get into grad school, ect.  I never have... well, I did get a horse when I got my first job, but that is it.  I did buy a tablet recently, but that is because my aunt gave me a lot of money for Christmas.  At some point- maybe next spring- I'll get a kitten.  I promised myself one for passing my CPA exams, but decided against it.  I also want to see Cavalia.

I plan on getting a T-shirt and a hoodie from my school.  My last day of work I plan on wearing the shirt.

I haven't had my own computer in 4 years (I have a smartphone, and a computer at work) so I told myself if I got accepted into grad school, I'd buy a Lenovo Yoga laptop.

My husband came up with a better idea and we're buying nice bikes so we can go cycling together all summer and I commute around town when I move off to school.

I have a bottle of raspberry lambic in reserve for either my first rejection or acceptance.

In case of acceptance I get a new laptop as my present one has a dodgy screen, ports that don't always work, and general old age issues.  

In case of rejections all around my consolation prize is a job somewhere...I hope.

I'd prefer the new laptop...just saying. 

It would be nice to treat myself to something after getting an acceptance, but I'll need my savings for moving far, far away! I've wanted to move to the Pacific Northwest for a while, so getting into Oregon State with a decent funding package will be a huge reward. I suppose after I get settled in and start receiving a stipend, I might be inclined to purchase something.

I could use a new laptop and some new hiking and camping gear. The latter would be especially useful in my new home. I would also like to take a few trips to places like Yosemite and Yellowstone, as well as see the redwoods.

Acceptances elsewhere might call for different rewards. An acceptance to FIU would call for a trip to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Acceptance to UNC would call for some serious beach time in the outer banks.

Also, I forgot to mention my consolation reward if I get all rejections. My sister and niece are planning a trip to Greece, and I think I'll use some of my savings to join them.

Edited by shadowclaw

Treated my parents and myself to a trip to Europe, one that I've been dying to go for as long as I can remember. It'll be a celebration or a consolation prize, depending on the outcome on my top choice. 

Quitting my job and getting a new laptop after my 6 year old Macbook finally died. 

I am torn between wanting to treat myself (got into my dream PhD program!) and knowing that I should be sensible and save all my pennies for my cross-country move and savings - after all, though my program is fully funded, I won't really be putting money into savings for the next, um, 7 years. 

I did treat myself and my bf to a nice dinner the night I learned of my acceptance. I would love to buy myself some small diamond stud earrings (not much of a jewelry person, but I can see myself wearing something classic and understated on a daily basis) and a nice school bag, but I'm undecided on how frivolous the earrings would be.... 

I am torn between wanting to treat myself (got into my dream PhD program!) and knowing that I should be sensible and save all my pennies for my cross-country move and savings - after all, though my program is fully funded, I won't really be putting money into savings for the next, um, 7 years. 

I did treat myself and my bf to a nice dinner the night I learned of my acceptance. I would love to buy myself some small diamond stud earrings (not much of a jewelry person, but I can see myself wearing something classic and understated on a daily basis) and a nice school bag, but I'm undecided on how frivolous the earrings would be....   

If you aren't opposed to 2nd hand earrings, pawn shop diamond studs would be about 1/2 (or less) of retail prices.  A decent bag for school isn't really a treat imo...it's something you need to look professional.