What will you treat yourself to?

OnceAndFutureGrad

You know you've done it. You've seen something really nice, and perfect for you, with a price tag just a little outside of your reach. "Oh, I won't get that now," you say, "but I will when I get into _________!"

For example, I had dreams of medieval studies grad school for the last two years of my undergrad. I actually promised myself three things if I got into a program:

• A CD set of Gregorian chant
  • An action figure of Pope Innocent III
  • A knotwork skull sculpture

When I got my consolation MA, I didn't feel like celebrating. I no longer worked at the store selling the chant, I wasn't down the street from the store that sold Innocent anymore, and my tastes had moved beyond a decorative skull. So I didn't get myself any of these things and, well, you know where last year's attempts went.

I'm not too much a believer in fate, but I am a believer that moving goals is a horrible morale sap; and a promise is a promise, even to yourself. I may not be near music or novelty shops any longer, but I have the internet! And I'm glad to say my tastes have fully returned to realize the awesomeness of a knotwork skull. So I will be making these purchases as soon as possible.

In the meanwhile, I had promised myself one of those art history mugs if I got into an art history program. Well, I didn't, but too bad, because yesterday - the last of my museum internship - I got one from the gift shop anyway. Now I've gotta get into a program, right?

And finally, I've promised myself a bottle of the finest 18-year-old Jameson whiskey for when that doctorate is mine. Now that's a promise I'll never break.

So, what are you going to treat yourself to when you get your results?

We should all get action figures if we get admitted and then engage in a full on action-hero BATTLE. I call dibs on Sigmund Freud! XD

Should the day come that I receive an acceptance, I will be taking my close friends with me to my favorite tea shop and supplying everyone (including myself) with tea and cupcakes! I can't afford a huge dinner, but cupcakes and tea are just as good (if not better)!

I don't have any tattoos but I do have a few electrical brands. I think I'm treating myself to a double helix brand on my upper arm after my first acceptance (if I get one). :D...and a book. A really good, long, must-read-with-coffee-and-a-fire book.

as a vegetarian for so many years, i'm going to treat myself to a steak. it will be amazing.

Be careful -- my friend had a steak after 8 years of being a vegetarian, ate it too fast, and ended up getting sick from it!! Relish the steak. :P

If I get in, I'm buying two bottles of Veuve Cliquot (about $80 a pop) - one to bring to my friend's office (she's helped me soooo much with the application process), and one to bring home to celebrate with my mom.

If I don't get in, I'm buying two bottles of some hard liquor, and performing the same actions. :P

Be careful -- my friend had a steak after 8 years of being a vegetarian, ate it too fast, and ended up getting sick from it!! Relish the steak. :P

If I get in, I'm buying two bottles of Veuve Cliquot (about $80 a pop) - one to bring to my friend's office (she's helped me soooo much with the application process), and one to bring home to celebrate with my mom.

If I don't get in, I'm buying two bottles of some hard liquor, and performing the same actions. :P

Hilarious, a similar performance will ensue in my neck of the woods.

We should all get action figures if we get admitted and then engage in a full on action-hero BATTLE. I call dibs on Sigmund Freud! XD

My parents have a Freud action figure. Apparently you can buy them at the Freud Museum in London. Which, yes, exists. I would totally want an Innocent III action figure though. My friend got me one of the patron saint of hangovers, hopefully I'll put that to good use if I get in.

I haven't thought much about how I'll reward myself if I get in. . . I like the idea of getting a leather messenger bag. I would feel so fancy. Otherwise, hmmm. . .

But these can be rewards OR consolation prizes! Great excuse to indulge, you'll need a present either way.

Well...

IDK. I suppose if I get in, I'll really splurge (if I can afford it by that point!) and get a nice Saddleback leather bag so I don't look like such a fifteen-year-old lugging by backpack around campus.

If I don't get in, I'll buy several bottles of Johnny Walker ...I don't know. I have a mental block about this. I can't think of anything I could possibly want more than to get into a good program and start researching. Let me get back to you.

Hahahaha last year I did this! I said if I get in ANYWHERE I'd buy myself a Nintendo 3DS. I only was accepted to a master's I couldn't afford....but 6 months later (when the 3DS came down in price) I got one.

THIS YEAR if I matriculate into a PhD program I will upgrade to a smartphone, I think. I still have an old, beat-up flip phone that refuses to die. It's great at making calls and terrible at texting, which is okay because I hate texting (*old*) but I think I need the GPS feature as I get lost easily...everywhere....but I'm not sure. I think I'll stick to a pen/paper planner.

Also, I already have action figures of Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, and Wagner (alas, they don't have Haydn or Debussy)