What will you treat yourself to?

OnceAndFutureGrad

I am not treating myself to anything but a pat on the back. I am going to have to move from S.Korea to America, get an apartment, pay for moving expenses and I might have to buy a car, depending on the school. Plus I have to buy a laptop, because I have to give my work MacBook back when I leave my job. The list of expenses...I can't afford a treat which sucks since I might be living in poverty for the next 5-6 years in a PhD program :-(

In an ideal world, I would have enough money to get myself a nice bike as an acceptance present (I currently cruise on a defunct 10 speed built for adolescent girls) OR adopt a puppy!

In reality, I will probably just spend a day in my favorite museum, smiling a lot.

Edited by NaturallyAesthetic

If I don't get in, I'll buy several bottles of Johnny Walker ...I don't know. I have a mental block about this. I can't think of anything I could possibly want more than to get into a good program and start researching. Let me get back to you.

Gellert! I feel obliged to inform you that a little gremlin of self-doubt seems to have taken up residence on your back. I think that he has been writing on your behalf of late...

I always read your posts and think that you sound very clever and self-possessed; you'd make a great addition to a grad program!

Let yourself have a little bit of whimsy and daydreams, don't let the little gremlin live there rent-free!

You know you've done it. You've seen something really nice, and perfect for you, with a price tag just a little outside of your reach. "Oh, I won't get that now," you say, "but I will when I get into _________!"

For example, I had dreams of medieval studies grad school for the last two years of my undergrad. I actually promised myself three things if I got into a program:

• A CD set of Gregorian chant
  • An action figure of Pope Innocent III
  • A knotwork skull sculpture

When I got my consolation MA, I didn't feel like celebrating. I no longer worked at the store selling the chant, I wasn't down the street from the store that sold Innocent anymore, and my tastes had moved beyond a decorative skull. So I didn't get myself any of these things and, well, you know where last year's attempts went.

I'm not too much a believer in fate, but I am a believer that moving goals is a horrible morale sap; and a promise is a promise, even to yourself. I may not be near music or novelty shops any longer, but I have the internet! And I'm glad to say my tastes have fully returned to realize the awesomeness of a knotwork skull. So I will be making these purchases as soon as possible.

In the meanwhile, I had promised myself one of those art history mugs if I got into an art history program. Well, I didn't, but too bad, because yesterday - the last of my museum internship - I got one from the gift shop anyway. Now I've gotta get into a program, right?

And finally, I've promised myself a bottle of the finest 18-year-old Jameson whiskey for when that doctorate is mine. Now that's a promise I'll never break.

So, what are you going to treat yourself to when you get your results?

There's an action figure of Pope Innocent III?!?! NO WAY, how did I not know about this?! That's it, I'm totallly getting that for myself if I get in someplace. That and a hockey jersey from my favorite team (you know, because I'll have to move away from the town where they play ans so I'll have to find a new way to show my pride and everything).

Gellert! I feel obliged to inform you that a little gremlin of self-doubt seems to have taken up residence on your back. I think that he has been writing on your behalf of late...

I always read your posts and think that you sound very clever and self-possessed; you'd make a great addition to a grad program!

Let yourself have a little bit of whimsy and daydreams, don't let the little gremlin live there rent-free!

You are too kind. :D

I will try my best to question that gremlin at every turn. I fear I've given him too much free chocolate cake lately; it's alll gone to his head (and to his love handles).

Sorry to be such a downer as of late. You're absolutely right. I'm going to pull myself up by the bootstraps and keep doing what I'm doing, because I love doing it.

Thank you. :)

lol, I love all the aggressive reading going on but if accepted into the PhD with funding I will probably sit and shake for a couple minutes in complete solitude with my computer and/or phone that I received the email on, then text my partner and mom, then sleep for 7 days straight since I can finally relax. Until 10 days later when I get the list of 150 books I need to know by the next summer, then a whole new level of worry takes over.