PhD in I/O Psychology, Fall 2013

ILuvPsych2013

Hi all,

I have some updates about the programs I've been admitted to and hope they're helpful for someone out there. 

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign- all acceptances have been extended. They do not use a waiting list.

Rice University- all acceptances have been extended. They do not use a waiting list. 

University of Connecticut- unsure whether they use a wait list, but acceptances have been extended. Visiting weekend is the weekend of March 29th (they changed it). I have declined this acceptance, so I hope it helps someone. I applied to work with Dr. Barnes- Farrell, but they do not accept students to work with a particular faculty member. Students do not choose their adviser until after their first or second semester. 

University of South Florida- if you have not been contacted, it is unlikely that you will be. There are 5 offers currently made and 5 people on the "short list" (all were invited to visiting weekend). Two people have accepted offers, and the other 5 short-listed students may be extended acceptances as soon as 3 other admitted students decide whether or not to accept. 

Bowling Green- Accepted students and short-listed applicants have all been invited to visiting weekend on March 15-16.

DePaul has a list of 17; 3 initial offers/waitlists will be sent out within the next couple of days via e-mail just FYI!

Aw man, I've been waiting to hear from them.

I e-mailed several people but they just said" Without knowing the details of your application, I would suggest you wait for your letter". I haven't received an email/letter yet so I should assume I have not been selected, yeah? :/

Also, I am an international student and I was not contacted for an interview.

As I type this, I can feel how unpromising this wait is going to be. 

Hi all,

I have some updates about the programs I've been admitted to and hope they're helpful for someone out there. 

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign- all acceptances have been extended. They do not use a waiting list.

Rice University- all acceptances have been extended. They do not use a waiting list. 

University of Connecticut- unsure whether they use a wait list, but acceptances have been extended. Visiting weekend is the weekend of March 29th (they changed it). I have declined this acceptance, so I hope it helps someone. I applied to work with Dr. Barnes- Farrell, but they do not accept students to work with a particular faculty member. Students do not choose their adviser until after their first or second semester. 

University of South Florida- if you have not been contacted, it is unlikely that you will be. There are 5 offers currently made and 5 people on the "short list" (all were invited to visiting weekend). Two people have accepted offers, and the other 5 short-listed students may be extended acceptances as soon as 3 other admitted students decide whether or not to accept. 

Bowling Green- Accepted students and short-listed applicants have all been invited to visiting weekend on March 15-16.

Hi,

Thanks for the info!

Dr. Beier from Rice did email me and say that I am likely on a wait list. Does this mean they don't have an official wait-list but still consider applications they did not make initial offers to?

Aw man, I've been waiting to hear from them.

I e-mailed several people but they just said" Without knowing the details of your application, I would suggest you wait for your letter". I haven't received an email/letter yet so I should assume I have not been selected, yeah? :/

Also, I am an international student and I was not contacted for an interview.

As I type this, I can feel how unpromising this wait is going to be. 

We are in the middle of having people visit who have had offers extended to them, so a lot is up in the air as they make their decisions. The faculty may only notify waitlisted applicants who were further down the list once the top of the list is exhausted (no point in telling you you're on the waitlist if you're 20th on the list!). That's my best guess. Good luck!

We are in the middle of having people visit who have had offers extended to them, so a lot is up in the air as they make their decisions. The faculty may only notify waitlisted applicants who were further down the list once the top of the list is exhausted (no point in telling you you're on the waitlist if you're 20th on the list!). That's my best guess. Good luck!

I was wait listed at DePaul a couple of weeks ago but they weren't able to tell me my ranking because they said there wasn't one. Do you know when they might extend others to wait listed applicants if those accepted decline?

Edited by JSUIOPsych13

I was wait listed at DePaul a couple of weeks ago but they weren't able to tell me my ranking because they said there wasn't one. Do you know when they might extend others to wait listed applicants if those accepted decline?

We just had someone visit yesterday, and the other 2 people with offers are visiting next week. I would expect waitlister-s to hear something within the next 2 weeks as these 3 people make their decisions! 

We just had someone visit yesterday, and the other 2 people with offers are visiting next week. I would expect waitlister-s to hear something within the next 2 weeks as these 3 people make their decisions!

Okay! Thanks so much! I'm really hoping for this one even though I've only been wait listed.

Edited by JSUIOPsych13

Has anybody heard from University of Georgia or Northern Illinois University (NIU)?

I emailed NIU last week and I was told I was wait listed. Did you hear anything?

Hi,

Thanks for the info!

Dr. Beier from Rice did email me and say that I am likely on a wait list. Does this mean they don't have an official wait-list but still consider applications they did not make initial offers to?

I word take Dr. Beier at her word. I was told by graduate students that Rice does not use a wait list, but faculty gets the final say and maybe Dr. Beier does things differently. Good luck!!

Claremont: Accepted to M.A. program (applied for PhD), anybody else have this happen?

Houston: interviewed this weekend

Akron: have not heard back, have others?

UMSL: 4 acceptances sent, (1st on waitlist) as  of 2/15, still have not heard about being accepted.

NIU: nothing yet, others?

Penn State: Rejected

Anyone have any more info on University of Georgia? My application still says under review. I contacted them more than 2 weeks ago and they said they were just started to give out answers, and I would hear in a couple of weeks, and it's been 2 weeks.

Also, on Rice. So there is absolutely no wait list? or have people who are on the unofficial been contacted  by their POIs? I am just trying to figure out if it is a good thing or not that I haven't hear anything. They said they would be sending out decisions this week.

Has anyone declined/accepted their offer to Penn state? I am on the wait list, and I am trying to decide if I have a chance.

Finally, just a piece of info, and wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. I got rejected from GW's PHD, but was just accepted to their masters but with no funding.

Thanks everyone!

I emailed NIU last week and I was told I was wait listed. Did you hear anything?

Hiya

I spoke to Marj Holiday the programme coordinator and she mentioned that I was on the waiting list. She asked me to email my PoI or Professor Parker for further info related ranking and stuff. Professor Parker mentioned that I am not the next in line neither am I at the bottom of the list. Not so sure where does that leave me :(

Thanks for the information  :)

Anyone have any more info on University of Georgia? My application still says under review. I contacted them more than 2 weeks ago and they said they were just started to give out answers, and I would hear in a couple of weeks, and it's been 2 weeks.

Also, on Rice. So there is absolutely no wait list? or have people who are on the unofficial been contacted  by their POIs? I am just trying to figure out if it is a good thing or not that I haven't hear anything. They said they would be sending out decisions this week.

Has anyone declined/accepted their offer to Penn state? I am on the wait list, and I am trying to decide if I have a chance.

Finally, just a piece of info, and wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. I got rejected from GW's PHD, but was just accepted to their masters but with no funding.

Thanks everyone!

Rice: I haven't heard anything either, except from Dr. Beier(vaguely). I do know that professors have contacted their top choices. Good luck to us?!

More results... Just got email from Louisiana Tech inviting me to interview. Yiipppeee!!!  Feeling nervous as it is my 1st interview. (The other programs that accepted me did not have an interview.)

Kind of a bummer that the interviews are the same weekend as the SWPA conference and I am presenting... How bad does it look to the conference people if I inform them that I will not be attending after all? (I am scheduled to do a talk/paper presentation based on an independent research study I did.)

I am kind of bummed about the presentation but am way psyched about the interview!

Rice has made four offers (to the best of my knowledge) and has already had admitted students visit.  A couple of weeks ago, I was told that two of those offers were from Dr. Hebl and two were from Dr. Villado. The graduate students I spoke with said that there is no waiting list- that if the four admitted students decline, the professors who have accepted them will not make any more offers. But another person mentioned that Dr. Beier said she was on a waiting list.So it could be that Dr. Hebl and  Dr. Villado are not planning to extend any more acceptances, but other professors (e.g. Dr. Beier) are still debating on whether to admit students or not.

I want to make it clear that this is all speculation, and that my information is a little old. If you hear from a professor directly, take their word and not mine! 

Rice has made four offers (to the best of my knowledge) and has already had admitted students visit.  A couple of weeks ago, I was told that two of those offers were from Dr. Hebl and two were from Dr. Villado. The graduate students I spoke with said that there is no waiting list- that if the four admitted students decline, the professors who have accepted them will not make any more offers. But another person mentioned that Dr. Beier said she was on a waiting list.So it could be that Dr. Hebl and  Dr. Villado are not planning to extend any more acceptances, but other professors (e.g. Dr. Beier) are still debating on whether to admit students or not.

I want to make it clear that this is all speculation, and that my information is a little old. If you hear from a professor directly, take their word and not mine! 

So most likely the other professors are not extending offers? I wanted to work with Dr. Oswald.

Shortlist I believe means they have not decided who they are accepting yet and have limited it until some new information comes in(like an invitation weekend)

Waitlist means that you are not in the first round of acceptances, but if someone in the first round declines then you have a chance.

Also I saw that someone else got accepted to purdue, I was just wondering if you would be interested in PMing and chatting.

I was at the weekend and was accepted as well.   Maybe say hi again.

I'm wondering if there is a difference between being wait listed and being on the "shortlist", anyone know the difference?

Short list means that the school has narrowed their choices down from the initial pool of applicants. For example, I got an interview from San Diego State University for the M.S. program. They had 80 some applicants and narrowed their selection down to the short list of 10 of which they interviewed and accepted 8.

Wait list comes in after the offers/acceptances have gone out. So if i wasn't part of those 8 from SDSU I would be on the wait list or rejected.

Hope that clears it up.

Short list means that the school has narrowed their choices down from the initial pool of applicants. For example, I got an interview from San Diego State University for the M.S. program. They had 80 some applicants and narrowed their selection down to the short list of 10 of which they interviewed and accepted 8.

Wait list comes in after the offers/acceptances have gone out. So if i wasn't part of those 8 from SDSU I would be on the wait list or rejected.

Hope that clears it up.

Thanks! I saw in the results section that someone was accepted to DePaul, wondering if it was a waitlister or not :D

Also I saw that someone else got accepted to purdue, I was just wondering if you would be interested in PMing and chatting.

I was at the weekend and was accepted as well.   Maybe say hi again.

I also got accepted to Purdue.  

Have you decided what you are going to do? I was at the visitation weekend as well. We should chat sometime!