Welcome to the 2012-2013 cycle

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted over the past few days!

I'm not sure about most of the other programs, but from what I remember of last year's thread, UCLA tends to roll out admissions over the course of a week or so.  Hopefully that means folks will continue to hear good news in the days to come.  I have to admit, I'm a little bit surprised that we haven't heard more from UCSD after the wave of rejections on Friday, so there may be movement from them as well.

Random question: What do people think the average ratio of applications per number of spots finally given out is? How many applications for the standard 10 spots, say?

It really isn't instructive to think of the average ratio, as this varies a lot depending on a school's expected yield ratio. Some data on this exists to get a sense of the variance: UCLA, for instance, admits approximately 60 students each year (19% of total applicants) with the aim of getting a cohort of about 20-22, so about a 33% yield rate (possibly with a few people moving in from the waitlist). [1]. Duke admits about 35 students (11%), with the expectations of about 30-40% yield, leading to a cohort of 12-18 ish.[2] Princeton admits about 40 (8%) with the aim of a cohort of about 20-23 (50-57% yield).[3] Michigan admits about 18 students (5%) aiming for a cohort of about 12 (65% yield).[4] I've heard Harvard's yield is something ridiculous like 24/27, but I don't have the data on it. So something like 3:1 might be an OK approximation for schools outside the top six or seven, but it's hard to say.

[1] http://www.gdnet.ucla.edu/asis/progprofile/result.asp?selectmajor=0699

[2] http://gradschool.duke.edu/about/statistics/admitpol.htm

[3] http://www.princeton.edu/politics/graduate/prospective/faqs/

[4] http://www.lsa.umich.edu/polisci/graduate/admissions/faq

It really isn't instructive to think of the average ratio, as this varies a lot depending on a school's expected yield ratio. Some data on this exists to get a sense of the variance: UCLA, for instance, admits approximately 60 students each year (19% of total applicants) with the aim of getting a cohort of about 20-22, so about a 33% yield rate (possibly with a few people moving in from the waitlist). [1]. Duke admits about 35 students (11%), with the expectations of about 30-40% yield, leading to a cohort of 12-18 ish.[2] Princeton admits about 40 (8%) with the aim of a cohort of about 20-23 (50-57% yield).[3] Michigan admits about 18 students (5%) aiming for a cohort of about 12 (65% yield).[4] I've heard Harvard's yield is something ridiculous like 24/27, but I don't have the data on it. So something like 3:1 might be an OK approximation for schools outside the top six or seven, but it's hard to say.

Very interesting numbers.  And wow, my hope for Michigan has just severely plummeted. 

Grats to the recent admits!

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted over the past few days!

I'm not sure about most of the other programs, but from what I remember of last year's thread, UCLA tends to roll out admissions over the course of a week or so.  Hopefully that means folks will continue to hear good news in the days to come.  I have to admit, I'm a little bit surprised that we haven't heard more from UCSD after the wave of rejections on Friday, so there may be movement from them as well.

Well, I have heard plenty from UCSD (I was rejected there last week). I just got my third email alerting me to check my status only to receive the same rejection message. Thanks!

Also, big congrats to the recent admits! I'm hoping to hear good news from UCLA as well but not holding my breath.

Well, I have heard plenty from UCSD (I was rejected there last week). I just got my third email alerting me to check my status only to receive the same rejection message. Thanks!

Also, big congrats to the recent admits! I'm hoping to hear good news from UCLA as well but not holding my breath.

I thought I was the only one who received the "Hey, remember when we rejected your application last week?  Yeah, we still feel the same about you this week." message from UCSD.  Glad to hear I wasn't the only one to get the special treatment. :)

Hey everyone. I also received another email from UCSD to check my status (after being rejected). This time I found a new message encouraging me to apply to the IRPS masters. Did anyone else get this? Is this a generic message?

Congrats to everyone who has gotten good news!  And for those still anxiously waiting to hear something, anything, you're in good company!  

Is anyone else who got into FSU going to the recruitment weekend in March?  Would be cool to meet (electronically at least) some people beforehand.

I'll be there as well!

Also, congrats to everyone getting good news today!

I'm debating if I feel better or worse with Gradcafe here. Better: I am not alone. Other people also feel this way. Worse: 3 of my colleges have sent out admits I haven't received and I haven't heard anything from them. The other 8 are dark. AHHHH.

Edit: Also, emailed Emory gently asking about where/when for Admission Status and haven't received notice back. Maybe I'm a ghost in the system.

Edited by clangeroo

Hey guys, the latest UCLA admit here. Apparently I'm only allowed to make one post today because I'm new here, so I'll try to give all the details. I got the email a few hours ago. A few hours before that, I had a 20 minute 'informational interview' with a Professor (which was scheduled a couple of days in advance). She said they were experimenting with the use of Skype in the admissions process. The chat was pretty cordial; most of the questions came from my side, and I had the feeling that they had already made up their mind before the 'interview'. A few hours later, I got a personalized email from her. Said the official letter will be sent out tomorrow. 

Yep same here...big shout out to UCSD for telling me to got to hell THREE times in one day

Hey guys, the latest UCLA admit here. Apparently I'm only allowed to make one post today because I'm new here, so I'll try to give all the details. I got the email a few hours ago. A few hours before that, I had a 20 minute 'informational interview' with a Professor (which was scheduled a couple of days in advance). She said they were experimenting with the use of Skype in the admissions process. The chat was pretty cordial; most of the questions came from my side, and I had the feeling that they had already made up their mind before the 'interview'. A few hours later, I got a personalized email from her. Said the official letter will be sent out tomorrow. 

Congrats!

Also, to clangeroo above, I've been thinking about the same thing. In the end, I find that I'm more neurotic with the interwebs (refresh refresh), but it's less anxiety than waiting for an envelope to come to your parent's house, like back in the day :)

Hey everyone. I also received another email from UCSD to check my status (after being rejected). This time I found a new message encouraging me to apply to the IRPS masters. Did anyone else get this? Is this a generic message?

I'm really glad you made this post, because when I first received the email alerting me to check my status (for the third time) there was no message other than the rejection. But now I also have the message encouraging me to apply to the IRPS program. I'm definitely going to inquire about it, and if I can just forward my existing application at no additional cost, I might as well see what they say. Thanks so much for bringing that up!

I'm debating if I feel better or worse with Gradcafe here. Better: I am not alone. Other people also feel this way. Worse: 3 of my colleges have sent out admits I haven't received and I haven't heard anything from them. The other 8 are dark. AHHHH.

Edit: Also, emailed Emory gently asking about where/when for Admission Status and haven't received notice back. Maybe I'm a ghost in the system.

Be sure and let us know when you hear back from Emory. I went on the visit and am anxiously waiting to hear the final verdict. Thanks!

To the UCSD IR/PS letter-getters:

I was rejected by UCSD two years ago and did not receive such an invitation. For this and several other reasons I highly doubt the message is sent to everyone. Something about your application caused the adcomm to believe you might be well-suited for that program.

That said, please consider two things as you explore the option of IR/PS:

1) IR/PS is generally considered to be a policy school and the careers open to graduates are not really very similar to those available to PhDs. These sets of careers share little in common outside their broad engagement with political questions and lots of people who want or are well suited for one would not want or are not well suited for the other. Some people do make the jump from policy back into academics, but it academics is your end goal there might be better options.

2) IR/PS is a well-respected policy MA, but this degree is still highly over-subscribed. Lots of people from elite programs end up without relevant jobs or with entry-level positions with extremely low pay and responsibility. While this may be required to begin a policy career, these MAs are usually unfunded and quite expensive. If I recall (and it has been awhile since I have visited) College Confidential's government board is full of policy MAs concerned that thier school debt prices them out of most of the available jobs, should they be so lucky as to get one.

I'm flipping out being nervous about UVa now...

I would think there's no need to be nervous just yet!  If you look at last year's results for UVa they REALLY spread out their acceptances... from early Feb all the way through early April.  direct your worry elsewhere for the time being :)