Anyone else losing their damn mind?

gradorbust

After my first acceptance I felt a rush of relief, and yet because they haven't changed my online status or sent funding information I'm starting to ramp back up on anxiety day by day.  Plus, every time I get an e-mail letting me know that some answer is coming "soon" or "before day X" I get a thrill and then clench my jaw for the next week while I wait.  It does no feel dissimilar to waiting in line for a really scary roller-coaster ride. :rolleyes:

When I see that some of my schools have already made acceptance offers, I just rationalize it by saying that maybe only certain departments have, and then if I see that the acceptance is from the psychology department, I figure that maybe my POI hasn't gotten around to making any offers yet. It's not even February, so it's too early to decide that I am only getting interviews from the schools that have already contacted me. It's keeping me sane-ish for now, until I actually get a rejection.  :wacko:

First acceptance! Now I know I'm going somewhere. Waiting to hear back from seven more. I'm only feeling a little less pressure.

Congratulations! Here's hoping the good news keeps on coming! :)

Edited by viggosloof28

When I see that some of my schools have already made acceptance offers, I just rationalize it by saying that maybe only certain departments have, and then if I see that the acceptance is from the psychology department, I figure that maybe my POI hasn't gotten around to making any offers yet. It's not even February, so it's too early to decide that I am only getting interviews from the schools that have already contacted me. It's keeping me sane-ish for now, until I actually get a rejection.  :wacko:

Well, departments at the same school do admissions pretty much independently so that isn't at all a questionable assumption. I've blocked the results search though because I realized that there is no way that it can possibly help my mental health. At best, I could see nothing, at which point I might as well have not looked at all. But seeing my schools send out acceptances drive me crazy. I almost had a breakdown for a week when one of my top choices had sent out some interviews, and had completely given up. The next day I got an email for an interview from that school.

Does anyone know if departments ever send out wait list notifications before rejections and acceptances? Obviously I'm not privy to a representative sample, but I've heard of wait lists going out at one program, but haven't encountered anyone who has been admitted/rejected. It seems odd to me, but maybe it isn't all that uncommon?

I am applying to one last program, a dual master's program Sciences Po-Columbia University. For that application I have to write at least one paragraph of my SOP in both French and English (French is my native language). So I was translating the first paragraph from English to French, when I noticed something weird in one sentence. It was grammatically incorrect. But I actually submitted all my other SOP with that incorrect sentence for all my U.S. applications! Omg I hate myself so much right now!

I am applying to one last program, a dual master's program Sciences Po-Columbia University. For that application I have to write at least one paragraph of my SOP in both French and English (French is my native language). So I was translating the first paragraph from English to French, when I noticed something weird in one sentence. It was grammatically incorrect. But I actually submitted all my other SOP with that incorrect sentence for all my U.S. applications! Omg I hate myself so much right now!

Aw, don't fret too much. We all did it and the reviewers are used to it. As long as it wasn't rampant you're ok.

In my case I went back and read a few of my SoPs and just put my head down. I told my desk, "I will never admit to writing those. Ever."

This is what happens when I read my SoPs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO_zsHa_JT0&feature=youtu.be&t=5s

I refuse to reread my essays!
Seriously! When I started the application process for my PhD, I re-read the SOP I wrote for my MA apps. I was shocked I got in anywhere. Definitely not looking at any of the PhD SOPs any time soon...
Arhodg, I don't think that normally happens (though I don't know for sure). It's more likely that we just don't have accepts/rejects posting to the results, by whatever fluke.
Thanks, RubyBright; that's what I figured. Also, I agree, girl who wears glasses. All weekend I couldn't wait for Monday and now I'm dreading a week full of trying to focus on work (and not my personal e-mail, grad cafe, etc). I really wish my dream school wasn't the first program I'm expecting to hear from!

It's totally rational to think that decision emails will come in at 11 pm on a Sunday, right? RIGHT?

I got one at 9pm on Friday night, but it was midnight where the school is located.  It could happen.

It's totally rational to think that decision emails will come in at 11 pm on a Sunday, right? RIGHT?
One of my invites came late at night. Anything is possible.

Should I get an acceptance tomorrow, I will be the most relaxed human on the face of the planet.

I will be the most overexcited human on the face of the plant. They may have to peal me off the ceiling.

I hope you do get your acceptance!