Lee Kuan Yew School (LKY School), National University of Singapore (NUS)

[ Request for Info on Accommodation ]

Hi friends,

I got an offer to the MPP Program for Intake 2019/2021 (With Scholarship), but I was recently informed during a webchat with the school that accommodation is not covered (which is strange). They also mentioned that accommodation at College Green is 1,022 SGD / Month, but I am wondering if this is per person or per housing unit. 

Moreover, I asked previous scholars, and they mentioned that their scholarships are funded by the Li Ka Shing Foundation, and it was stated on their Letters of Offers that the foundation will cover accommodation while on our Letters they only mentioned that we received a Scholarship, but housing allowance nor Li Ka Shing was not mentioned. 

Is there a difference between normal scholarships to LKY and the Li Ka Shing Foundation's scholarship? Moreover, does anyone happen to know why they are not providing accommodation this year? 

I've been really stressed out with this, and I do not think I can afford my studies in SG if accommodation is not covered. I would be grateful if anyone can offer me some explanations and alternatives. 

28 minutes ago, JeremyMPP said:

Hi friends,

I got an offer to the MPP Program for Intake 2019/2021 (With Scholarship), but I was recently informed during a webchat with the school that accommodation is not covered (which is strange). They also mentioned that accommodation at College Green is 1,022 SGD / Month, but I am wondering if this is per person or per housing unit. 

Moreover, I asked previous scholars, and they mentioned that their scholarships are funded by the Li Ka Shing Foundation, and it was stated on their Letters of Offers that the foundation will cover accommodation while on our Letters they only mentioned that we received a Scholarship, but housing allowance nor Li Ka Shing was not mentioned. 

Is there a difference between normal scholarships to LKY and the Li Ka Shing Foundation's scholarship? Moreover, does anyone happen to know why they are not providing accommodation this year? 

I've been really stressed out with this, and I do not think I can afford my studies in SG if accommodation is not covered. I would be grateful if anyone can offer me some explanations and alternatives. 

Yes, thats true. I am told by a student at LKY that due to funding pressure they have slashed accomodation this year. However, such a drastic decision will force so many scholars to shed their dream of studying at LKY, because not everyone can afford. The rates are per person for a single room in a shared house at CG. 

Without accomodation from LKY, one has to spend over S$ 800 from own pocket, which may simply not be possible for so many scholars. 

So, I just pray and hope for better sense to prevail and LKY provide with proper accomodation. 

Edited by ASB86

13 minutes ago, ASB86 said:

Yes, thats true. I am told by a student at LKY that due to funding pressure they have slashed accomodation this year. However, such a drastic decision will force so many scholars to shed their dream of studying at LKY, because not everyone can afford. The rates are per person for a single room in a shared house at CG. 

Without accomodation from LKY, one has to spend over S$ 800 from own pocket, which may simply not be possible for so many scholars. 

So, I just pray and hope for better sense to prevail and LKY provide with proper accomodation. 

Thank you for your explanations. I am hoping that LKY can work out on finding a feasible solution for us. Otherwise, so many of us will have to drop this scholarship offer due to financial difficulties. 

Hi everyone,

Any review on the Master in International Affairs program ? It's hard to find informations about it, especially about the average salary after graduate, the jobs that almuni got, ect. Do someone have more informations about it ? Thanks

4 hours ago, EricEa said:

Hi everyone,

Any review on the Master in International Affairs program ? It's hard to find informations about it, especially about the average salary after graduate, the jobs that almuni got, ect. Do someone have more informations about it ? Thanks

The first batch will be graduating this year. So the data will start coming from this year. 

On 4/13/2019 at 2:00 AM, JeremyMPP said:

Hi friends,

Hi,

Yes there are multiple scholarships. Li Ka Shing provides both housing and stipend. ADB, ASEAN and other scholarships only provide stipend. 

I would also recommend letting the school know about it if this is going to stop you from joining. No harm in trying to get some extra scholarship. 

On 4/9/2019 at 8:15 AM, KJP said:

Thank you so much qqwertyy!  I really appreciate it.  This is kinda what I have been feeling, but for me the difference in price will come out to about $80,000 USD.  Is it worth it to go to LSE over Singapore?

Will that financial burden significantly take an impact on your life? If no, then LSE. It's all about networking to get jobs in Dev sector and your access to a good network is more at LSE. Again, if you just wanna stay in Asia and are willing to put in the extra effort into networking, LKY is the place

3 hours ago, qqwertyy said:

Hi,

Yes there are multiple scholarships. Li Ka Shing provides both housing and stipend. ADB, ASEAN and other scholarships only provide stipend. 

I would also recommend letting the school know about it if this is going to stop you from joining. No harm in trying to get some extra scholarship. 

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. Do you happen to know if anything had happened to the Li Ka Shing Foundation scholarship? I was hoping to be considered for that scholarship since I am from one of the ASEAN Countries (Li Ka Shing covers HK, China, ASEAN,..etc), but I am not sure why I am offered a different consideration. Are there any ways we can secure accommodation fundings from Li Ka Shing Foundation or any other external donors? Thanks beforehand. 

On 4/8/2019 at 4:54 PM, Shubhs said:

Don't think so. I had written to the Admissions Committee on the likely release of results for MPA last week, after MPP offers were made. Have not got a reply yet. God only knows when they will start rolling out MPA decisions. 

Did you get a reply about the MPA decisions? 

5 hours ago, sherpa said:

Did you get a reply about the MPA decisions? 

Same here, no word on the MPA application, the more time it takes the less inclined & enthusiastic I am. Not sure why this deviation in announcing decisions this year. 

Edited by Strider1

4 hours ago, Strider1 said:

Same here, no word on the MPA application, the more time it takes the less inclined & enthusiastic I am. Not sure why this deviation in announcing decisions this year. 

Same here. I'm already working considering the admission I have for other school.

So, have got a reply to my mail, basically restating that admissions outcome will be released in batches April onwards. 

3 hours ago, tikna said:

Hi, asking the question again: 

Hi, MPP applicant here. Can someone who has already received the offer for LKY's MPP tell me how many days you get to respond to the offer? Thanks

Normally, it is 2 weeks from the date of issuance of offer letter. 

On 4/14/2019 at 1:25 PM, JeremyMPP said:

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions. Do you happen to know if anything had happened to the Li Ka Shing Foundation scholarship? I was hoping to be considered for that scholarship since I am from one of the ASEAN Countries (Li Ka Shing covers HK, China, ASEAN,..etc), but I am not sure why I am offered a different consideration. Are there any ways we can secure accommodation fundings from Li Ka Shing Foundation or any other external donors? Thanks beforehand. 

I don't think anything has happened to the scholarship. The last we talked to the school, students would get the scholarship. I just think maybe they have reduced the number of students getting it. Moreover, this forum does not seem to have many people who got admission offers. Considering 67-70 people will be there in the next cohort, that means either majority of people who got admission are not on this forum or the school hasn't stopped rolling out admission offers. 

Also I don't think you can approach external funders of the school (other than your own government ones). You can try to negotiate with the school though. Especially if you have offers from other places with better scholarship.   

On 4/15/2019 at 2:27 PM, Strider1 said:

no reply here as well. does anyone know why the delay?

Edited by gradaspirant

I am also still waiting to hear from LKYSPP. Not sure of the reason for the prolonged wait, but the fact that so many of us are still waiting gives me reason to believe that they haven't yet rolled out all offers. 

Hopefully this wait ends soon.