Lee Kuan Yew School (LKY School), National University of Singapore (NUS)

8 hours ago, RG_MPA said:

Guys - Is there anyone in this forum that has got a direct selection mail and have not been invited for Interview.

For MPA -I believe the class size is 40-60 and my best guess is that 30-40% of candidates will be govt/public funded guys who will not have to go through admission process.

Any Insights ??

I read on LKY website, that about 60% of MPA people are getting funding from the School..

21 minutes ago, hunny7 said:

I read on LKY website, that about 60% of MPA people are getting funding from the School..

Hunny7 - I believe the 60% thats mentioned is about the scholarship/funding that LKYSPP is providing to all applicants.

The 60% quoted on website is more of a reflection of the funding support that LKYSPP provides.

Sure, for posterity :)

Toefl - 120/120 

No GRE

Undergraduate degree - B.A. in International Relations, GPA 3.78, Honors for highest GPA of graduating class

Study abroads in France (Sciences Po) and Korea University

6 month internship at a european embassy, two years of full time as a political advisor at an asian embassy and later as a representative of a delegation of the Mexican Ministry of economy focused on trade and investment in the U.S. Currently working as an  advisor at the federal Ministry of Tourism (LKY does not now this).

Volunteering work - 1.5 years as a teacher/tutor for adults finishing high school and learning English

Languages: Spanish, English, French, Portuguese, all advanced

LoRs - One professional and one academic (I'm certain both were extremely well written)

Essays- rushed through them because I decided to apply last minute, I'm a good essay writer but they could have been stronger.

Worries - didn't submit a GRE, applied on a whim last minute, I was actually gonna wait for next year so if I have to wait another year and apply I will be fine since I've also found a ton of other programs that sound amazing. 

Edited by Ella16

@nahuja32 if it may calm you, I have been interviewed and my application status is still "Physical Application Verified". So keep your fingers crossed! You might also be the one who will be admitted without going through the interview.

@Amir Shehzad My brief profile:

IELTS: 8.0

GMAT: 650

Bachelor degree from the best business school in my country, graduated second best in my major.

Worked for 3 years as regulatory advisor at one of the Big 4.

Worries: basically it's virtually impossible for me to attend LKYSPP without getting the funding from them. So I have to score both the admission and the funding. @RG_MPA has mentioned that about 60% of all admitted students may get funding from LKYSPP. I think this might be true. Read somewhere in their orientation page that there was a scholarship ceremony where 117 persons admitted with grants. As the cohort size for the entire school is about 200 persons, the 60% percentage thus makes sense. Kinda generous for them and wow-ed me but they boast that LKYSPP is the 3rd most endowed public policy school so... nice school indeed.

@nahuja32thank you for the kind words! We'll find out soon enough if LKY thinks so too ; ) @Amir ShehzadI have no idea since I never had one, but since so many people talked about their connections dropping as well I would assume there's no point, if they said it won't impact you negatively I doubt they will agree to do it again. Results should be out within the next few weeks now, we'll know soon. 

4 hours ago, Amir Shehzad said:

My first fifteen minutes of interview were lost due to bad connection. Should I email the interviewer for rescheduling? BTW, LKYSPP admission office says that it will not impact negatively on my admission chances. What do you suggest? @nahuja32 @Theo20 @Ella16 @Asokai!

Amir, we all had our share of bad connections during the interview. In my case, I lost the entire blue jeans interview time due to bad connections. Thankfully, the admissions team immediately arranged for me to have a phone interview and that was it. And of course, I was reminded by the Prof of the need for us to be a bit fast due to the time already lost. However, the Prof was very patient and very friendly, though the interview lasted for between 20 - 25 minutes.

Now to your question; I have no feelings whatsoever that lost interview time due to bad connections would impact negatively on anyone's admission chances. How do you know you did not give the Prof what he/she was looking for in the first 1-2 minutes of your interview? Let's just be positive and wait patiently. April is already around the corner.

I may be wrong anyways! Let others share their views on this. I am keenly interested in your thoughts too.

Many thanks folks.

12 minutes ago, Asokai said:

Amir, we all had our share of bad connections during the interview. In my case, I lost the entire blue jeans interview time due to bad connections. Thankfully, the admissions team immediately arranged for me to have a phone interview and that was it. And of course, I was reminded by the Prof of the need for us to be a bit fast due to the time already lost. However, the Prof was very patient and very friendly, though the interview lasted for between 20 - 25 minutes.

Now to your question; I have no feelings whatsoever that lost interview time due to bad connections would impact negatively on anyone's admission chances. How do you know you did not give the Prof what he/she was looking for in the first 1-2 minutes of your interview? Let's just be positive and wait patiently. April is already around the corner.

I may be wrong anyways! Let others share their views on this. I am keenly interested in your thoughts too.

Many thanks folks.

Thanks Asokai! But my interview lasted for twelve to fifteen minutes. Your duration was longer. What does it indicate? Does length count as well? Thanks for your kind words!

Hi everyone,

I just read through some of the amazing backgrounds of those of you who have applied. All the very best for the selection process.

I studied economics at Delhi University, India, and graduated with a first division. Now I have close to 3 years of work experience (2 years in social impact space), and I am now looking at applying to schools for an MPP. Going forward, I want to work in the private sector impact space - development consulting firm, impact investment fund, or global organizations in the impact space. So I was wondering if all of you who are getting into an MPP course are also coming with similar goals.

Though the website gives information on sector-wise employment, what are the jobs people usually end up taking up after the MPP at the LKY? Do they have global placements - both public/private sector? Or are most employed in government/non-profit organizations in Asia? It would be great if I could know some of the organizations and roles where LKYSPP graduates are employed.

Thanks so much.

33 minutes ago, C01 said:

Hi everyone,

I just read through some of the amazing backgrounds of those of you who have applied. All the very best for the selection process.

I studied economics at Delhi University, India, and graduated with a first division. Now I have close to 3 years of work experience (2 years in social impact space), and I am now looking at applying to schools for an MPP. Going forward, I want to work in the private sector impact space - development consulting firm, impact investment fund, or global organizations in the impact space. So I was wondering if all of you who are getting into an MPP course are also coming with similar goals.

Though the website gives information on sector-wise employment, what are the jobs people usually end up taking up after the MPP at the LKY? Do they have global placements - both public/private sector? Or are most employed in government/non-profit organizations in Asia? It would be great if I could know some of the organizations and roles where LKYSPP graduates are employed.

Thanks so much.

Hi @C01

About LKYSPP and their alumni, I believe you can find out more about it in this page: https://lkyspp.nus.edu.sg/admissions/alumni-and-careers/

The page does not mention about the private or public sector, tho. Also, check their wikipedia page. I believe they mention some of the notable alumni. In-dept searching over LinkedIn won't hurt as well.

You must also remember that LKYSPP is basically founded just a decade ago (2004), explaining why they only have about 2000 alumni and small pool of notable alumni as these alumni might still in the mid-management level or so and thus, not yet in the "radar of notable alumni".

Hope it helps!

4 hours ago, Amir Shehzad said:

Thanks Asokai! But my interview lasted for twelve to fifteen minutes. Your duration was longer. What does it indicate? Does length count as well? Thanks for your kind words!

Hi Amir, I would rather stick to what they told when you contacted the LKYSPP on this matter; that it won't negatively impact on admission chances. 

Believe me, the major thing they need to know about all the applicants had already been known in the document review. The interview, though very important, can even be concluded in less than 5 minutes, depending on what the interviewer is looking for.

Besides, we have all done our best, let's leave the rest for the Almighty.

Looking forward to our meeting in LKY come July.

Cheers!

4 hours ago, Asokai said:

Hi Amir, I would rather stick to what they told when you contacted the LKYSPP on this matter; that it won't negatively impact on admission chances. 

Believe me, the major thing they need to know about all the applicants had already been known in the document review. The interview, though very important, can even be concluded in less than 5 minutes, depending on what the interviewer is looking for.

Besides, we have all done our best, let's leave the rest for the Almighty.

Looking forward to our meeting in LKY come July.

Cheers!

Thanks a lot @Asokai! You are really a positive soul! Sure!Everything is unto Almighty. Looking forward to meet you in July at LKYSPP as well!

3 hours ago, Amir Shehzad said:

Thanks a lot @Asokai! You are really a positive soul! Sure!Everything is unto Almighty. Looking forward to meet you in July at LKYSPP as well!

That's the spirit Amir. Are you applying other schools? I have applied to other two but yet to hear from them. LKYSPP is my preferred and like you said earlier on; my prime love.

3 hours ago, Amir Shehzad said:

Thinking to apply to others. Where have you applied? Would you please guide me in this direction?

@Amir Shehzad - Public Policy Management: University of Melbourne and the University of Sydney both in Australia. Also the KDI School of Public Policy and Management, South Korea. But you know I am a Public sector employee, so I rely more on schools that can offer funding - full scholarship for that matter. At the moment, I have no means of funding graduate studies at prestigious and internationally recognized institutions. I am also so very skeptical about the other funding options I have read about in this forum - student loans etc. Don't forget, LKYSPP still remains my preferred study destination.

3 hours ago, Asokai said:

@Amir Shehzad - Public Policy Management: University of Melbourne and the University of Sydney both in Australia. Also the KDI School of Public Policy and Management, South Korea. But you know I am a Public sector employee, so I rely more on schools that can offer funding - full scholarship for that matter. At the moment, I have no means of funding graduate studies at prestigious and internationally recognized institutions. I am also so very skeptical about the other funding options I have read about in this forum - student loans etc. Don't forget, LKYSPP still remains my preferred study destination.

@Asokai Evidently, LKYSPP is everybody's preferred destination. Are their admissions still under process or closed? How much experience do you have? What specifically about your interview? How many stumblings or jerks?

On 3/16/2017 at 2:43 PM, Amir Shehzad said:

@Asokai Evidently, LKYSPP is everybody's preferred destination. Are their admissions still under process or closed? How much experience do you have? What specifically about your interview? How many stumblings or jerks?

Busy somewhere @Asokai?

12 minutes ago, Amir Shehzad said:

Busy somewhere @Asokai?

@Amir Shehzad - Like 11 years work experience in the public sector.

For the Australia stuff, you may need to find out about scholarships they have for your country and the timelines. I applied under the Australia Awards in Africa - a development scholarship program of the Australian Government. Deadline was December last year. 

For KDI, Deadline for KGSP is 20th March, 2017.

About the LKYSPP interview, yea I think it is normal to have a few jerks, especially when you are being asked on a topic that is just coming to you fresh. I simply managed to do my best, relying more on the positives than the negatives. 

Sorry for my late response please! 

Cheers and best of luck to us!

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, Asokai said:

@Amir Shehzad - Like 11 years work experience in the public sector.

For the Australia stuff, you may need to find out about scholarships they have for your country and the timelines. I applied under the Australia Awards in Africa - a development scholarship program of the Australian Government. Deadline was December last year. 

For KDI, Deadline for KGSP is 20th March, 2017.

About the LKYSPP interview, yea I think it is normal to have a few jerks, especially when you are being asked on a topic that is just coming to you fresh. I simply managed to do my best, relying more on the positives than the negatives. 

Sorry for my late response please! 

Cheers and best of luck to us!

Many thanks.

Thanks dear! Nope! What is your real or full name?

1 hour ago, 1309 said:

Does anyone up here know what is the date by when can we expect interview results? April/May seems too general, isn't it?

My interviewer said that they will announce the admission result second week of april, by the latest.

I'd spoken to them last week and they mentioned between April and May. Ofccourse its ultra generic, I have to send my offer reply to other schools and it's hard to sign up for anything without hearing from LKY. I requested for an early decision to which they said only you come in April when the panel sits.