Lee Kuan Yew School (LKY School), National University of Singapore (NUS)

8 minutes ago, Theo20 said:

I remember there's a page in their website explaining the income increase and profile of the alumni. Additionally, you can also go to the LKY SPP LinkedIn page and check the alumni profile one by one. I found it fascinating as their profiles are quite diverse, ranging from civil servant positions, consultants, bankers, and international organisations one. Hope it helps!

Yes it does! Thanks. Good luck to all!

@Amir Shehzad @Kochito22 @kaleembogor yup the Asian Century topic is one of my reasons as well. At first I was sceptical but then China is bubbling now while USA has Trump so you know... SEA dynamic will be very interesting in near future (no offense for Chinese and Americans here).

It's just in my country, people are so into with degrees from US and UK. Some even start looking degrees from Aussie halfheartedly because they think "oh it's too close from Indonesia" or "so many Indonesians there. You don't get the study-abroad feeling", which don't make any sense for me at all because a degree is still a degree right? Especially if it's coming from world-class Aussie schools.

That's why I'm asking the question. It's intriguing to see all of your perspectives as non-Indonesians. Thank you all for sharing your point-of-view!

Edited by Theo20

@Theo20 Yes it will not add a new cultural education or perspective for South East Asians.. Singapore is still part of the wide Malay culture which is common throughout Malaysia-Indonesia-Thailand and encompassing most of the South East Asia.. A US or European education will definitely add some more colors in terms of experiencing a new culture and conduct of day to day matters.. However apart from that NUS is ranked No. 1 in Asia and among top 20 - 30 universities of the world.. So it will definitely give a boast to one's career even if you go back to Jakarta.. 

4 hours ago, kaleembogor said:

@Theo20 Yes it will not add a new cultural education or perspective for South East Asians.. Singapore is still part of the wide Malay culture which is common throughout Malaysia-Indonesia-Thailand and encompassing most of the South East Asia.. A US or European education will definitely add some more colors in terms of experiencing a new culture and conduct of day to day matters.. However apart from that NUS is ranked No. 1 in Asia and among top 20 - 30 universities of the world.. So it will definitely give a boast to one's career even if you go back to Jakarta.. 

But the chunk of pie in this case is that we are Asians and we must focus our minds on Asian research. So, we may add much more facilitation to our local problem modelling and solutions. If we go to Australia or USA or UK, their research has altogether different dimensions.

11 hours ago, kaleembogor said:

Yup, got no doubt about the career advancement. Seniors from my undergraduate university who went to LKY SPP ultimately go to high-flying jobs like World Bank or assistant to the minister. But aside from career boost, any idea why LKY SPP attain their No. 1 spot in Asia despiter the school was founded just a decade ago?

3 hours ago, Theo20 said:

Yup, got no doubt about the career advancement. Seniors from my undergraduate university who went to LKY SPP ultimately go to high-flying jobs like World Bank or assistant to the minister. But aside from career boost, any idea why LKY SPP attain their No. 1 spot in Asia despiter the school was founded just a decade ago?

I have just one answer for this- Singapore. 

The place is the hub of international trade and exchange. It remains neutral and also has the ability to neutrally analyse and learn policy issues. A masters in USA aint gonna give you an unbiased study of China's policy. UK's study aint gonna give you a policy from a perspective where its common wealth nations are valued higher than the nation itself. Singapore will help one learn and analyse facts as facts without pre conceived interests. I believe so. 

12 minutes ago, Rita Hayworth said:

I have just one answer for this- Singapore. 

The place is the hub of international trade and exchange. It remains neutral and also has the ability to neutrally analyse and learn policy issues. A masters in USA aint gonna give you an unbiased study of China's policy. UK's study aint gonna give you a policy from a perspective where its common wealth nations are valued higher than the nation itself. Singapore will help one learn and analyse facts as facts without pre conceived interests. I believe so. 

Nicely put, Rita!

10 minutes ago, curiousstudent said:

Do all of you have a background of, or experience in policy?

No, I don't and I think that is my weak point. But no worry, we will know the outcome soon....What about you anyway?

Edited by Thanapoomped

9 minutes ago, curiousstudent said:

Do all of you have a background of, or experience in policy?

I kind of provide consulting to the financial authority. But my main job is advising financial institutions in compliance and governance topics. What about you?

On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:34 PM, Amir Shehzad said:

Any student from Pakistan who was interviewed for MPP?

Hi. I am from Pakistan. I applied last year and got an offer for MPP which I deferred for 2017. The university has reactivated my candidacy for 2017 and told me that they will contact me in April 2017. Last year they sent offer letters in early April which continued till May. Hope it helps.

41 minutes ago, aemi said:

Hi. I am from Pakistan. I applied last year and got an offer for MPP which I deferred for 2017. The university has reactivated my candidacy for 2017 and told me that they will contact me in April 2017. Last year they sent offer letters in early April which continued till May. Hope it helps.

Thanks. Why did not join last year? What is your profile, @aemi? Would you please like to share your interview if you remember a bit? Hope to join you at LKYSPP.

1 minute ago, Amir Shehzad said:

Thanks. Why did not join last year? What is your profile, @aemi? Would you please like to share your interview if you remember a bit? Hope to join you at LKYSPP.

I am a business graduate from Pakistan with excellent grades which is the only reason I got offer last year I guess. I have worked 3 years on an international project funded by Canadian govt. and running my own small business for last 6-7 years along with a welfare centre for under privileged children.

My case study was regarding international funding options. Interview was conducted at the same time are the doing it separately now? Interview was general about my ambitions and expectations. I didn't get the scholarship though which was the main reason for not joining. When was your interview conducted? have anyone received offer letters yet? 

My interview was about food subsidies in Indonesia and Combodia. Interviews are conducted now separately. Case study is sent 30 minutes before the interview via email OK! You are graduated from LUMS? This time, the interview was about case study only. No ambitions etc. 

On 4/1/2017 at 10:16 PM, aemi said:

I am a business graduate from Pakistan with excellent grades which is the only reason I got offer last year I guess. I have worked 3 years on an international project funded by Canadian govt. and running my own small business for last 6-7 years along with a welfare centre for under privileged children.

My case study was regarding international funding options. Interview was conducted at the same time are the doing it separately now? Interview was general about my ambitions and expectations. I didn't get the scholarship though which was the main reason for not joining. When was your interview conducted? have anyone received offer letters yet? 

Do you know anybody from Pakistan who has been interviewed this year?

ok everyone, based on last year's results my calculations are that the first round of admissions should start coming out between today and tomorrow. I hope to hear good news from all of you guys! Be sure to post your results if/when you get them. May the odds be ever in our favor. 

13 hours ago, Ella16 said:

ok everyone, based on last year's results my calculations are that the first round of admissions should start coming out between today and tomorrow. I hope to hear good news from all of you guys! Be sure to post your results if/when you get them. May the odds be ever in our favor. 

Good information

5 hours ago, MPA_dream said:

Hi, i am from India applying for MPA..Anyone receiving admission update?

@MPA_dream Very nice to know you applied for MPA. That makes the two of us. I guess expectations are really very high at the moment. I for one, like many others, cannot wait to know the final outcome of my LKY 2017 MPA application. When did you have your interview? Looking forward to meeting you in singapore! Good luck to all of us.

1 hour ago, MPA_dream said:

I was not called for interview@Asokai..I was informed that not all selected candidates are called for interview.

Oh yes! I read that somewhere in this forum. You know, I am excited that you are here. Not many MPA applicants are here. In my case, I was interviewed on 3rd March, 2017. Really cannot say how the interview went. The Prof asked, I answered.............and before you knew it, interview was over. All the same, I am positive and hoping we all, at least the folks I have made on this forum, make it to the LKY SPP. Best of luck everyone!