HGSE Fall 2014

Edupunk

I found an awesome furnished option through Airbnb for the nine months.

Wow! Never thought of that for long-term rental..

Guys you can join our admitted students' group on fb at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/708678272488623/

If the link doesn't work, search for Harvard Graduate School of Education, Class of 2014-2015

Edited by OCD or Perfection?

I just wanted to reply very quickly to this message below which I posted a few days ago! Thank you, all you kind people, for your messages and questions! I am very glad and very willing to answer your private messages. Unfortunately I'm on travel this week w/other HGSE students for a school event and will be glad to answer your questions very soon by the end of this week. Just a quick PSA ...  :P  sorry if this does not contribute to the thread.

Looking forward to seeing some of you in person at the Admitted Student events ! 

PS -- I highly recommend the Harvard Grad Market group on Facebook, if you are considering affordable housing options beyond a dormitory. I think you might need Harvard affiliation before you can join the group, but it has TONS of private listings from Harvard-affiliated students for rooms, housing, home appliances/goods, etc., especially over the summer. I've personally found it a very reliable source, especially because it's just the Harvard-wide community and we can sort of trust each other on a different level than, say, on Craigslist.org. 

I've been creeping on this topic for awhile and wanted to say CONGRATS to all of you! I'm a graduating EdM student at HGSE. It's been a fantastic experience for me, and I'm so excited that you all have this opportunity open for you.

If anything, I would say the following things -- 1. GO VISIT! If your travel exceeds a certain # of miles, HGSE does offer travel assistance. I got my flight taken care of last year and that really helped. Also, visiting the schools really makes a difference especially if you are on the borderline about where you should matriculate. I would have attended a completely different program if I had not made the visits to all the schools.

2. HGSE is not known for generous financial aid packages. Just throwing that out there, in case any of you had high hopes for a 100% grants, need-based package... haha. Maybe it'll change over the years! We're definitely trying to change that now.

3. Get to know each other!!! This time (admissions~first day of class) is basically when you'll get to meet everyone and anyone because you don't have a ton of bias about "your cohort"... and also because you have TIME (I seriously don't have free time anymore). Once classes start it's more challenging to get to know folks outside of your cohort, esp if you are in a program w/required classes.

In particular, I think I can speak for my experiences as a student of color, a student from the West Coast, and as a young student (direct from undergraduate), so feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about those aspects of my HGSE experiences!...  :)

Coloradogirl - That's actually a really good idea! Thanks for sharing!! I was looking for furnished places  because moving furniture/setting up is such a headache... (I had to move every year to a new place during my undergrad). Naturally I assumed dorms would be the way to go, but now that I know... I will definitely check out airbnb

I'm thinking about the Cronkhite Center - looks quintessentially Harvard and think it would be a good way to meet more grad students. Anyone else considering this? Anyone have any views/thoughts from those that have stayed there?

I was also looking @ that place too! A little pricier than the other dorm options but it looks really clean/nice/new/convenient.. definitely leaning more towards Cronkhite than the other dorms. 

Edited by xlalala123

Tabeo, I plan to attend in the Higher Education program as well!  Unfortunately I won't be attending the Open House but hope to meet you in August!  I've been working the past 7 years in Admissions at two different schools.  How about you?

My apologies for the late reply. The more I hear about what others have accomplished, the more I'm surprised that I got in! I have limited formal higher education experience, but I did work as a Writing tutor before completing my undergrad. I was also a prominent public speaker and proponent of LGBT student rights as a student. I hope that I can move into student affairs and help disadvantaged students complete their degree and avoid dropping out prematurely via the implementation of improved university social support programs. 

Admitted to HGSE TIE just last week! I really didn't expect this and had almost written Harvard off as someone directly out of undergrad and with scores/grades that weren't that exceptional. However, after getting crazy looks from my advisors, I reconsidered my acceptance and began to appreciate the many possibilities as a Harvard student.  I haven't accepted the offer yet because I'm waiting on the visitation day and also the possibility of a merit scholarship (I'm not too disillusioned about that, though).  

I'm pretty excited about April 3!  Can't wait to meet y'all!

I know what you mean. My GRE scores were four years old and my quantitative score was in the low 40th percentile. Absolutely no idea how I got in. But congrats! You must have made an impression!

I'm thinking about the Cronkhite Center - looks quintessentially Harvard and think it would be a good way to meet more grad students. Anyone else considering this? Anyone have any views/thoughts from those that have stayed there?

Considering it, but it's extremely expensive. The required meal plan is about 2.5k a semester and only offers 10 meals per week. It works out to something like $15 a meal. Ridiculous. It would be cheaper to eat out three times a week. I currently live about 40 minutes away from the campus by public transport, 30 minutes by bike. While I'd like to move closer, That place in particular is so much money for so little space. Unless I got a merit scholarship, I'll probably stay where I am.

The gym inside looks quite nice though. 

Dear All,

I am thinking of applying to HGSE Special Studies (M.A.) Program for Fall 2015 term. Despite my serious intentions, I do not think I stand a chance to get in. I would really appreciate if you could assess my chances of being admitted:

-Got my B.A. from a private U.S. university in 2013. Despite the university's high ranking (Tier 1), it has been receiving a lot of bad press in the past 5 years....

- 3.0-3.2 GPA

-Currently working at a leading foreign policy research organization in WashingtonDC with top government officials and experts

- Have accumulated a very diverse experience in project management, international education and foreign policy analysis 

- Will receive recommendation letters from two internationally acclaimed experts 

- Spearheading a multi-million dollar project fresh out of college

- Extensive volunteer experience

- Aptitude for creative writing

- Studying for my GRE

- Taking certified MOOCs in international affairs

- International student

In short, horrible GPA with very interesting work experience. GRE score promises to be in the 85th percentile.

I would love to meet current or past Special Studies Program Students! Introduce yourselves! :)

I would very much appreciate any feedback ;)

P.S. is it true that HGSE admission rate is 50%? I can not believe that!

Edited by hgse2015

Dear All,

I am thinking of applying to HGSE Special Studies (M.A.) Program for Fall 2015 term. Despite my serious intentions, I do not think I stand a chance to get in. I would really appreciate if you could assess my chances of being admitted:

-Got my B.A. from a private U.S. university in 2013. Despite the university's high ranking (Tier 1), it has been receiving a lot of bad press in the past 5 years....

- 3.0-3.2 GPA

-Currently working at a leading foreign policy research organization in WashingtonDC with top government officials and experts

- Have accumulated a very diverse experience in project management, international education and foreign policy analysis 

- Will receive recommendation letters from two internationally acclaimed experts 

- Spearheading a multi-million dollar project fresh out of college

- Extensive volunteer experience

- Aptitude for creative writing

- Studying for my GRE

- Taking certified MOOCs in international affairs

- International student

In short, horrible GPA with very interesting work experience. GRE score promises to be in the 85th percentile.

I would love to meet current or past Special Studies Program Students! Introduce yourselves! :)

I would very much appreciate any feedback ;)

P.S. is it true that HGSE admission rate is 50%? I can not believe that!

I'll give you a few short answers and then you are welcome to reach out to me through PM if you'd like.

The acceptance rate is not 50%. That would mean 1/2 students get admitted which is not the case. HGSE's yield rates are very high because there is a lot of self-selection in the process with many people thinking "I won't get in, why bother?" or "I can't take a year off of work" or "Too expensive" or "My S.O. lives there, how can I leave". Having said that, about 2800 people apply, around 750 are accepted out of which roughly 670 attend (this varies each year and is statistical speculation based on seeing past years, US news and other such websites). A very generous estimate of acceptances is 30% or 1/3. In truth, I feel it's closer to 25%.

I am curious to know which multimillion dollar project you are spearheading right out of college. 

Also, HGSE is happy to look beyond GPA if you have an otherwise compelling application. All the admitted students I have met (around 30) had exceptional academic credentials (3.8+ gpas, high 80s to 90s in GRE etc). But there are the odd ones out with less than stellar gpas and downright abysmal GREs (7th percentile Quant) who are also there.

Also, I wouldn't recommend going with "internationally acclaimed experts" for your Recs, unless you are on a day-to-day first-name basis with them. A direct supervisor from state university of nothing who knows you and your work very well is preferable to someone whose names appear in international journals but will give you an off-hand letter. HGSE is not impressed with internationally acclaimed-it has more of those than any other place in the world :)

In short, you have every chance of getting in. And you're doing a great job of starting your research early. Your gpa is no longer in your control, but everything else still is---focus on those.

OCD, I think s/he got the "50% admitted" number from last year's US News Grad School rankings which shows Harvard EdM in that range (Stanford at around 40% and Columbia at 55% if I recall correctly). I know the Stanford number is quite a bit off as the admissions office told me earlier this year that the MA admit rates were "around 20-25%" but varies depending on the specific program. Curious where you got your stats from - always interesting to see more reliable data points!

Edited by SoCalGuy

Interesting. My statistical speculation (;)) comes from a few sources, including ranking websites, HGSE's website and last year's thread on gradcafe. Also some other website I don't have the energy to locate right now :)

From HGSE, for the 2014 class:

Ed.D. Students: 25
Ed.L.D. Students: 25
Ed.M. Students: 576

Peterson's (not for the same year-based on difference in tuition):

• Applied2,754
    •  

The Ed.M is probably around 30-50% depending on the program. The Ed.D is in the single digits, and the Ed.L.D is one of the most difficult programs to get into, with the acceptance rate being less than 1% if I remember correctly.

Seems very close to my assessment. Acceptance rates within programs also differ. I think my program, School Leadership, has a high acceptance rate. Could be complete untrue.

Just got my aid package....and it's pretty pathetic. :(

Same here. I got offered a $20K Stafford loan and that's all. I wonder if that can even be right given my financial status?

Same here. I got offered a $20K Stafford loan and that's all. I wonder if that can even be right given my financial status?

Is Stafford the same as Direct Unsubidized Loan? I also received $20k and wondering if that's per semester or the whole academic year.

Is Stafford the same as Direct Unsubidized Loan? I also received $20k and wondering if that's per semester or the whole academic year.

It's for the whole year. I got the same--$20k Direct Unsubsidized. Over $35k unmet need. Yikes. 

First of all, congratulations to everyone on your admission!  

I'm posting because, like many of us, I've received a big white envelope from HGSE within which I found a crimson folder with information about the program (along with a neat bumper sticker...the best part :-).  One of the pages included in the packet gives us the requirements for matriculation, and among these requirements for students currently enrolled in a graduate program it states that all incoming students must, "complete the requirements of the advanced degree" to be eligible for matriculation in the fall.  

This piece is the subject of my question because I am currently an MA student and plan on carrying my thesis into the summer; however, depending on whether I have to schedule follow-up interviews with my participants, completing the thesis may take longer.  I am committed to this project and I don't want to sell my participants short by "just getting it done so I can pick up and go to Harvard."  At the same time, I know that for my long-term commitment to the social justice principles the project is based I need to make room for myself at the table of "education as the social rights issue of our time" by going forward with my coursework at HGSE.  

As I work through these two tensions, I keep mulling over the words, "complete the requirements of the advanced degree," and wonder whether this means that I will be ineligible from matriculation at HGSE in the fall if I don't simply finish the thesis before that time comes.  I know that the wording for the undergrad degree is that it must be "conferred," and I keep wondering if this leaves more room for the MA degree.  Then again, I also think there is a large possibility that the wording around requirements for matriculation may be different for the undergrad and graduate degrees because the person responsible for writing this informational page simply wanted to vary the sentence structure and wording for aesthetic purposes.

Do any of ya'll have any idea of where I might lean as I try to interpret these words?  Of course, I've contacted the Office of Admissions but have not received word yet.  I could wait until they contact me, however long that may take, but I thought that asking ya'll might be helpful as well as you seem like such a warm and supportive bunch!  :-)

Did anyone else notice in the US News books that HGSE enrollment fell by almost 100 students? For 2013 program was 945 and in 2014 it was 855. Are they scaling back the EdM cohorts?

One other thing I noticed after looking at admitted profile stats. At HGSE, teacher programs are a small component of the Masters cohort - only 20-25 students out of 575 or so. At Stanford, teacher ed comprises the majority of masters students - approximately 95-100 out of the 180 or so masters class. Very interesting!

Edited by SoCalGuy

^I think this is simply because Stanford's STEP (teacher education) program - particularly its secondary teaching program - is very highly regarded...one of the best in the country. It attracts a lot of students out of undergrad - especially Cal and Stanford grads - looking to get their teaching credential. STEP is definitely the "star" of Stanford GSE.

HGSE has never been particularly well known for teacher education...

Edited by omnomnam

^I think this is simply because Stanford's STEP (teacher education) program - particularly its secondary teaching program - is very highly regarded...one of the best in the country. It attracts a lot of students out of undergrad - especially Cal and Stanford grads - looking to get their teaching credential. STEP is definitely the "star" of Stanford GSE.

HGSE has never been particularly well known for teacher education...

Interesting - thanks for the info. Btw, are you a Cal or Stanford alum?

Cal! Go Bears!  ;)

And just to prove I'm not making things up: https://gse-step.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/stepfactsheet1.pdf

Stanford and Berkeley are - by far - the two most represented undergraduate institutions. STEP has a pretty strong hold on the "high achieving Bay Area grad" market (take a look at those GRE averages - very high for an ed school).

Also, I don't mean to sound like I'm bashing Harvard's TEP - it's just that I simply know nothing about it! I feel like no one here at Grad Cafe ever applies for TEP@HGSE (http://www.gse.harvard.edu/academics/masters/tep/)

Edited by omnomnam

Go Bears indeed (fellow alum)!

Also, totally unrelated to the last few messages on this thread, but for those thinking about HGSE, definitely check out the videos on their YouTube chancel - some very interesting student perspectives and a bunch of very high profile HGSE events (the "ASKWITH Forums") with speakers ranging from Oprah/Lady Gaga to Arne Duncan/Condy Rice/Chris Christie et al.