Welcome to the 2013-2014 Cycle

Cesare

Dear future colleagues,

[dear competitors,]

dear lurkers,

As a first time poster, let me make two remarks. First, thanks to all the posters for upholding this forum's joviality. Never have I seen pats on the back to such a degree of regularity on an internet outlet of hopes and anxieties. Well done.

Second, I was a much calmer and less anxious applicant before I knew about this forum. I had not been expecting to hear from any school before mid February, and now I can't let an hour pass without checking results or websites or e-mails.

Out of interest, and to kill the wait, I'd like to put a few questions out.

- How important is a school's location for you? Of course, it makes a huge difference whether you move to LA or to Ithaca, but what role does this play for your decisions?

- How many of aspiring political scientists have a background in another discipline? Any sociologists, anthropologists, economists, physicists, philosophers, statisticians, mathematicians, econometricians among you?

- Any Americans who applied outside the US, and who would like to take up a job abroad at some point?

(I'm aware some of these questions have been addressed elsewhere, but this forum is too quiet for the regularity I check for news.)

Hey guest,

I feel the same bittersweet way about gradcafe. I was a long time lurker and only recently began posting and this wait period is really something. But as someone who doesn't know anyone else applying to PhD programs at the moment it is really great to have others share my anxiety and see people whose thoughts you are now reasonably familiar with start getting into schools.

In terms of your questions:

In terms of location: I'm younger than most people applying to programs and would be relatively speaking ok with doing other things than getting a PhD for a couple of years so I made my list relatively narrow and location definitely factored in. That said, a couple of schools of mine are the best fit for me and aren't in the nicest metropolitan places but seemed worth it for the faculty. I also spoke to a professor of mine and he said that the school in ithaca many of us applied to, from his sources, often has one of the closest cohorts because of its relative remoteness and also that being in a place  away from a city can be very good because you will want to get out regularly. This means you will take a break which apparently is very hard to convince yourself to do when in gradschool.

I did an interdisciplinary undergrad degree with a lot of political economy. That said I want my work to draw on a lot of sociology so I'm hoping to go to a place with a strong soc program as well

- How important is a school's location for you? Of course, it makes a huge difference whether you move to LA or to Ithaca, but what role does this play for your decisions?

- How many of aspiring political scientists have a background in another discipline? Any sociologists, anthropologists, economists, physicists, philosophers, statisticians, mathematicians, econometricians among you?

- Any Americans who applied outside the US, and who would like to take up a job abroad at some point?

(I'm aware some of these questions have been addressed elsewhere, but this forum is too quiet for the regularity I check for news.)

Welcome guest2401! I figured i'd weigh in on the US vs. abroad question. I'm half American and half British, and have applied to PhD's mostly in the U.S but a few in the UK as well. Depending on my results, I might also apply to Sciences Po Paris and University of Copenhagen later on as well.

I'm fairly conflicted. I have lived in Europe (Brussels, then Paris) for the last 2 years both for work and for an MA degree, and I absolutely love it. Also on an intellectual level, its a great fit for me, both in terms of my current MA advisor (who is right in my subfield), and in its methodological openness. In particular, there seems to be much less emphasis here on econometrics and heavy-duty quant methods, which is perfect for people like me who are interested in constructivism (usually more qualitative).

On the other hand, I have at this point consulted with continental European, British, and American professors, and have been told by all of them that it is extremely difficult to get a job in the U.S with a foreign PhD. I hope that they were exaggerating, but they said that it is possible, although not easy to go from Oxford, Cambridge, or LSE into a U.S academic job, but that anything else would be nigh-on impossible. So my feeling is that a U.S PhD will give you more flexibility, allowing you good opportunities to take a job abroad afterwards if you want.  

Congrats to the Penn state admit :)

For the questions:

1. Couldn't care less about location. I'd go to Mars if it would help me get a better placement in the future. Part of this is because I haven't got a significant other right now, so I can afford to be flexible. That said, some of my top choices "happen" to be in relatively nice locations, so I might have factored it all in subconciously

2. My degree is not in Political Science. It is in a discipline very far removed from poli sci (natural sciences & my U doesn't allow double majoring). However, I'm not sure if it would be accurate to say that my "background" is in that discipline, because the major wasn't really my choice (financial reasons having to do with funding my university education). For all intensive purposes, I've invested alot more time learning poli sci than learning my actual major

Edited by Orlien

If you got admitted, how much money do you need in general to survive up to the first stipend? I know it depends on state you're in, but anyways, share your experience!

This is certainly one of my concerns. Especially if you consider the rental deposit, first month's rent, and possibly last month's rent. 

This is certainly one of my concerns. Especially if you consider the rental deposit, first month's rent, and possibly last month's rent. 

For internationals even more so, I believe. Need to get a phone plan etc. as well, and dont have credit cards yet.

For internationals even more so, I believe. Need to get a phone plan etc. as well, and dont have credit cards yet.

I'm pseudo-international right now. No US phone. I have credit cards, but I'd rather not think of them because, well... application fees are killer. ;) All my money is in Euros, so that will all have to suffer the exchange rate loss (anywhere between 4-10 cents on the Euro).

p.s. I'm not trying to one-up you. I have the advantage of having lived in the US and having a gf currently living there. Just expressing some shared concerns. :)

Edited by TakeMyCoffeeBlack

You will be fine folks, no need to fret so much, seriously. Internationals: there are options aside from phone plans that require you to pay high deposit fees (virgin mobile anyone?). The department that sponsors you can help in terms of references for rental leases. In fact, in many cases, you won't even encounter that hurdle. Obviously, you won't be very high on the food chain while living on your stipend, but you are also not doomed to "super-cheap houses, no extra expenses etc." In fact if you can be a tad careful, you can live a life that is reasonably comfortable on most stipends. Improving cooking skills a bit would definitely help :)

I'm pseudo-international right now. No US phone. I have credit cards, but I'd rather not think of them because, well... application fees are killer. ;) All my money is in Euros, so that will all have to suffer the exchange rate loss (anywhere between 4-10 cents on the Euro).

p.s. I'm not trying to one-up you. I have the advantage of having lived in the US and having a gf currently living there. Just expressing some shared concerns. :)

As a German with money in EUR, can you just put your money onto one of those German pre-paid credit card things? I tend to get the best rates (haven't tried US$) when I withdraw internationally, and generally don't loose as much in ER as I would with most other forms of capital mobility..^^

You will be fine folks, no need to fret so much, seriously. Internationals: there are options aside from phone plans that require you to pay high deposit fees (virgin mobile anyone?). The department that sponsors you can help in terms of references for rental leases. In fact, in many cases, you won't even encounter that hurdle. Obviously, you won't be very high on the food chain while living on your stipend, but you are also not doomed to "super-cheap houses, no extra expenses etc." In fact if you can be a tad careful, you can live a life that is reasonably comfortable on most stipends. Improving cooking skills a bit would definitely help :)

Right, but the concern is pre-stipend. Settling in, moving across the country (or ocean), etc.

As a German with money in EUR, can you just put your money onto one of those German pre-paid credit card things? I tend to get the best rates (haven't tried US$) when I withdraw internationally, and generally don't loose as much in ER as I would with most other forms of capital mobility..^^

Well I use DB here and they're part of the global ATM alliance with BoAmerica, so that's probably my best bet for withdrawal. I'm not sure what the exchange rate is. I know that PayPal for direct deposits was taking $.04 on every Euro (instead of $1.36 I got $1.32).

Apparently my reading comprehension skills took the Sunday off. Sorry.

Pre-stipend period can be problematic, now that I think about it. If you will live in a metropolitan area, finding a sublet for a month or so can help postpone the deposit/first-last month rent payments until you start getting paid. Though this may not work in a small / college town. Pre-paid phones can similarly curb the costs in the beginning. Credit cards may save the day if you have them, and use them responsibly. But yes, the initial period will probably require a bit of an ascetic lifestyle.

Woke up in the middle of the night thinking it was Monday morning, and in my half-asleep state, thought about checking e-mail & grad cafe, because like, UCLA results Monday (probably), except middle of the night, and time difference and all that. And then when I actually woke up, I realized that today was Sunday. Yeeeaaah...

Dear future colleagues,

[dear competitors,]

dear lurkers,

As a first time poster, let me make two remarks. First, thanks to all the posters for upholding this forum's joviality. Never have I seen pats on the back to such a degree of regularity on an internet outlet of hopes and anxieties. Well done.

Second, I was a much calmer and less anxious applicant before I knew about this forum. I had not been expecting to hear from any school before mid February, and now I can't let an hour pass without checking results or websites or e-mails.

My 2 cents on your questions:

-location is really important to me. I know that my productivity can vary dramatically depending on my overall well-being and satisfaction with where I am, so when I picked programs I almost exclusively chose places (given the fit was right) where I would be happy to finish out my 20s. When it comes to choosing a program after all decisions are in, although location will not be the deciding factor (fit, rank, and placement will be more important), it will definitely be a major consideration.

-I did my undergrad in political science and natural science, but have a masters degree in a different field and have worked in a variety of industries. I don't really consider myself a "political scientist" at the moment, but that's what I aspire to be.

-I didn't apply anywhere abroad, but wouldn't be opposed to working abroad at some point.

This isn't so much a question for campus visit as a question about campus visits, so I figured I'd put it here to keep the other thread from getting confusing: Which weeks generally tend to be the ones when schools host them? (I recall OSU asking for input on when students would prefer awhile ago?) And are they more often entirely during the week, or do they span the weekend as well?

Oops, just checked this thread for the first time today. Can claim FSU! Weirdly enough, the site was updated for me late last night. I know because I checked mid afternoon too.

Anyone know anything about Mason? I saw the one up there, but no others.

No idea about Mason, though I also applied there. At Mason I'm applying for Public Policy though, not Poli Sci, because of faculty fit.

Oops, just checked this thread for the first time today. Can claim FSU! Weirdly enough, the site was updated for me late last night. I know because I checked mid afternoon too.

congrats! super loving your username

Woke up in the middle of the night thinking it was Monday morning, and in my half-asleep state, thought about checking e-mail & grad cafe, because like, UCLA results Monday (probably), except middle of the night, and time difference and all that. And then when I actually woke up, I realized that today was Sunday. Yeeeaaah...

Ucla is the first I'm expecting to hear back from. So frightening, we may be hearing some life-changing news by this time tomorrow.