Fall 2014 Applicant Thread!

gellert

I've seen maybe two posts on the psychology results board for Maryland interviews and one for UCLA, so it's difficult not to wonder if the invites already went out. The PI for Maryland called me out of the blue on Sunday and said the committee was meeting later this week (meaning today or tomorrow), and she kind-of-maybe sounded like she was inviting me out to interview? 

Virginia and Washington are my top choices, and so far nothing on the results board. So I'm not discouraged yet!

When people on the Results Search say they "checked the website" what does this mean? I look on all of the school's pages to see if there is like a link to see who has been accepted, but I don't really understand this. Where on the websites should I be checking?

Thanks

Sometimes when admissions decisions are made, instead of contact applicants personally, school's will send applicants an email instructing them to "Check the Website." 

"Checked the Website" simply means that the applicant logged onto the graduate application portal to obtain the update/decision on their application.   

Hi CAda, I had a phone interview with a social psych prof from UCLA before they invited me for interview weekend.  They sent me an email after the phone interview inviting me out.  I assume it's typical, but I don't know if it's the rule.  Did anyone applying to non-clinical psych programs get invited to interview weekend without a phone interview?  UT Austin applicants:  do you know whether there is one interview weekend for all the non-clinical psych programs, or whether there are separate interview weekends for each program (social, cognitive, individual differences, etc)?

I've seen maybe two posts on the psychology results board for Maryland interviews and one for UCLA, so it's difficult not to wonder if the invites already went out. The PI for Maryland called me out of the blue on Sunday and said the committee was meeting later this week (meaning today or tomorrow), and she kind-of-maybe sounded like she was inviting me out to interview?

Virginia and Washington are my top choices, and so far nothing on the results board. So I'm not discouraged yet!

I work in the social psych department at UW and they haven't even touched the applications yet. They take their sweet sweet time.

Hi Everyone,

I've seen a couple of posts on the Results Search page for interviews at Columbia. If you've heard from Columbia, could you please PM me your POI and/or your area (social, cognitive, etc.)?

Thanks!

I'm getting antsy seeing so many clinical/social/cognitive/etc programs inviting people for interviews...

Any I/O people hearing things about interviews yet (specifically I/O, not OB or Management)?  Results search from past years seems to point to late January as the start of when feedback rolls out, but that is starting to seem like an eternity from now...

I just called some of the programs I applied to and this is what I found out about interview invites

UI Chicago (Social) -- end of Jan, early Feb

U Oregon (Social) -- all invites will go out by mid of next week

USC (Social) -- end of Jan/ Feb

UT Austin (Developmental) -- NOW + next couple of days 

I believe UMD - College Park  (Developmental) and UIUC (developmental) has sent out most of their interview invites, if not all, as I've seen them on the results board. 

I just called some of the programs I applied to and this is what I found out about interview invites

I believe UMD - College Park  (Developmental) and UIUC (developmental) has sent out most of their interview invites, if not all, as I've seen them on the results board. 

I'm not sure if the developmental area at Maryland has sent out invites yet. I talked to the PI on Sunday, and they said the committee wasn't meeting until later this week (so they could be meeting today). I sure hope all the invites haven't gone out!

Edited by bathingintheneon

I'm not sure if the developmental area at Maryland has sent out invites yet. I talked to the PI on Sunday, and they said the committee wasn't meeting until later this week (so they could be meeting today). I sure hope all the invites haven't gone out!

Right! Sorry I meant it was the invite for a Skype interview, and then I think after that they have another round of in-person interview, and the invites for the in-person interview has not gone out yet. 

On 1/10/2014 at 10:26 AM, tingski said:

Hi Tingski,

when you say USC are you talking about university of southern california or university of south carolina? If California, was your deadline for the social psych program Dec 1st? I applied to the clinical program and I am trying to figure out if they would be sending out invitations at the same time as the social program. 

Cheers

University of Southern California. My deadline was Dec 1st, but it seems that in a lot of schools the clinical program sends out invites earlier than the non-clinical programs. Might be better to call the school and ask them to be sure :) 

University of Southern California. My deadline was Dec 1st, but it seems that in a lot of schools the clinical program sends out invites earlier than the non-clinical programs. Might be better to call the school and ask them to be sure :)

Thanks. Just spoke with the Graduate Advisor to see if the invitations for the clinical program had been extended yet. She said that to her knowledge they hadn't been sent out yet and that she suspected that it was still a bit early, but she did not give me a date.

Seems like almost all of the interview weekends are Feb 7-9 or around then. Anyone else concerned about how they're going to schedule multiple interviews?

I have this problem. I accepted the interview at my higher priority school and then asked the other school if I could reschedule. So far everyone has been really receptive and supportive of that decision.

Seems like almost all of the interview weekends are Feb 7-9 or around then.  Anyone else concerned about how they're going to schedule multiple interviews?

I accepted the interview at the first school that extended me an invite, and explained to the second school that I had already accepted another interview on that date. They were very accommodating and I've set up a different date for the second interview. Granted, the first interview was at a higher priority school so I'm not sure if I would have tried to reschedule if it was the other way around.

I'M DONE APPLYING! Finally. :) 

Best of luck to everyone finishing up apps out there, the end is in sight!

Side note -- do not look back through previously submitted SOPs. I've already found two typos (how in the heck did I miss those?!).

Hi, Social Construction!

May I know which schools released results already? Thank you!