Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Just wondering does anyone else's MyFile still say no decision yet (for York 2 year msw)?

Yup! My still says it and i still have yet to receive any news . I figure they are still trying to send out rejection letters.

Yup! My still says it and i still have yet to receive any news . I figure they are still trying to send out rejection letters.

Yeah I guess so I just found it odd that some people's myfile shows that they have been rejected. 

Does anyone know how many people are generally on waitlng list? I have applied to windsor and the HBSW program at lakehead and I am on waitlist for both. 

I agree that 2 years is too long for a post grad BSW. That's why Lakehead's 12 month program is a great option. There is also a 15 month program in New Brunswick (I can't seem to remember the name of the school at the moment however). Apparently U of Waterloo offers a 12 month program too.

Thank you so much for your response! I didn't know about the program at Waterloo. I will look into that. 

I am currently doing my BSW at University of Waterloo and it is highly regarded.  You do have to have some specific pre-requisite courses but you can contact the school to see if your previous courses are suitable.  It is 1 yr BSW, you do 8 courses over 3 semesters (Sept-Dec, Jan-April, April-June) and a practicum 3 days a week the entire length of the program.  Our program has a very high acceptance rate this year at MSW programs so I think it is a respected program in the field.

Thank you so much for responding! I am going to call the school tomorrow to see if I qualify for this program. Do you know if it is highly competitive (i.e. how many apply/how many get accepted)?

For those of you considering the BSW route, just wanted to let you know that University of Manitoba has an online BSW program.

The BSW program at UM is 123 credits total. Of those, 72 credits are completed in your core social work classes and two, 420 hour field placements. If you already have a 4 year degree, you would probably get all of your electives as transfer credit, which is 51 credits in total. Of these, you must do a 3 credit math and a 3 credit english course. This is my first degree, and I have completed 75 credits (I was short one elective for transfer credit) in 6 terms over 24 months. I probably could have completed it in 4 terms, 16 months, but I also worked and had to accomodate the field placement.

Just thought I would share this option. Good luck to everyone in our 'waiting game'...

P.S. Always interested in any updates on the waitlist situations at York MSW Advanced Standing and Ryerson MSW. Thx

Edited by m7238

I've been waitlisted for the UofT 2yr MSW. I'm going to accept the York U offer as I really like their anti-oppersion and marginalization stance. 

Congrats superanxious! York's funding packages are always great. Sounds like you got a really good opportunity. :)

I've been waitlisted for the UofT 2yr MSW. I'm going to accept the York U offer as I really like their anti-oppersion and marginalization stance. 

Hey superanxious, congrats on the acceptance! Does your MyFile say reviewed successful or anything? 

I really hate being in this no decision yet limbo -.- lol 

I agree that 2 years is too long for a post grad BSW. That's why Lakehead's 12 month program is a great option. There is also a 15 month program in New Brunswick (I can't seem to remember the name of the school at the moment however). Apparently U of Waterloo offers a 12 month program too.

Waterloo works only if you have 10 pre-requisit courses...so if you don't have the courses that's a 2 year program.  If you do then that works.

All the best.

Actually University of Waterloo's BSW is 10 months (September-June)

Hi, just wondering whether you needed 10 pre-requisite social work courses when applying to U of Waterloo, because I might consider applying to B.S.W one year at Waterloo, following your advice.  Thank you for sharing information

I just received my letter from U of T and I was put on a Wait-List. I am not holding my hopes up too much, but at least I know that with improvements to my application and extra experiences I have an even better chance when I re-apply. 

I heard some say that they've sent it their updated resumes during the waiting period. Should I send in an updated personal statement too?

Congratulations to everyone who got in!