Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Thank you Jenste for your reply. I'm entering my last year of my undergrad, I plan to take a year off to volunteer to rack up more hours related to the social work field then apply to the one year masters program at Lakehead because I heard that you can acquire 1,0000 hours from the practium placements offered there. So it would be hard to find a job in toronto in social work after graduation? So I suppose finding a job outside of toronto would be much easier..? such as in waterloo maybe? For the MSW program how hard is it to maintain a good average, I believe you need to have a B in every course in the MSW to be in good standing in the program?

No, Waterloo is not a good place for a new grad to find work. It's hard enough to find internships for so many social work students, let alone paid employment. The area is saturated with social work students and new grads every April. The trend is for new grads to take on multiple part time jobs or contracts in the early years. After a few years of experience it becomes easier to find permanent full time employment. There is a lot of well paid employment in Northern indigenous communities for new grads. Alberta also has a great job market and I've heard there's a shortage of MSW's in BC (to the point that sometimes BSW's are hired instead).

Hi soapaddict,

I can't comment on all the questions you're raised but I'll answer what I can. U of T is more research based and also has an excellent reputation in training qualified social workers. I'm not sure what the employment stats are for U of T but something to consider is that if grads aren't willing to leave the Toronto area this could impact post-grad employment rates. I've heard that many job offers in Toronto require at least of couple of years of full time social work experience which would make it difficult to find employment in the area immediately after graduation, if this is actually true. (A quick search on a couple of job boards would confirm whether or not this fact I've heard is true).

I don't want to burst your bubble, but if you don't have a lot of volunteer or work experience it will be very difficult to get into Laurier. You need a minimum of the equivalent of 2 years of full time experience in a related field to be a competitive candidate. U of T is a good option for students with little professional experience and strong academic performance. Out of all the 2 year MSW programs, I would wager that U of T is the most forgiving of people coming up short on the number of work hours (at least from what I've heard on this site and through other people who have been accepted and refused). Windsor is a generalist program (they gear their focus on the interests of the incoming class) but it can be a good back up option. One thing good about this program is that they seem to go through a lot of people on the wait list. For this reason, I get the impression that Windsor tends to be a back up plan for a good number of applicants (perhaps because of geographic reasons??). Far more people get called off the wait list at Windsor than Toronto.

Personally, I'd apply to all the programs you are interested in if application fees aren't a problem for you. Better to give it your best shot and see what happens than to wonder what if and not give it a try. But if fees are an issue, I'd wait until you have at least 3000-3500 hours of experience before applying to Laurier because they like to pick students with lots of experience.          

Hi guys, I've been following this thread for a couple of days now. I was wondering about the MSW programs.I'm interested in clinical social work and working with children and families in a hospital and counselling centre. I heard that UofT program is more researched based and that Laurier's MSW program has a higher percentage of finding a job after graduation, also that York's program is more community social work. As well Windsor's program is more generic. Does anyone know if this is true?For anyone in the MSW program at Laurier, UofT, York, Windsor.. the average you need to maintain in the program I heard is a B in every course, realistically how hard is that to obtain? Also I am considering doing the HBSW program at Lakehead because I don't have a lot of volunteer experience linked to social work, and i'm a sociology major. Does anyone know if this program is good? Is it hard to keep up in the program?

Hi there!

Hope you don't mind me joining in on the conversation, but this website might be helpful to you when looking at job prospects by province/region/city. You can search by job, wages, education etc... Hope this helps!

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/home-eng.do?lang=eng

Hey all, congratulations again to all those who have since been accepted!

Just curious if anyone on the Lakehead waitlist knows when they might send out their second round of offers? I believe the letter said that around May 16th Sonya would email us to let us know how many, or if any spots had opened up - however she didn't seem to mention if the offers would come at this time as well?

I'm just trying to make some solid plans for the near future and finding it rather difficult!

Heya! To anyone waiting to hear from Ottawa U's social work program, I got a phone message this morning that I was accepted, and that I should be expecting my offer of admission via email in the next couple of days, so you'll likely hear back soon! I'M SO EXCITED!!!!  

Hey to anyone who applied to the Windsor MSW for working professionals, I just got accepted today via the Windsor portal (myuwindsor)!!!  They received my application on April 2nd and I applied to the Oshawa campus. 

Congrats!  And a three week turnaround isn't so bad, either!

Hey to anyone who applied to the Windsor MSW for working professionals, I just got accepted today via the Windsor portal (myuwindsor)!!!  They received my application on April 2nd and I applied to the Oshawa campus. 

Hey all, congratulations again to all those who have since been accepted!

Just curious if anyone on the Lakehead waitlist knows when they might send out their second round of offers? I believe the letter said that around May 16th Sonya would email us to let us know how many, or if any spots had opened up - however she didn't seem to mention if the offers would come at this time as well?

I'm just trying to make some solid plans for the near future and finding it rather difficult!

Since they have to review everyone on the waitlist again, I would assume that even though the waitlist opens April 28, it would take time to determine who to accept... I'm hoping it's before May 16th though. It makes me uneasy knowing we could get a call in June if someone else drops out. I've applied to numerous summer jobs and i would feel like such a dick if I had to back out last minute. It also makes planning a vacation hard :( 

On a more positive note, I'm sure the time will fly though and hopefully we both get in! 

Congrats!  And a three week turnaround isn't so bad, either!

Thank you!  Yes they seem to be processing applications at quite a pace.  Best of luck to you as well!  

Hey everyone,

I just confirmed my acceptance to Ryerson! Got the letter last week. Still hoping to hear from U of T (advanced standing) at the end of the month so I have some options, but I'm still really happy about Ryerson. Does anyone know much about their program? I only know what I could find online which isn't much. I'm really interested in what kind of placements they usually get for their students. If anyone has info, let me know! Thanks :)

Hey everyone,

I just confirmed my acceptance to Ryerson! Got the letter last week. Still hoping to hear from U of T (advanced standing) at the end of the month so I have some options, but I'm still really happy about Ryerson. Does anyone know much about their program? I only know what I could find online which isn't much. I'm really interested in what kind of placements they usually get for their students. If anyone has info, let me know! Thanks :)

I'm on the waitlist at UofT and I'm going stir crazy. Why do you suspect you will hear at the end of the month?

Congratulations on Ryerson! My friend went there. She had a placement in a hospice. She loved the program.

Edited by Crochet

Congratulations!!!

Thank you! 

Hey Morgan,

So they received my application on April 16th - when i login to myuwindsor it doesn't show that they have received any of my stuff, two weeks later!  Did you have the same issue?

Hey Morgan,

So they received my application on April 16th - when i login to myuwindsor it doesn't show that they have received any of my stuff, two weeks later!  Did you have the same issue?

Hi there

I just actually found out about the UWindsor login on the 21st of April so I wasn't checking it prior to this time.  When I logged in at this time, they had received my application, but it was not showing they had received any documents other than my transcripts.  When my status changed to accepted, they listed all documents only at this time.  Hope this helps! 

Hi there

I just actually found out about the UWindsor login on the 21st of April so I wasn't checking it prior to this time.  When I logged in at this time, they had received my application, but it was not showing they had received any documents other than my transcripts.  When my status changed to accepted, they listed all documents only at this time.  Hope this helps!

AHHH the suspense!!! If history repeats I should hear an answer in a week or so.

I've been obsessively logging into to my uwindsor and I can't stop :(