Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Hi everyone! I just noticed that the status on my "My Windsor" changed to "Accepted Final." I haven't received any mail or emails from them though. Does this online status change mean that I'm accepted?!

Thanks!

im sure it does!!!!!!!! CONGRATS :) Guess we were part of the 'third' wave of acceptance?  I'm still not going to believe it until I get a letter in the mail :-P

Tried logging in to my UWindsor account and keep getting this message:

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request POST /m/student_forgotten_reset/forgot.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

Anyone else having this issue?

Tried logging in to my UWindsor account and keep getting this message:

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

The proxy server could not handle the request POST /m/student_forgotten_reset/forgot.

Reason: Error reading from remote server

Anyone else having this issue?

I was having that issue when I tried to register the first time (thru my iPhone then again with my iPad). I went to a computer to register and it worked. I'd give it some time then try again.

My problem is I've applied to MSW for working professionals but the program listed in my uwindsor is the 32 month MSW. I'm hoping that will change once they actually go through my application. Weird.

Edited by mirah56

I was having that issue when I tried to register the first time (thru my iPhone then again with my iPad). I went to a computer to register and it worked. I'd give it some time then try again.

My problem is I've applied to MSW for working professionals but the program listed in my uwindsor is the 32 month MSW. I'm hoping that will change once they actually go through my application. Weird.

That is weird. I registered over a month ago and last logged in about a week ago with no issues. I'll try tomorrow. Thanks for responding and best of luck!

That is weird. I registered over a month ago and last logged in about a week ago with no issues. I'll try tomorrow. Thanks for responding and best of luck!

hmm that's strange that you're having a problem logging in.. I was able to check my MyWindsor the same way that TS28 described-- I went to my.uwindsor.ca and I used the login info that I was sent in an email a while ago. I think it's a good idea to try again tomorrow, and maybe you can try using a different browser and see if that changes anything? Perhaps that'll make a difference-- I'm not sure!

im sure it does!!!!!!!! CONGRATS :) Guess we were part of the 'third' wave of acceptance?  I'm still not going to believe it until I get a letter in the mail :-P

Thank you!!! Congrats to you too!! :) & I totally get what you mean-- I don't want to jump ahead of myself before getting an actual letter in the mail!

Are you planning on accepting the Windsor offer (once you officially receive a letter/email, etc)?

Thank you!!! Congrats to you too!! :) & I totally get what you mean-- I don't want to jump ahead of myself before getting an actual letter in the mail!

Are you planning on accepting the Windsor offer (once you officially receive a letter/email, etc)?

I will accept it for sure, but I am awaiting an answer from Ottawa U and others also, but if Ottawa says yes, I prefer going there as my first language is french.  However, not sure what are the main differences between the two schools, I read that Windsor is more research oriented.  Ottawa was supposed to give us an answer two months ago, and then postponed the application date to 1st april, not sure why they did this.  Anyways, I didn't think I was going to get into any school...so I feel very grateful at this moment. I have a different background and not the highest undergrad GPA, but I guess my letters of recommendation and personal statement were convincing enough?!! And apartments in Windsor region are so much cheaper and there seems to be many placements opportunities there also, so yes for now I am going to accept Windsor as soon as I get the letter this week!! I also accepted an offer for the dist BSW from UVic, so I spot will be free soon for anyone who applied to UVic's dist BSW :) :)   

Edited by TS28

Hey guys just wanted to check in and see if anyone has heard from York's 2 year about applications, the waiting is becoming torture especially if I end up rejected after all this time waiting

The 32 month program is the MSW program for working professionals :)  

Mine also says that, even though I applied for the avanced track 16 month option.  It also says it doesn't have any of my application apart from my supplementary application and transcripts, even though I can see on Canada Post's website that UWindsor got my application last Tuesday.  Good luck!

Hi everyone!

I thought I'd introduce myself!  I've been reading as a guest on here for awhile and thank everyone for sharing their experiences online.  I decided to join in the fun while I'm waiting for UWindsor's MSWwp program to get back to me on my admission!  I applied for UofT's part time advanced standing MSW but got rejected back in March.  I heard the program only admits about 15 students so I guess it was a long shot to begin with.  I learned about the MSWwp program shortly after and hustled to get my application in before the May 1st deadline.  I sent everything last Monday and it arrived in Windsor by Tuesday - now to begin the wait to see if i'm accepted. 

I am happy to learn some of you have been granted acceptance provided you take the research course UWindsor has to offer.  My social work research grade wasn't the best (B-... most schools want a B+ or higher) due to several big group assignments and people slacking off and I feel like they might give me a chance to redeem myself by taking that one, worse comes to worse!  Has anyone actually be rejected from MSWwp? 

Hey everyone, checked my myfile for the 2 year MSW at York a few minutes ago

I was rejected :(

Oh no!  I am sorry to hear this news.  Very disappointing to get rejected.  Hope you get off the wait-list at U of T!  Best of luck to you!

anyone received from Simon fraser, York, or McMaster University MS Computer Science program?

I am applying for MS thesis-based program...

I only got an admission from Dalhousie MACS. However, at the beginning, I was applied for MCS(included funding), which they turn me into 1-year project MACS program without funding :(.

Just saw SFU have released few admission to others which shown in thegradcafe result..

This is a thread for people applying for MSW (Masters of Social Work) so you'd be better to ask on the main board.  Good luck!

anyone received from Simon fraser, York, or McMaster University MS Computer Science program?

I am applying for MS thesis-based program...

I only got an admission from Dalhousie MACS. However, at the beginning, I was applied for MCS(included funding), which they turn me into 1-year project MACS program without funding :(.

Just saw SFU have released few admission to others which shown in thegradcafe result..

Hey everyone :) New here. I love that this forum exists - it's been so helpful and informative to read all the comments on here. I've been waitlisted for University of Toronto (eep so close), rejected from Laurier and I'm still waiting to hear back from York. I hear they're notoriously late compared to everyone else, but I see some people have heard back from York. Is it a bad sign I haven't? Lol I check myfile probably every hour now anxiously waiting for something.

Hi everyone.

Did anyone recieve their funding package from York U for the 2yr MSW? I received the acceptance package almost two weeks ago but I still havent received the funding information yet.

Superanxious, in the acceptance email they sent me, they wrote how much my funding package would be. Did they write it for you as well? I haven't received any additional info about the funding package though (no mail or emails).

Hi Psychologystudent101, the acceptance email did say the minimum amount i would receive, but on the phone they said to wait for the funding mail to see if it would be more. Im just calculating my expenses and considering how much I need to save before I move to Toronto. I guess those letters havent been sent out yet. 

Hi Psychologystudent101, the acceptance email did say the minimum amount i would receive, but on the phone they said to wait for the funding mail to see if it would be more. Im just calculating my expenses and considering how much I need to save before I move to Toronto. I guess those letters havent been sent out yet.

Yeah, I guess they haven't sent out the official funding packages yet. I did receive the admission package about two weeks ago also (same as you!) Are you planning on attending York for sure, or are you waiting on other universities?

Yeah, I guess they haven't sent out the official funding packages yet. I did receive the admission package about two weeks ago also (same as you!) Are you planning on attending York for sure, or are you waiting on other universities?

I officially decided on York :) How about you? 

Hi guys, I've been following this thread for a couple of days now. I was wondering about the MSW programs.I'm interested in clinical social work and working with children and families in a hospital and counselling centre. I heard that UofT program is more researched based and that Laurier's MSW program has a higher percentage of finding a job after graduation, also that York's program is more community social work. As well Windsor's program is more generic. Does anyone know if this is true?For anyone in the MSW program at Laurier, UofT, York, Windsor.. the average you need to maintain in the program I heard is a B in every course, realistically how hard is that to obtain? Also I am considering doing the HBSW program at Lakehead because I don't have a lot of volunteer experience linked to social work, and i'm a sociology major. Does anyone know if this program is good? Is it hard to keep up in the program?

I officially decided on York :) How about you?

I decided on York as well! I am wait listed at u of t right now, so if I were to get an acceptance there, it'd be tough to give up that u of t spot; however, I think that overall york's funding package and critical perspective makes it more enticing to choose York personally. I'm super excited to start their msw program!!

Hi guys, I've been following this thread for a couple of days now. I was wondering about the MSW programs.I'm interested in clinical social work and working with children and families in a hospital and counselling centre. I heard that UofT program is more researched based and that Laurier's MSW program has a higher percentage of finding a job after graduation, also that York's program is more community social work. As well Windsor's program is more generic. Does anyone know if this is true?For anyone in the MSW program at Laurier, UofT, York, Windsor.. the average you need to maintain in the program I heard is a B in every course, realistically how hard is that to obtain? Also I am considering doing the HBSW program at Lakehead because I don't have a lot of volunteer experience linked to social work, and i'm a sociology major. Does anyone know if this program is good? Is it hard to keep up in the program?

Hi soapaddict,

I can't comment on all the questions you're raised but I'll answer what I can. U of T is more research based and also has an excellent reputation in training qualified social workers. I'm not sure what the employment stats are for U of T but something to consider is that if grads aren't willing to leave the Toronto area this could impact post-grad employment rates. I've heard that many job offers in Toronto require at least of couple of years of full time social work experience which would make it difficult to find employment in the area immediately after graduation, if this is actually true. (A quick search on a couple of job boards would confirm whether or not this fact I've heard is true).

I don't want to burst your bubble, but if you don't have a lot of volunteer or work experience it will be very difficult to get into Laurier. You need a minimum of the equivalent of 2 years of full time experience in a related field to be a competitive candidate. U of T is a good option for students with little professional experience and strong academic performance. Out of all the 2 year MSW programs, I would wager that U of T is the most forgiving of people coming up short on the number of work hours (at least from what I've heard on this site and through other people who have been accepted and refused). Windsor is a generalist program (they gear their focus on the interests of the incoming class) but it can be a good back up option. One thing good about this program is that they seem to go through a lot of people on the wait list. For this reason, I get the impression that Windsor tends to be a back up plan for a good number of applicants (perhaps because of geographic reasons??). Far more people get called off the wait list at Windsor than Toronto.

Personally, I'd apply to all the programs you are interested in if application fees aren't a problem for you. Better to give it your best shot and see what happens than to wonder what if and not give it a try. But if fees are an issue, I'd wait until you have at least 3000-3500 hours of experience before applying to Laurier because they like to pick students with lots of experience.