Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

Hi There! Which stream at U of C did you get accepted to? Congrats on your acceptance and good luck with U of T as well.

Hi! I got accepted to the clinical social work stream.  To move out west is a difficult decision for me, so as much as I am happy for the acceptance I am hoping that I will get into a school in Ontario. **fingers crossed**

Are you on the wait list?

I second this THANK YOU, I'll stop checking my email every 5 minutes now. :)

I really don't like this "IF there are any openings" thing. Ugh. Hope is dwindling. Didn't people have to respond by May 8th or something? Weird.

I can relate to the checking your e-mail every 5 minutes, haha.  Only now I find I'm also checking this forum to see if anyone has heard anything, glad we can take a break until next week (though also moderately stressed)

Thank you so much for this information, very nice to know there is still a possibility. I'm just wondering for those of you on the wait list what have you been doing while in this limbo? Is anyone going to reapply in the Fall if they don't get in?

I did just get accepted off a wait-list, but while I was still in limbo I was definitely focussing on doing more volunteering, possibly taking some courses related to social work, and reapplying next fall.  I was also considering getting some sort of a degree in education since I had been accepted into those programs.

Hey there:)  just wondering how you know UofT is sending acceptances at the end of May?

Hey I emailed Angela about it a while ago and she said the earliest acceptances off the wait list would be at the end of May.

Anyone has news about McGill?

May is up to end and my application status has remained  as "In review".

Is there anyone waiting too?? or Am I the only one??

Time goes by, that's not fair at all.

I'm in the same boat for U Windsor's 2 year program :( My status still just says "Referred to Department." I'm unsure if McGill's process is similar, but for Windsor they send out their first 30 acceptance offers and if the applicants decline or say don't respond within 2 weeks the offer goes to the next person in sequence until the program is filled. So, if you're not the first 30 you're on a wait list, but also not on a wait list.. ? I'm worried that I'll be waiting all summer for nothing. It's pretty disheartening, but in the meantime I am taking a Stats course because I'll need the credit should I get that accepted status (fingers crossed!), and continue volunteering in case it turns out I need to re-apply. I just hope to hear something (acceptance or even just learning that the program is full) by August. 

Your user description says M.Eng Mining - just wanted to let you know that this is a thread for the MSW (masters of social work) wait-list, so I'm not sure if this is the thread you were looking for.  Either way good luck with your application!

Long time lurker first time poster.....I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about U of C, it seems many of you have applied to programs out east.  I am on the wait list, but am curious to know how many students they usually accept into the advanced clinical stream and if any one has any insight into the movement on the wait list.  Just trying to figure out my next steps based on the likely hood of getting in.....thanks for any input you may have and congrats to those of you that have been accepted.

Long time lurker first time poster.....I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about U of C, it seems many of you have applied to programs out east.  I am on the wait list, but am curious to know how many students they usually accept into the advanced clinical stream and if any one has any insight into the movement on the wait list.  Just trying to figure out my next steps based on the likely hood of getting in.....thanks for any input you may have and congrats to those of you that have been accepted.

I got accepted off of the wait-list for the two year program at UofC last week - they notified me by e-mail.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about the advanced stream program.

Just to let everyone know that it is still possible to get a scholarship if you are accepted to York's MSW Advanced Standing from the wait-list. I just found out I will be receiving $9,000 funding plus a $6,000 academic scholarship, for a total funding package of $15,000. Good luck to all those waiting. I know how hard it is and I am proof that being wait-listed and/or rejected from programs does not mean you won't get into a great MSW program. All the best!

I got accepted off of the wait-list for the two year program at UofC last week - they notified me by e-mail.  Unfortunately I don't know anything about the advanced stream program.

Thanks for your reply and congrats on your acceptance.  I know you posted earlier that you were unsure about the program, from everything I have heard U of C has an excellent program - one aspect that I like about their program is they are known to bring in a lot of sessional instructors which provides exposure to learning from people working in the field and with a broad range of experiences.  That said, I understand that making the move is a difficult choice and comes with its own challenges.

Thanks for your reply and congrats on your acceptance.  I know you posted earlier that you were unsure about the program, from everything I have heard U of C has an excellent program - one aspect that I like about their program is they are known to bring in a lot of sessional instructors which provides exposure to learning from people working in the field and with a broad range of experiences.  That said, I understand that making the move is a difficult choice and comes with its own challenges.

Thank you for your congrats and your support!  My biggest concern is the ability to move back out east when I am finished with the program.  I also have an acceptance to an education program - I am very itnerseted in workshop development so I'm not sure if it would benefit me to have it, or if I could supplement that education elsewhere

Best of luck for your own acceptances.

Thank you for your congrats and your support!  My biggest concern is the ability to move back out east when I am finished with the program.  I also have an acceptance to an education program - I am very itnerseted in workshop development so I'm not sure if it would benefit me to have it, or if I could supplement that education elsewhere

Best of luck for your own acceptances.

I just found out I got accepted!!  If you choose U of C I look forward to meeting you in September!  For others in wait list limbo - keep holding out hope you never know when you might get that email!!

One person has posted in the results section that they were accepted by phone at U of T on May 27th.

It seems a lot less applicants are getting off the wait list this year. 

One person has posted in the results section that they were accepted by phone at U of T on May 27th.

It seems a lot less applicants are getting off the wait list this year. 

I just called Angela - can I say she is so lovely - and she told me that the selection committee is meeting this week and as people are selected they will be contacted.  So there is no hard firm date (boo) and it looks like if people are selected it may even be next week.   I also asked how many people are on the wait list and she said they will not disclose that.

Personally I am moving my "I am not holdng to hope" date until the end of next week - last year the wait list bearly budged after June.  But after that I have to let this go and move on...even though I don't like the situation I am moving on to.  

I'm so happy to have this forum.

I just called Angela - can I say she is so lovely - and she told me that the selection committee is meeting this week and as people are selected they will be contacted.  So there is no hard firm date (boo) and it looks like if people are selected it may even be next week.   I also asked how many people are on the wait list and she said they will not disclose that.

Personally I am moving my "I am not holdng to hope" date until the end of next week - last year the wait list bearly budged after June.  But after that I have to let this go and move on...even though I don't like the situation I am moving on to.  

In my experience of bureaucracy meeting "this week" means the middle of next week, but I'll hold out hope.

Thank you so much for checking! My slight insanity in this waiting will have to go on, but at least we have some info.  Do you know if she was walking about for the advanced standing or 2 year program?

I'm also happy to have this forum, we can all commiserate :P

Edited by LetsPlayHungryHungryHippos

In my experience of bureaucracy meeting "this week" means the middle of next week, but I'll hold out hope.

Thank you so much for checking! My slight insanity in this waiting will have to go on, but at least we have some info.  Do you know if she was walking about for the advanced standing or 2 year program?

I'm also happy to have this forum, we can all commiserate :P

It was the 2 year program I asked about, but from the sounds of it the advanced standing is a similar timeline. 

Fingers crossed.

It was the 2 year program I asked about, but from the sounds of it the advanced standing is a similar timeline.

Fingers crossed.

I'm so happy I have all of you. Being patient is something I'm not good at.

I'm slowly losing my marbles......but thanks for the info! :)

I'm slowly losing my marbles......but thanks for the info! :)

I second this statement lol, it is torture holding onto this tiny little glimmer of hope. I got a job this week that should help with re-applying next year though so that's something lol :) 

I just got a call from Angela (U of T) today informing me I've been accepted off the wait list! Good luck to all those still waiting! 

Edited by dgood