Canadian Universities MSW. The waiting game 2014 admissions

AccioMSW

C

Congratulations!!!  sounds like you deserve it. 

Thank you! So excited for September. I have certainly worked really hard for many years. Looking forward to meeting all the UofTers.

This board has been an amazing support and venting place these past few months. For those still waiting - keep the faith. 

I hear you.  I have a B+ (but more recently I took some 200 level courses with A's)  and an undergrad in Business (absoluntely not relevent) and some volunteering and more relevent personal experience.  I recommend contacting Angela and asking if you can speak with someone about your applicaton, though typically they make you wait until after classes start in the fall.  I did get to talk on the phone with someone who told me I had a good application, my grades were good and the only way she would improve it is to change one of my references and get a bit more volunteering.   So I thought I was a shoe in this year, as I am now facilitating peer support groups at BFO as well continuing my work with Hospice Toronto.   But now I am sitting here wait listed again.  What can you do, but refocus and apply again next year. 

That sounds cool, how exactly did you get feedback on your application?  Did you call Angela in the fall and ask to speak with someone?

That sounds cool, how exactly did you get feedback on your application?  Did you call Angela in the fall and ask to speak with someone?

I sent Angela an email and she set me up with the director of admissions...whose name absolutely escapes me, but I'm sure it will be the same person.  She took a look at my application and then called me with her comments.  She did give me a lot of hope, but the competition is so steep.  Not sure what more I can do but quit my job and volunteer full time.

Congrats to everyone who got into UofT yesterday! Must've been surreal to get that call :o

Experience is a huge thing, and I'm disappointed I didn't look for social service jobs while in University. I recently started working at a halfway house and homeless shelter (both pt) and I'm heading to Lakehead in July...I hope with this extra experience I'll have greater chances down the road. 

Speaking of which, a group has been made for Lakehead - Orillia on FB if any of you happen to see this :)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/413302472145054

Edited by jaylynn

Hey everyone

Does anyone know about the waitlist for York and Ryerson for their advance standing MSW program? I am guessing by now all the spots are full and the waitlist isn't really moving anywhere...

Well, at least the waiting is over. Notified this morning that I wasn't admitted the Windsor's Masters of Social Work program. While I am extremely sad and a little disappointed, at least I know. I do plan on applying again, as well as looking in to other options, and in the mean time increase my experience. I know I want to work with people, and this little bump in the road won't stop me. Thanks for the support, everyone. Good luck to those still waiting, congrats to those who were accepted, and to those who didn't get in: try, try again! If this is something you are passionate about, you will do it by any means. Good luck <3

Congrats to everyone who got in ! :) I'm currently still on the waitlist for U of T's 2 year MSW and I've kind of given up for this year - but reapplying in the fall. I was just wondering if anyone in here, who didn't make it their first try either, had any advice on reapplying and getting ready for the next set of applications. I've tried to contact York to see what I could have done better/differently to enhance my application - but from what I've read, it might be too early to do that?

Congrats to everyone who got in ! :) I'm currently still on the waitlist for U of T's 2 year MSW and I've kind of given up for this year - but reapplying in the fall. I was just wondering if anyone in here, who didn't make it their first try either, had any advice on reapplying and getting ready for the next set of applications. I've tried to contact York to see what I could have done better/differently to enhance my application - but from what I've read, it might be too early to do that?

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you I'd love to hear an answer from someone whose applied twice (or more) and gotten in.

Also, if it interests you Angela told me to contact Ramona at UofT for information about my individual file and what to improve on for the following round of applications. 

best of luck:) 

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted at York and Ryerson for the MSW programs, which school would be better? any thoughts!??

Congratulations!! That's really exciting. Sorry to say I can't be much help, as I don't know what program is better!

I'm looking to apply for Sept 2015 and am wondering if you could share what kind of previous volunteer/employment experience you had?? I'm trying to gauge whether my experience is relevant enough, based on others...

I know this totally didn't answer your question - Congrats and best of luck with the decision

I was accepted at York and Ryerson for the MSW programs, which school would be better? any thoughts!??

That is a subjective answer. It depends on what you are looking for in a school. What are your priorities and career goals? Did you get any funding packages? Does location matter to you?

I know I would take Ryerson as it's downtown, has easy access to services, it has a good sized campus, and it has a good reputation as a polytechnic university. I find that the York campus is too huge for my tastes, it's in a suburban area and it's near Jane and Finch, an area with a reputation for not being safe. Administration at York seems to be not so efficient either, from what I've heard.

But York tends to have good funding packages.. so it's hard to say more based on the limited info you've given in your post.

Edited by jenste

Congratulations!! That's really exciting. Sorry to say I can't be much help, as I don't know what program is better!

I'm looking to apply for Sept 2015 and am wondering if you could share what kind of previous volunteer/employment experience you had?? I'm trying to gauge whether my experience is relevant enough, based on others...

I know this totally didn't answer your question - Congrats and best of luck with the decision

Thank you!!! I completed my BSW at McMaster and when I completed this I was hired at CCAS. I have about 3 1/2 years of work experience. I volunteered with children at risk, like a mentoring program when I was completing my BSW. I also added in my placement experience. Also pertaining to the essay I focused on a lot of the challenges in the system such as wait list, mental health and addictions. I hope this helps, if you have any further questions just ask me! :)

That is a subjective answer. It depends on what you are looking for in a school. What are your priorities and career goals? Did you get any funding packages? Does location matter to you?

I know I would take Ryerson as it's downtown, has easy access to services, it has a good sized campus, and it has a good reputation as a polytechnic university. I find that the York campus is too huge for my tastes, it's in a suburban area and it's near Jane and Finch, an area with a reputation for not being safe. Administration at York seems to be not so efficient either, from what I've heard.

But York tends to have good funding packages.. so it's hard to say more based on the limited info you've given in your post.

Thank you so much for your help! I hear a lot of things about the area for York which makes me unsure, I ended up going with Ryerson, thank you!

samn99,

I would disagree (somewhat) with Jenste regarding the safety differences between York and Ryerson.  Ryerson is downtown and a pretty awesome campus if you love city life, but I would not say it is exceptionally safe.  People are regularly assaulted in the area and occasionally on campus as well since anyone can walk into a building (and do).  There are also lots of thefts of personal belongings so you really have to be vigilant.   York has different issues. The campus is so sparse (personally, I hate it) and you may not necessarily feel safe walking around at night, especially alone.  This has nothing to do with being 'near' jane and finch, it is just the campus itself.

But having said that, at the end of the day, you will have an MSW no matter where you go.  If you are really into anti-oppression and grassroots activism, I would say choose Ryerson because no school is better at this than they are.  If you are more interested in social justice, choose York.   

edit: I see you went with Ryerson, good choice :)

Edited by MSW13

samn99,

I would disagree (somewhat) with Jenste regarding the safety differences between York and Ryerson.  Ryerson is downtown and a pretty awesome campus if you love city life, but I would not say it is exceptionally safe.  People are regularly assaulted in the area and occasionally on campus as well since anyone can walk into a building (and do).  There are also lots of thefts of personal belongings so you really have to be vigilant.   York has different issues. The campus is so sparse (personally, I hate it) and you may not necessarily feel safe walking around at night, especially alone.  This has nothing to do with being 'near' jane and finch, it is just the campus itself.

But having said that, at the end of the day, you will have an MSW no matter where you go.  If you are really into anti-oppression and grassroots activism, I would say choose Ryerson because no school is better at this than they are.  If you are more interested in social justice, choose York.   

edit: I see you went with Ryerson, good choice :)

Thank you so much for your feedback that was really helpful!!

samn99,

I would disagree (somewhat) with Jenste regarding the safety differences between York and Ryerson.  Ryerson is downtown and a pretty awesome campus if you love city life, but I would not say it is exceptionally safe.  People are regularly assaulted in the area and occasionally on campus as well since anyone can walk into a building (and do). 

I don't know much about Ryerson. So I can't comment on safety, which is why I didn't. (But I did comment on the neighbourhood that York U is located in). :)

I took a workshop at Ryerson once many years ago in high school and I really liked the campus and its location. Hopefully security is better in study spaces around campus, such as the library. I always feel safer walking out in the evening in busy city centres like downtown Toronto compared to more remote areas such as where York is located. The way I see it, there are lots of witnesses around in downtown Toronto, but if someone mugs you near York and no one is around to see/hear you, no one will be able to help you.

I didn't know if you would need to relocate near campus, drive or rely on public transportation. As a carless person, I was commenting on the fact that the York area is not so safe. If you don't have a car, one of the biggest intersections nearby is Jane and Finch, and you would most certainly need to take a Finch bus to Jane and walk back to campus to do stuff like go to your internship, grocery shopping, meeting up with friends, etc... While York's campus is huge and has lots of amenities (if I remember correctly, a hair dresser, grocery store, dentist, etc) you would still need to leave the campus from time to time. But for people with a car this isn't so much of an issue.

Anyhow, you've decide to go with Ryerson. I think it's a great choice. All the best on your studies!

Edited by jenste